Skip to main content

So Gary Anderson who was Love's coach last season at Utah State was fired this week. They were off to an 0-3 start this season after going 7-6 last season.  Was Anderson's coaching the reason Love had a bad year last year and he is more inclined to play like he did in 2018 and not how he played in 2019?  From a Badger 247 article:     

β€œIf you do some comparisons and look at our program only two years ago around the first of December, we were first or second in the country in scoring offense, top-5 in total offense and were ranked No. 19 in the country,” Hartwell said, via Trent Wood of the Deseret News. β€œNot even two years later, those tables have been flipped in the wrong direction.”

This was Andersen’s second season in his second stint with Utah State, as he previously coached the Aggies from 2009 to 2012 prior to leaving for Wisconsin. He then left Wisconsin for Oregon State after just two seasons in an odd move, and the Beavers fired Andersen during his third season in 2017.

Andersen didn’t particularly take advantage of having a first-round pick at quarterback last season in Jordan Love, as Utah State went just 7-6 and lost 42-14 to in-state rival BYU. Hartwell said that BYU’s recent success relative to the Aggies played a role in the decision.

@PackLandVA posted:

Surprised to see no e of the Packers rookies made the Mid-Season All Rookie Team.  Go figure.

Packer-less All Rookie Team

The results of the Packers picks in the first 4 rounds of this draft (the top 3 rounds plus the 4th rounder given up to move up for Love) who were all offensive players have played a total of 80 snaps on offense and 55 on special teams. I'd like to see if that has ever happened before in the salary cap ear (where the picks from the first 4 rounds of a draft have played fewer than 100 snaps over the first 8 games on offense or defense). It would have been a little better had DeGuara not been hurt, but was he really going to play over Tonyan, Lewis, or Sternberger anyway?

Snap counts

https://www.pro-football-refer...2020-snap-counts.htm

Player, Offensive snaps, Defensive snaps, Special Teams

1. Love, 0/0/0

2. Dillon 49/0/47

3. DeGuara 31/0/8

5. K. Martin 0/71/12

6. Runyon 56/0/40

6. Hanson 0/0/0

6. Stepaniak 0/0/0

7. V. Scott 0/36/85

7. Garvin 0/85/22

An UDFA, Barnes has 0/240/60.

There have been a total of 1241 snaps over the first 8 games and that's a cumulative total of 13,651 player snaps (snaps times 11 players/snap). If you include special teams, Packer rookies have accounted for about 4% of the total. If you include only offense and defensive snaps (a cumulative total of 11,264), then its 377 out of 11,264 (3.3%).   

Of the 6 that have played, only Runyon is an OL, so all the other have counting stats you can measure.

Total offensive contributions. 22 carries, 97 yards. 2 receptions, 28 yards.

Total defensive contributions. 20 tackles, 1 sack.

Has any team in history had less contributions from a rookie class during the first half of a season?  I realize that we won't be able to judge this draft until we see the first 3 picks start games someday, but this level is hard to imagine in the salary cap era where you can't just hold onto all of your veterans for years at a time.

@Fedya posted:

So Gary Anderson who was Love's coach last season at Utah State was fired this week. They were off to an 0-3 start this season after going 7-6 last season.

Are you blind or just can't read?

So Gary Anderson who was Love's coach last season at Utah State was fired this week. They were off to an 0-3 start this season after going 7-6 last season.  Was Anderson's coaching the reason Love had a bad year last year and he is more inclined to play like he did in 2018 and not how he played in 2019?  From a Badger 247 article:     

β€œIf you do some comparisons and look at our program only two years ago around the first of December, we were first or second in the country in scoring offense, top-5 in total offense and were ranked No. 19 in the country,” Hartwell said, via Trent Wood of the Deseret News. β€œNot even two years later, those tables have been flipped in the wrong direction.”

This was Andersen’s second season in his second stint with Utah State, as he previously coached the Aggies from 2009 to 2012 prior to leaving for Wisconsin. He then left Wisconsin for Oregon State after just two seasons in an odd move, and the Beavers fired Andersen during his third season in 2017.

