Skip to main content

I get the whole cap thing and how that played into the Fuller talks... but I have to laugh at the draft pick part of it just for the sake of doing so.  While it's a rather short tenure so far, I think Gutenfarter has shown us that drafting quality football players isn't exactly a strength of his to date.  

You remove AR from this football team and we're looking at 1970's/1980's Packer football.  

@Timpranillo posted:

You would have to be a moron to move on from AR as long as he's performing at this level.

You would have to be criminally insane to do it before the 2021 season where his cap hit would be $31M if you got rid of him before 6/1 and it would be $14M in 2021 and $17M in 2022 if after 6/1.

You would be committing a crimes against humanity to do that and take those cap hits before the 2021 season where the cap figure may be significantly lower due to Covid.

If all you care about is your precious cap space more than winning, then doing anything earlier than between the 2021 and 2022 is pants on head crazy.

And, all that aside, I'm willing to bet Jordan Love won't even be as good as Sam Darnold. Let alone even approaching AR replacement.

If Jordan Love is just an average guy we potentially pissed away a puncher's chance to win a Super Bowl to roll into the mid-2020s to eventually look to upgrade at QB while winning between 5 and 8 games a year. If Love is an All-Pro, then you somewhat forgive Gutey. If Love is just average, Gutey should lose his job.

Yeah I mean the idea of the '20 draft, while well intentioned to set the team up BEYOND '20, is just looking like a huge swing/miss at the moment. Ask me again in 2024 when Love is looking like Mahomes 2.0. We all wanted a receiver, there's a convincing argument to be made that they did the right thing LONG TERM, but in the short term its disappointing. You want to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to player development (e.g. MVS, EQ, etc.), but its looking more and more like they lied to themselves about what they had on the roster.

Last edited by Grave Digger
@Timpranillo posted:

And, all that aside, I'm willing to bet Jordan Love won't even be as good as Sam Darnold. Let alone even approaching AR replacement.

Oh Bullshit! I'll bet my left nut Love can throw as many INT's as Darnold

No issue if the Fuller deal was lopsided. I do have an issue with the front office constantly averting scrutiny by always being in the conversation but never landing guys. It's a cowardly practice, if indeed that is the case.

I also take issue with other top level organizations being vigilant about ways to improve their team, while GB barely ever dips their toe in the water. We've watched for a good 15 years Belicheat bring guys in throughout the course of regular seasons. Sometimes it pans out, sometimes not. But you can't argue that BB isn't looking for ways to improve the roster. Roseman in Philly, Reid in Philly and KC, Jerry Jones to a lesser degree- seem to be on the good end of deals on a regular basis. Or at least, like in the case of JJ, they might miss but they're swinging the bat.

And if it's simply a case of minding the cap, what are these franchises doing that the cap seems to be minor inconvenience rather than deal breakers? When you've assembled a decent roster, like I think the Pack usually does, you're going to have weak spots. It's true for every team. But when your weak spots are glaring, year after year, and you show little to no effort, it stands to reason that your fanbase should question wtf you are doing. We all see the way they have lost games in the last two years. We all see that when they are at their best, they are possibly a shade under competing for a SB berth. Where is the disconnect with this personnel dept?

Emanuel Sanders has been a value to each team that scooped him up. Minkah Fitzpatrick solidified a defense that is now 7-0. Reid rolled the dice with Lev Bell. Tampa with AB. If nothing else, Gute could use a more convincing argument than "we made a call."  Would it not stand to reason that hitting the jackpot a year ago with the Smiths might make you more inclined to stay in the FA game?

Titan's dump Vic Beasley in a surprise release this AM. Really hasn't been the same player since 2015. But still racked up 8.5 sacks last season.

I wonder if Gute will make the mo....

Oh Hell, what am I even saying, nevermind.

Bears have reportedly dumped Ted Ginn.  I'd rather have Ginn  and cost us no draft choice than Fuller costing us a 2nd.  Especially since we play da Bears twice yet and Ginn may want some revenge.

Last edited by ammo

I don't think Gute and Co. are going to sign anyone. Drafting players in this next draft will be a crapshoot, again, because of Covid and the lack of any draftee's onfield playing time, to see who's available at GBs picks. Our Scouts will have their hands full. While I hated Gute's draft, last April, I ended up liking what I saw from his draftee's. That being said, we cannot do that kind of draft, again, when we know what positions we need to draft, to improve this team. We definitely need WR, ILB and a run stopping DT, or two, all glaring needs, right now.

Tundra,  I would bet good money that Gute and company know they have to address WR, ILB, and DL.   What I think we saw last year was they went for the classic BPA and not for position of need.  This coming draft they are going to have to go after positions of need they just have to and cannot afford to ignore it again.

