Skip to main content

5 & 6 years in the league.....lotsa tape for teams to decide. 

Especially Haha who has been collecting a paycheck while not damaging himself for about 3 years now. He's not interested in becoming a HoF'r -- just gimme dat money!

Grave Digger posted:
michiganjoe posted:

They can have him. His play dropped off in 2019 apparently. I hadn’t looked closely when he was first released, his reputation was still elite run stuffer. Apparently even that area has diminished. If we’re signing someone to pair with KC give me inglorious bastards like Jarran Reed or Michael Pierce. 

Joseph was the key to the Vikings defense if you ask me. When he wasn't on the field they were not nearly as good. They swapped him for the guy from TN or wherever he is from and paid more, but got younger.

Not sure they got better. 

Interesting that Jadeveon Clowney is still sitting out there. same with WR Robby Anderson. 

Both are rumored to be asking a lot. And so it seems teams thus far aren't willing to pay their asking price. 

BrainDed posted:

My takes so far:

1. I would have paid Bulaga the 10 per for 3 years.   That's a cheap deal for one of the best RT's in the game.  Yes, he has injury concerns, but we have a aging QB and OL should be a top priority.  
  2. Happy as a clam that we've moved on from Martinez and acquired a ILB with some coverage skills.   Gives us some flexibility in the draft and we can run a platoon with a thumper if we want to. 
  3. I thought Ervin was RFA and we could have had him for cheap?   If accurate, don't understand letting him hit the market.   He provides value in the return game and his similar style to Jones means we wouldn't have to alter game plan if Jones leaves mid game. 
  4. Speaking of Jones, if we are pinching pennies in order to give him a mega deal, I don't like that.   I love the kid, but paying RB's top dollar is not a good use of cap space.   You get more bang for your buck in other postions as RB is so reliant on o-line performance. 

1. You're assuming Bulaga plays those three years. 

2. Agree

3. Agree

4. I'll wait and see if they give him a big contract. I'll bet it doesn't happen till the season is rolling.

Melvin Gordon is also sitting there.  The latest mock drafts don't even have Jonathan Thomas in the 1st round anymore.  Only 1 RB is slotted to go in the first, and that's quite late in the 1st round 

That sorta tells you where the RB market is. And that doesn't bode well for Aaron Jones. 

AtTheMurph posted:
Grave Digger posted:
michiganjoe posted:

They can have him. His play dropped off in 2019 apparently. I hadn’t looked closely when he was first released, his reputation was still elite run stuffer. Apparently even that area has diminished. If we’re signing someone to pair with KC give me inglorious bastards like Jarran Reed or Michael Pierce. 

Joseph was the key to the Vikings defense if you ask me. When he wasn't on the field they were not nearly as good. They swapped him for the guy from TN or wherever he is from and paid more, but got younger.

Not sure they got better. 

I think in the past that’s been true, but Joseph was down in 2019. Not bad, certainly would have been a starter for us, but he doesn’t offer much beyond wide bodied gap control anymore. They swapped him out for Michael Pierce who might be the top run stuffing NT in the league right now. Not a complete DT by any means, but he’s a beast in the middle.

They got concerningly better in the middle with Pierce considering their other front 7 players. 

The 3 yr/$30M contracts seem to be the going rate for the "name" FA OT signings. The guaranteed dollars are where they differentiate.
We still don't know the particulars of Bulaga's deal, but if his guarantee was @ $15M-$18M, I would've thought long and hard about offering him that.

Free Agent OL Signings 

YATittle posted:
BrainDed posted:

My takes so far:

1. I would have paid Bulaga the 10 per for 3 years.   That's a cheap deal for one of the best RT's in the game.  Yes, he has injury concerns, but we have a aging QB and OL should be a top priority.  
  2. Happy as a clam that we've moved on from Martinez and acquired a ILB with some coverage skills.   Gives us some flexibility in the draft and we can run a platoon with a thumper if we want to. 
  3. I thought Ervin was RFA and we could have had him for cheap?   If accurate, don't understand letting him hit the market.   He provides value in the return game and his similar style to Jones means we wouldn't have to alter game plan if Jones leaves mid game. 
  4. Speaking of Jones, if we are pinching pennies in order to give him a mega deal, I don't like that.   I love the kid, but paying RB's top dollar is not a good use of cap space.   You get more bang for your buck in other postions as RB is so reliant on o-line performance. 

1. You're assuming Bulaga plays those three years. 

2. Agree

3. Agree

4. I'll wait and see if they give him a big contract. I'll bet it doesn't happen till the season is rolling.

1.  Oh man that's a tough one but I think it is a lot to expect Bulaga to be available all three years of the contract.  Tough to see him go but I think YA is right we could be seeing a Sitton/Lang situation with him and I the Packers made the right move in letting him go early than being stuck with dead money later. 