Andersen didn’t particularly take advantage of having a first-round pick at quarterback last season in Jordan Love, as Utah State went just 7-6 and lost 42-14 to in-state rival BYU. Hartwell said that BYU’s recent success relative to the Aggies played a role in the decision.

@Pikes Peak posted:

Down the road 60 years or so I hope the young Packer fans of today will be lamenting the passing of Packer great Jordan Love.

The Packers have drafted 96 players in the first round of the NFL draft. To date, 4 of them have made the NFL Hall of Fame and Rodgers will make it 5. Of course, you are saying that Jordan Love will make it six?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...st-round_draft_picks

Of the four in the HOF, two of them have died in the last two weeks (Hornung and Adderly). The other two are Dave Robinson and James Lofton.

@Maynard posted:

To be a little more fair to Love, Andersen would have screwed up using Russell Wilson.  For once I was glad a coach quit on his team.

Tom O'Brien was the coach at NC State who decided to move on from Russell Wilson a year early so he could play Mike Glennon instead. Supposedly it was because they didn't want him playing pro baseball in the spring, but O'Brien probably doesn't do that without Glennon there.

Tom O'Brien was the coach at NC State who decided to move on from Russell Wilson a year early so he could play Mike Glennon instead. Supposedly it was because they didn't want him playing pro baseball in the spring, but O'Brien probably doesn't do that without Glennon there.

mostly true. Russell actually left in the spring wanting to play pro baseball, but then right before the season he changed his mind(similar to Bert).The team had already rolled with Glennon all spring & summer and at the time would rather have 3 years of Glennon over 1 year of Wilson. Hindsight maybe they win the ACC in Wilsons last year (he already graduated but had year of eligibility).

still an unending topic of debate here. but Glennon, Brissett and then Finley all made the NFL and Jakobi Meyers has played QB as well, following Rivers and Wilson. Incredible streak for my team that is mostly mediocre in the ACC

The other factor is they could have been afraid that Glennon would transfer if he didn't start.

I hope Love is doing more than just taking the required reps. I hope he's putting in all the extra work he can. I'd feel better reading something like that rather than "he's doing everything asked." I don't know if they'd toss Love out there this year. If he doesn't perform well, he's going to get torn up by fans and media, which won't do anything for his confidence, and fans would also rag on the front office. If he does well, then the media only kicks up the good ol' QB controversy. I just don't see any positive coming out of it right now. 

It's hard to judge without preseason this year and no game action, but I don't see why they wouldn't hang on to Boyle next year, contract willing. He's more versed in the offense, it seems like he's always been a good teammate, he has some skills, he holds a clipboard well, it's not like he's due a huge contract, etc.

And you want your backup QB spending as much time with the offense as possible, not with the special teams units. The punter has to work with the long-snapper as it is for punts.

WTF are you talking about? I didn't mention punts.
Crosby has had different holders and continues to thrive.
Boyle can do whatever during the week and still a few minutes to set place kicks, not to mention the potential for trick plays with a qb on the field.

Per an update on him about 2 weeks ago, Jordan Love is on the scout team as a number 3 QB and β€œplays” the upcoming teams QB during walk throughs mimicking their schemes.

That’s all he’s doing. He’s not even working with the 2’s because that’s Boyle’s role. While yes, Rodgers and LaFleur have praised his enthusiasm for learning all he can and asking questions etc. bottom line is he’s not even doing drills like a #2 QB does.

They have no desire to use him like a Taysom Hill either.

"If he doesn't perform well, he's going to get torn up by fans and media, which won't do anything for his confidence, and fans would also rag on the front office. If he does well, then the media only kicks up the good ol' QB controversy. I just don't see any positive coming out of it right now."

No one (sane) expects a terrific performance from a  QBs first game in the league.  I think most fans over estimate the influence their opinion has on the psyche of players. The crazies always find something to rage about.

Matt Flynn threw 6 touchdowns passes in a meaningless game 16- I don't recall any QB controversy following (except regarding Rodgers calling a bunch of the plays from the sideline).

There are good reasons to not play Love this year unless absolutely necessary, even though I'd be interested to see how he does.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.