Skip to main content

In the end, the old adage is defense wins championships.  I have zero issue with the two guys they’ve taken.  Both guys are big and strong and athletic as hell.  Walker in particular could be that side to side guy they haven’t had in my lifetime, and Wyatt gives them another good DL to partner up with KC.  

The fact of the matter is if they wanted one  of the top WRs it would have cost them a 2nd at a minimum if not both 1s - especially for a guy like Olave.  That’s simply too much to give up IMO.

Keep taking the BPA and trust the FO and coaches to draft and develop these guys. Other than Love and a couple of others they’ve found some decent players in the draft.  

Would anyone be opposed to trading the 3rd round pick on principle?

Move up in round 2, trade it for a couple of 4th rounders, or send it to some team for a WR or TE, because for some reason the Green Bay Packers are incapable of hitting on 3rd round picks.

Over the past decade the selections have been Alex Green, Khyri Thornton, Ty Montgomery, Kyler Fackrell, Montravious Adams, Oren Burks, Jace Sternberger, Josiah Degaura, and Amari Rodgers.

And it is not like GB has not hit Gold on later than 3rd round picks like Bak, Aaron Jones, and Corey Linsley. Heck, even MVS was as productive as any 3rd rounder listed above.

Also, as stated elsewhere, it is not like there has not been real talent on the board at positions of need when the Pack took this collection of misfits - Sternberger being selected one pick before McLaurin being perhaps the most painful recent example (Kenny Golloday went 3 picks after Montravious Adams in 2017).

It just seems like something weird happens to GB in round 3, so if they keep it I hope they take an entirely different approach because it is time to change the bad juju surrounding round 3.

@Tschmack posted:

There’s a lot of recency bias with the draft

Morgan Burnett, J Mike, James Jones, Mike McKenzie, William Henderson, Ty Williams and Brian Williams are some notable 3rd rounders.  Granted, it looks bad the last decade, but you can find decent guys in R3.  

antonio freeman. ron wolf used to clean up in the third round

Last edited by Jessie Clark
@Tschmack posted:

Morgan Burnett, J Mike, James Jones, Mike McKenzie, William Henderson, Ty Williams and Brian Williams are some notable 3rd rounders.  Granted, it looks bad the last decade, but you can find decent guys in R3.  

The Packers, like all teams have hit some in every round and missed some in every round.  We all need to acknowledge that a good percentage of players are undrafted.

@Tschmack posted:

If any of Bak, Linsley, Mike Daniels, Micah Hyde, or Aaron Jones (all + NFL players who got and deserved decent 2nd contracts and were taken AFTER round 3 over the past decade) were 3rd round picks, then I doubt anyone would be talking about a 3rd round jinx or curse over the past 10 years, but it is uncanny how bad  round 3 has gone for GB considering they've done much better in rounds 2, 4, and 5.

Seriously not excited about Pickens at all after seeing some of his tape.  Recent ACL injury plus he just looks slow when he runs, route running looks very "meh" and doesn't look at all explosive.  I'm starting to like the Christian Watson pick more after hearing about his route running and performance at Senior Bowl and Jalen Tolbert is still my favorite remaining receiver.  Watson could be a deep threat with his speed and Tolbert has the better route running ability it looks like now.  Tolbert seems to have a little chip on his shoulder also and would likely work really hard, Watson too.  Packers have done well with non-SEC blue chip receivers (Jennings from Western Michigan and even Davante from Fresno).  I'd actually love to see Watson with Packers first pick in 2nd round (might require a trade up) and then Tolbert with the second pick in 2nd.  This might not be possible. 

@Tschmack posted:

In the end, the old adage is defense wins championships.  I have zero issue with the two guys they’ve taken.  Both guys are big and strong and athletic as hell.  Walker in particular could be that side to side guy they haven’t had in my lifetime, and Wyatt gives them another good DL to partner up with KC.  

The fact of the matter is if they wanted one  of the top WRs it would have cost them a 2nd at a minimum if not both 1s - especially for a guy like Olave.  That’s simply too much to give up IMO.

Keep taking the BPA and trust the FO and coaches to draft and develop these guys. Other than Love and a couple of others they’ve found some decent players in the draft.  

The fact our WR group is so barren is a result of the past, which can't be changed.  I don't know anyone necessarily knew for sure Adams wanted to go to the Raiders until it was too late to do anything about it.  So, here we are.