2.  I would not have been against keeping Martinez around for depth but not at the contract he got in free agency

3.  Ervin is good and provides some speed depth at RB so I would try and keep him around if the price is right.  They need someone who is a threat in the return game

4.  I really struggle with paying a RB much past their first contract.  I really like what Jones brings to the team but I would much rather they pay Kenny Clark first.

packerboi posted:

Melvin Gordon is also sitting there.  The latest mock drafts don't even have Jonathan Thomas in the 1st round anymore.  Only 1 RB is slotted to go in the first, and that's quite late in the 1st round 

That sorta tells you where the RB market is. And that doesn't bode well for Aaron Jones. 

I hope you mean Jonathon Taylor, the footballer and not Jonathon Taylor Thomas, the actor.   

ammo posted:
packerboi posted:

I hope you mean Jonathon Taylor, the footballer and not Jonathon Taylor Thomas, the actor.   

Oops yep, sorry Taylor. 😜

michiganjoe posted:

Rams releasing Todd Gurley and Clay Matthews.

Wonder if CM would come for an inexpensive vet deal? He's not a starter, but he had 8 sacks last year. Depending on money he wouldn't be bad depth. 

AR and others spoke numerous times this year about how much better the lockerroom was this year compared to the past, pointing to the defense......why would you want to bring any of these guys back & risk that chemistry? 

Do we know CM was the problem or even A problem? The lockerroom seems different because it seems the complacency is greatly reduced and vocal leaders have returned. I'm not pushing for CM to be signed, just a thought because he had 8 sacks a year ago and depth behind Gary had 0 sacks a year ago, but I think you could make a case for multiple guys like HHCD, Randall, Daniels, etc. as problems before CM. If anything I got the impression CM had no interest in being a leader, which isn't a negative or a positive.

Walterfootball keeps singing the praises of the Giants for signing Martinez because of how excellent he is in coverage. Did I miss something on watching Martinez play? Did Walterfootball watch him play? Apparently not. 

Clay looked horrible in the Rams games I saw both holding the edge, guessing, speed to the QB (always a step or two late) and generally just not half the asset the Smith brothers were for us this year. I'll bet someone throws three million at him, but I think he's done.

Grave Digger posted:

. If anything I got the impression CM had no interest in being a leader, which isn't a negative or a positive.

It has been my experience that anytime the "recognized" best player on defense has no interest in leadership that is not good for defense. 

ammo posted:

And if anybody gets out of line the Smith Brothers would beat the shit out of them.

I also really believe they don't want to mess with the culture that started to flourish last year on defense...they are real picky about their choices...

Seven most logical landing spots for Todd Gurley :  by 

SteveLuke posted:

Mike Daniels, HaHa, Damarious Randall, Morgan Burnett, Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Jake Ryan ... any other recent former Packer defensive starters who are available to be picked up on the cheap?

Nothing personal directed at you, SteveLuke, but the only way I'd consider any of those players is if we had an injury-decimated defense, and were tanking the season.

Considering what's currently at ILB and OLB depth I'd be just fine with Matthews at a very reasonable salary.  If the leadership is in place then why would Matthews be disruptive if he wasn't concerned with said leadership before?

It was a bad culture period.  Pettine wasn't going to be making major changes with McVince running the show.  There's no reason to think Matthews wouldn't benefit from the house cleaning just like other vets on the squad. 

Last edited by Henry
PackLandVA posted:

That slam you heard a couple of months ago was the Rams window closing. Today, the blinds were dropped. 

But on the bright side for them, they do have Jared Goff locked in for at least 3 more years and his cap charge is only 36 million this year. 

They could have cut him if they were willing to take on a 92 million dollar cap charge. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/lo...ms/jared-goff-18949/

FLPACKER posted:
Grave Digger posted:

. If anything I got the impression CM had no interest in being a leader, which isn't a negative or a positive.

It has been my experience that anytime the "recognized" best player on defense has no interest in leadership that is not good for defense. 

I agree, but these guys aren’t necessarily paid to be vocal leaders. Guy did his job and played his ass off here for almost a decade and while he got paid handsomely for it, I don’t think it should be held against him that he wasn’t going above and beyond. Maybe the defense needed him to be more, but the defense needs more than just 1 leader. Once Woodson left there was a void that wasn’t filled until Z Smith. Ted should have brought in vet leaders, it wasn’t Clay’s problem to solve.

I would welcome Clay’s 1000% effort even if he isn’t mentoring young players. We have leaders and I’ve never heard or read anything about him causing problems. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

If he can play and the price is right then do it.  The Packers have a serious need.  Clay could be there for awhile yet.  Doesn't mean they have to rush to sign him if it comes to it.

Last edited by Henry
Link copied to your clipboard.