Skip to main content

You have to admire Gute’s balls here. This a career defining pick. He’s done some good things the last 2 years, but this will make or break him.

This kid won’t be 22 until November. He will be the same age as Joe Burrow is now if he takes over as our QB in 2023 (when Rodgers is a UFA). 

I got it.  Trade Rodgers after this year, lose Boyle to FA the next (he'll start in this league, no doubt), and we'll have 10 years of suck.

I said I didn't hate Gutekunst yet.  Well, that didn't age well.

Last edited by Brak
@PackerHawk posted:

So they had to think Seattle, Baltimore or Tennessee were going to draft Love. Why would any of those teams do that?  

I’m guessing they figured those teams would trade out to a team like Indy or NE.

@PackerHawk posted:

So they had to think Seattle, Baltimore or Tennessee were going to draft Love. Why would any of those teams do that?  

Or, they were certain/knew someone else was looking to move up from the early 2nd to get Love.

We know so little.

@Brak posted:

I got it.  Trade Rodgers after this year, lose Boyle to FA the next (he'll start in this league, no doubt), and we'll have 10 years of suck.

I said I didn't hat Gutekunst yet.  Well, that didn't age well.

Technically the best time to dump Rodgers will be after 2021 based on his contract and dead money.

@Pikes Peak posted:

This has been rumored for a few weeks. I like this kid but....

It's one thing to take him at 30, but paying to leapfrog 3 teams that have their guy at QB already? They must really love the guy. I hope to hell this looks like a genius pick 3-4 years from now. 

At this point the NFL can cancel the 2020 season because of the pandemic. I literally don't give a shit at this point.

Most of the teams we would have to play to get to the Super Bowl are having a great draft and getting immediately better.

We drafted a QB who is either 1) going to sit on the bench for 4 seasons; or 2) make #12 demand a trade in 1 to 2 seasons because they are refusing to use the last 4 years of his career to immediately fill the gaps we have that made us fall short of the Super Bowl again.

Everything about this is bad.

@Chongo posted:

Maybe he was the only remaining player they had a first round grade on.

If that's true they need to cash in their chips and go home with their head down in embarrassment.  LB was there.  DT was there.  WR was there.  OT was there.  I mean, those are all HUGE fucking needs. 

Again, I don't know shit about Love but a backup QB in R1 right now is stupid.  

The only way this is a great pick is if we are sitting here in four years mocking the vikings for bypassing a future hof player twice and packers getting him at 26. 

Rodgers cell phone is blowing up with texts from Favre. All Favre is saying is bwaawaaahasaa

Baltimore has the NFL MVP at QB. The Dolphins just drafted Tua. Ryan Tannehill had a 117 QB rating leading the Titans to the AFC Championship Game. Russell Wilson was the right there with Lamar Jackson in the MVP talk until about week 12.

Who was going to draft a QB right before Green Bay? No one. That was a complete panic move by our General Manager. If Love was the target, there wasn’t a single team ahead of Green Bay at # 30 that was going to take him.

Perspective in needed though:

1. this is the deepest WR draft we’ve ever seen and there will be options on Day 2. Don’t forget that same draft as Rodgers we took a franchise Safety in R2, took an elite WR in R2 the next year and took elite pass catchers in R2 and R3 over the next 3 seasons. We can shore up WR tomorrow.

2. Recent history says you take a run stuffer in R4. We can find a 1T hog on the DL.

3. Plenty of other quality ILBs available tomorrow like Malik Harrison and Logan Wilson. 

4. There will be UFA cuts that we can pick up to shore up needs. These aren’t Ted Thompson’s Packers, Gute doesn’t ONLY rely on the draft. 

yep, ravens just getting better.  put love in at ilb. jesus.  this is the 2nd year of first round developmental picks, no immediate starting caliber guys.  i am just not getting it - there are lap fallers all over the place, take the cannoli's...gutey just laid the gauntlet down, this will make or break him, and maybe sooner rather than later.

@PackerHawk posted:

It's one thing to take him at 30, but paying to leapfrog 3 teams that have their guy at QB already? They must really love the guy. I hope to hell this looks like a genius pick 3-4 years from now. 

To me this signals that Rodgers is unhappy and the front office is unwilling to fill what he needs to get to the Super Bowl now... so he's going to demand a trade in the next two years.

That's literally the only thing that could account for this f'd up trade up pick.

@NumberThree posted:

Rodgers will be traded within the next two seasons. He is not going to stick around and there's loads of teams that are going to buy him up.

You don't trade UP in the first round when you have first ballot HOF'er with 4 more seasons.

Something is going on behind the scenes.

Potential franchise QB with a fifth-year option and traded ahead of Seattle, who was looking to move out. 

@Floridarob posted:

The only way this is a great pick is if we are sitting here in four years mocking the vikings for bypassing a future hof player twice and packers getting him at 26. 

Rodgers cell phone is blowing up with texts from Favre. All Favre is saying is bwaawaaahasaa

The Packers will be the ones getting mocked for this horse shit.

While I am not in love with trading up to get him,  I see this as a two-fold move.

First, obviously, to set up for the future. I hope it works out that Rodgers plays as a Packer as long as he says wants, which had said on prior occasions before last year would be until he is 40 in 2023.  He has changed his tune in the last year, saying that seeing Brady and Brees play past 40 has him considering that as well.  But, if he decides to hang it up in 2023, then we have put ourselves in position to be set with a starting QB who, like Rodgers, had a chance to work on his game before being a starter.

However, I also see it as a message to Rodgers he better be fully on board with what MLF has going on, or his replacement is here and the Packers can/will move on from him.  Rodgers has never had a viable replacement during his time here, which emboldened him to power play with MM in the last few years, and perhaps with MLF last year.   

Baltimore has the NFL MVP at QB. The Dolphins just drafted Tua. Ryan Tannehill had a 117 QB rating leading the Titans to the AFC Championship Game. Russell Wilson was the right there with Lamar Jackson in the MVP talk until about week 12.

Who was going to draft a QB right before Green Bay? No one. That was a complete panic move by our General Manager. If Love was the target, there wasn’t a single team ahead of Green Bay at # 30 that was going to take him.

Indy, NE, DET, ATL, and others have QB needs like GB. There’s a chance one could have jumped back into R1. Gute wanted his guy.

I think they were trading ahead of TN. The Titans have Tannehill- not a franchise QB. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.