But, I will say I think it is fair to say the Gute was going to need 2-3 drafts/FA classes to mold and rebuild the roster for what he needed after what ROTTT did the last few years in GB.

All that being said they are going to HAVE to address the front seven and stopping the run.  I don't care how they do it new coaching, spend on FAs, or spend the entire draft on it they have to get that defense right.

This talk of Love (hopefully) being our very own Mahomes 2.0 at some point in the near future cracks me up.

The joke's on us when Love develops into a Pro Bowl quarterback for the Packers, and he has nobody to throw the ball to.

@The Heckler posted:

Tundra,  I would bet good money that Gute and company know they have to address WR, ILB, and DL.   What I think we saw last year was they went for the classic BPA and not for position of need.  This coming draft they are going to have to go after positions of need they just have to and cannot afford to ignore it again.

No, I don't think he does know he has to address 3 positions he was in prime position to address this year.

If Love, Dillon and Degouroahgl;ahgofhy are BPA then his fucking board sucks.

Last edited by Henry

"Bears have reportedly dumped Ted Ginn.  I'd rather have Ginn  and cost us no draft choice than Fuller costing us a 2nd.  Especially since we play da Bears twice yet and Ginn may want some revenge."

Have you watched any Bears games?  Ginn has nothing to offer.

@Henry posted:

No, I don't think he does know he has to address 3 positions he was in prime position to address this year.

Exactly...   If that is BPA to them, we are in a world of shit.

Disgusting fat body Private Pile said it best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnTU4dKpoB8

Last edited by BrainDed
@Henry posted:

I don't think that's true. Plenty of stuff has come out indicating those players weren't over or under drafted. Just because they're the BPA though doesn't mean you HAVE to draft them. Kind of felt like the vibe from Gute on the Love pick was that they basically had no choice but to take Love because no other players were of correct value to them. I think that's a cop out, I think he could have found a deal to move back and get even better value. I think they over estimated their talent at WR, probably blaming production issues on the WR coach they canned, as well as confidence in finding a veteran LB(s) that would shore up that spot.

This talk of Love (hopefully) being our very own Mahomes 2.0 at some point in the near future cracks me up.

The joke's on us when Love develops into a Pro Bowl quarterback for the Packers, and he has nobody to throw the ball to.

He's Taysom Hill 2.0. 

I don't think that's true. Plenty of stuff has come out indicating those players weren't over or under drafted. Just because they're the BPA though doesn't mean you HAVE to draft them. Kind of felt like the vibe from Gute on the Love pick was that they basically had no choice but to take Love because no other players were of correct value to them. I think that's a cop out, I think he could have found a deal to move back and get even better value. I think they over estimated their talent at WR, probably blaming production issues on the WR coach they canned, as well as confidence in finding a veteran LB(s) that would shore up that spot.

Over estimated players they scouted and had in their system for a couple of years?  If that is so they have no business evaluating the next crop of guys.

Blaming a canned coach?  Who hired that failure?

@grignon posted:

"Bears have reportedly dumped Ted Ginn.  I'd rather have Ginn  and cost us no draft choice than Fuller costing us a 2nd.  Especially since we play da Bears twice yet and Ginn may want some revenge."

His main value has always been as a returner. He's 11th in NFL history in total punt and kick return yards all time. He's averaged 10 yards per punt return over his career on extremely high volume (262 returns).

@michiganjoe posted:

As long as we have Oren Burks everything is okay.

@grignon posted:

I thought AR12 made every WR better.  You also have to consider who Ginn has or maybe does not have throwing to him.

His main value has always been as a returner. He's 11th in NFL history in total punt and kick return yards all time. He's averaged 10 yards per punt return over his career on extremely high volume (262 returns).

Problem is he's not 2015 Ted Ginn. This is 2020 Ted Ginn of the 5 yards per punt return and 3 catches in 6 games. Already got guys on the roster that can do that and more.

@PackerHawk posted:

Problem is he's not 2015 Ted Ginn. This is 2020 Ted Ginn of the 5 yards per punt return and 3 catches in 6 games. Already got guys on the roster that can do that and more.

Agree. They'd be better off with Tramon Williams as a PR and emergency DB.

@PackerHawk posted:

Speaking of failed white WR news:

Maybe he sold the team some snow tires?

View this post on Instagram

Back at it 🤙🏼

A post shared by Jeff Janis (@jrjanis) on

I made sarcastic posts about him as much as anyone, but he didn't fail. A 7th round pick managed to play 4 years in the NFL. He's not supposed to be a star WR. He was a very good special teams player and contributed as a gunner on punt return defense. If you got that much contribution from most 7th round picks, you'd be fine. We got Driver with a 7th round pick, but that's obviously rare.

Link copied to your clipboard.