Skip to main content

Interesting that the Packers biggest areas of need are the areas where Gutey has whiffed with his high draft picks, guys who don't even see the field.  ILB--Burks, DT--Adams, CB--Jackson.; TE--Sternberger.  Then add in the trio of WR in mid-rounds in 2018 (Moore, ESB, MVS).  

Alexander, Jenkins and Savage and the punter have been the only consistent contributors from all of his draft picks.  It may be that Gutey's skill set is evaluating current NFL players (Smiths, Amos) and not those in college.

Last edited by slowmo
@slowmo posted:

Interesting that the Packers biggest areas of need are the areas where Gutey has whiffed with his high draft picks, guys who don't even see the field.  ILB--Burks, DT--Adams, CB--Jackson.; TE--Sternberger.  Then add in the trio of WR in mid-rounds in 2018 (Moore, ESB, MVS).  

Alexander, Jenkins and Savage and the punter have been the only consistent contributors from all of his draft picks.  It may be that Gutey's skill set is evaluating current NFL players (Smiths, Amos) and not those in college.

Ted drafted Adams (unless he wasn't in charge of the 2017 draft).

But it was Gutey who screwed up by giving Lowry a second contract last offseason instead of putting that $ to be better use on the defensive line.

@SteveLuke posted:

Ted drafted Adams (unless he wasn't in charge of the 2017 draft).

But it was Gutey who screwed up by giving Lowry a second contract last offseason instead of putting that $ to be better use on the defensive line.

My bad on Adams.  But, I think the overall point remains that we have drafted at what are our current positions of need under him: two ILB (Burks, Summers), one DT (Keke), three WR (Moore, MVS, ESB), two CB's (Alexander, Jackson), one TE (Sternberger).  Only Alexander has contributed.  While some of those were later round picks and not too much could be expected, he choose to use the #12 pick last year on a project (Gary) after spending big bucks in free agency at that exact position.

@fightphoe93 posted:

Anybody know much about Lynn Bowden? I’ve read him described as β€œRandall Cobb 2.0”.

He sounds like a possibility as a potentially good slot player.  Maybe in the 3rd round?

I’ve seen him a lot, he’s a playmaker. I don’t think he’s as savvy as Cobb, but he’s every bit as talented. Played WR, QB, and RB for them and was pretty good at all of them. Id take him in R3 for sure. He’s going to be a solid Slot guy in the NFL, Deebo Samuel type potential and versatility. 

@chickenboy posted:

Sorry for pivot off of the Love topic and apologies if this was discussed earlier but was anybody confused by ESPN and NFL Networks choice for the host and the panelists?

Why Wingo and not Eisen? Why Irvin? Seemed like they left their best talent on the bench. Personally, I would have loved Eisen along with the 'Good Morning Football' folks with a couple of draft experts sprinkled in.

Yes, I had the same thought.  But then while channel surfing I saw that Eisen was on another channel doing Draft-a-thon, which I believe was a covid19 fundraiser.  I much prefer Eisen as the anchor and was puzzled as to why ESPN and NFL network would carry the same show, but I guess that’s why.

@slowmo posted:

My bad on Adams.  But, I think the overall point remains that we have drafted at what are our current positions of need under him: two ILB (Burks, Summers), one DT (Keke), three WR (Moore, MVS, ESB), two CB's (Alexander, Jackson), one TE (Sternberger).  Only Alexander has contributed.  While some of those were later round picks and not too much could be expected, he choose to use the #12 pick last year on a project (Gary) after spending big bucks in free agency at that exact position.

Agree wholeheartedly with your overall sentiment that Gutey's drafting record to date is, at best, ... incomplete.

That is why I am having difficulty abiding by the directive to relax after the round 1 Love pick because immediate help is on the way for the 2020 season in the form of Gutey's picks in rounds 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7.

Just my opinion on some possible day 2 guys.

CB ,Kristian Fulton
CB, Jaylon Johnson
CB, Trevon Diggs
DL, A.J. Epenesa
DL, Justin Madubuike
DL, Marlon Davidson
DL, Neville Gallimore
DL, Ross Blacklock
EDGE, Josh Uche
EDGE, Yetur Gross-Matos
EDGE, Zack Baun
OT, Erza Cleveland
OT, Josh Jones
RB, D’Andre Swift
RB, Jonathan Taylor
S, Antoine Winfield
S, Grant Delpit
S, Xaiver McKinney
WR ,Denzel Mims
WR, Chase Claypool
WR, KJ Hamler
WR, LaViska Shenault
WR, Michael Pittman
WR, Tee Higgins

@H5 posted:

Just my opinion on some possible day 2 guys.

CB ,Kristian Fulton
CB, Jaylon Johnson
CB, Trevon Diggs
DL, A.J. Epenesa
DL, Justin Madubuike
DL, Marlon Davidson
DL, Neville Gallimore
DL, Ross Blacklock
EDGE, Josh Uche
EDGE, Yetur Gross-Matos
EDGE, Zack Baun
OT, Erza Cleveland
OT, Josh Jones
RB, D’Andre Swift
RB, Jonathan Taylor
S, Antoine Winfield
S, Grant Delpit
S, Xaiver McKinney
WR ,Denzel Mims
WR, Chase Claypool
WR, KJ Hamler
WR, LaViska Shenault
WR, Michael Pittman
WR, Tee Higgins

Any 2 will be fine with me....especially Higgins, Mims, Claypool , Baun or Cleveland.

Keep the following in mind.

1. There is no guarantee the NFL season or NCAA season happen this year. 

2. There will be a massive spike in players entering the supplemental draft in June. There will be choices that aren't available today. 

3. The NFL will have to address what constitutes a rookie contact in 2021 if there is no season. 

Crazy times. 

@YATittle posted:

Adams was playing hurt. MVS has lost his mojo

MVS suffered an ankle/knee injury in wk6 v DET last year. He was on the weekly injury report through week 10. He played in week 7 with basically just go routes - note the 2 recpts for 133 yrds in week 7 below. They had a bye in week 11 and he wasn't the same when he returned in week 12 through the end of the season. Being able to plant, cut, and go on a route is so important - and really needs strong ankles.

Some said Adams lost his mojo or something in his yr 2. Now everyone points to his yr 2 ankle injury for the reason he had an down year from his rookie season.

I'm not saying MVS is Adams. To say Adams was hurt, but MVS lost his mojo is just wrong.

MVS up to the ankle/knee injury game.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.