Last night, there weren't any receivers at our picks worth taking.  None of the so-called big names were worth moving up for.  BPA was the only valid strategy, and they both happened to be on defense.  I'm good with that. 

Fast forward to round two, I'm not sure there are any receivers worth trading up for either.  It sucks it landed this way, but there you have it.  Hopefully there are receivers worth taking in the second round, but I wouldn't reach or panic.  See what's left at our pick and choose one if he's the BPA.  (warning, cliche coming) You get in trouble when you reach for players.

Yes, our WR situation is atrocious for various reasons not to mention neglect.  And then Adams left.  And then there were no FA receivers available that could be much help.  And then this year's draft I believe was overrated at the WR position.  It sucks, but we're going to pay the price.  I think we might be able to help the position with other picks, but we're not going to fix it this year.  We might have to accept the fact that it will be a rough season on offense.  Maybe another rough season next year as well.  At least AR got his though.  Maybe he can throw to himself.

@SteveLuke posted:

Would anyone be opposed to trading the 3rd round pick on principle?

Move up in round 2, trade it for a couple of 4th rounders, or send it to some team for a WR or TE, because for some reason the Green Bay Packers are incapable of hitting on 3rd round picks.

Over the past decade the selections have been Alex Green, Khyri Thornton, Ty Montgomery, Kyler Fackrell, Montravious Adams, Oren Burks, Jace Sternberger, Josiah Degaura, and Amari Rodgers.

And it is not like GB has not hit Gold on later than 3rd round picks like Bak, Aaron Jones, and Corey Linsley. Heck, even MVS was as productive as any 3rd rounder listed above.

Also, as stated elsewhere, it is not like there has not been real talent on the board at positions of need when the Pack took this collection of misfits - Sternberger being selected one pick before McLaurin being perhaps the most painful recent example (Kenny Golloday went 3 picks after Montravious Adams in 2017).

It just seems like something weird happens to GB in round 3, so if they keep it I hope they take an entirely different approach because it is time to change the bad juju surrounding round 3.

Nope.  They should package all their 3rd round picks for the next ten years and see if they can get another 2nd today.

I'd be totally fine with Edge too.  Anything defense, if the value is there and outweighs available WRs, take it.

The bed has already been shat.  You aren't putting that explosive diarrhea back in the tube.

I'd also be okay moving up for Watson but I get the feeling there won't be many teams willing to trade back.  Well, except for the Vikings.  What's 20 spots in first round to essentially gain one 2nd round pick?

Last edited by Henry

Maybe another rough season next year as well.  At least AR got his though.  Maybe he can throw to himself.

Yep, he needs to shut his god damn trap and play team ball.  That includes working intensively with rookies and 2nd year guys.

Doesn't sound like the TE class is particularly good but I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted a pass catching TE they saw as better immediate value.

Last edited by Henry

I want another edge, but they’ll likely have to trade up to get Mafe, who would be my first choice. I know Drake Jackson fits Gutekunst’s young guy profile more, but he showed with Wyatt he’ll go talent over age, when needed. MyJai Sanders is still on my wish list if not Mafe, and Malone and Barno I wouldn’t hate either.

Mafe/Pierce would be a dream round 2, for me.

@Floridarob posted:

heads are going to explode tonight when Pickens is available when the Packers pick tonight and they end up picking a safety or edge rusher.

There's a reason Pickens stock has fallen, he's a headcase.  Many scouts have said if he wants to succeed he needs to go to a team with a veteran receiving core that won't put up with his antics.  We...do not have that.

Getting two first round draft picks in one of the best receiver drafts in recent memory while implementing a draft plan of moving up in the second round to get a receiver no one really wanted anyway but you're forced to move up out of desperation of not getting a single receiver at all is the most Packers draft thing ever.

We are literally a draft class/FA trade away from a Super Bowl, and they mailed it in with stupidity.

I wouldn't mind trading up using that 3rd to trade up and get Pickens or another WR that can play this year.  My big concern with this WR group is that an opposing defense can just play man with a single high safety, playing 8 in the box all game.  If your WRs can't get open versus man coverage, there isn't a whole lot the offense can do to "scheme" them open. 

There still are a few free agents out there but if a WR isn't selected by the end of the night, I'll be concerned.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.