Skip to main content

Sean Clifford

Player Bio
The 2016 Elite 11 finalist and top-five pro-style passer recruit nationally out of Ohio played in four games as a redshirt freshman in 2018 (5-7-71.4%, 195 yards, two TDs). Clifford took over as the Penn State starter in 2019, receiving honorable mention All-Big Ten notice (189-319-59.2%, 2,654 yards, 23 TDs, seven INTs passing; 116-402-3.5, five TDs rushing). He started eight of nine games in 2020 (152-251-60.6%, 1,883 yards, 16 TDs, nine INTs passing; 99-335-3.4, three TDs rushing), though he split time with Will Levis (who transferred to Kentucky after the season). His brother, Liam, signed to play receiver at Penn State in 2021. Clifford started all 13 games in 2021, garnering honorable mention All-Big Ten Conference honors (261-428-61.0%, 3,107 yards, 21 TDs, eight INTs passing; 99-163-1.6, two TDs rushing). He was also a finalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy (also known as the Academic Heisman). Clifford became Penn State's second four-time team captain in 2022, receiving honorable mention all-conference honors again by starting all 13 games (226-351-64.4%, 2,822 yards, 24 TDs, seven INTs, 69-176-2.6, five TDs rushing). He was the Rose Bowl Offensive MVP (16-21-76.2%, 279 yards, two TDs) as well as a finalist for the Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year Award. Clifford set several Penn State career records, including passing yards (10,661) and yards of total offense (11,734). -- by Chad Reuter
Overview
Mobile four-year starter with desired NFL intangibles and leadership, but a lack of passing talent. Clifford will have his moments, but he doesn’t consistently deliver the ball with accuracy and timing. His arm strength falls below the mark.
Strengths
  • Four-year starter and four-time team captain.
  • Mobility to exit the pocket and move the chains.
  • Shows talent to throw on the move.
  • Throws with proper touch underneath.
  • Able to operate zone-read concepts.
Weaknesses
  • Turns rhythm throws into extended plays unnecessarily.
  • Ball doesn’t come out on time.
  • Sloppy getting feet set to the target.
  • Engages in long staring contests.
  • Lacks desired NFL arm talent.
Last edited by packerboi
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Maybe it was the RAS?

A reach....

It's the end of the 5th round and you're worried about a "reach"?!?!

I don't think you really understand UDFA and the war that goes on after the draft. Some of those UDFA's get paid more than the 7th rounders drafted. Now the Packers don't need to fight with anyone to get a guy they clearly like.

@13X posted:

Gute overdrafting by 3 or 4 rounds again? Another Oren Burks or Degaura-like head scratcher….

Yeah, I wouldn't have taken him until at least the 8th or 9th RD. Kind of a strange pick but I guess we'll find out. I've seen Clifford play pretty well at times and he does have good mobility. He's pretty tough too.

@Maxi54 posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't have taken him until at least the 8th or 9th RD. Kind of a strange pick but I guess we'll find out. I've seen Clifford play pretty well at times and he does have good mobility. He's pretty tough too.

Probably a career backup, which we need. Wolf used to draft a QB almost every year.

@Boris posted:

A reach....

It's the end of the 5th round and you're worried about a "reach"?!?!

I don't think you really understand UDFA and the war that goes on after the draft. Some of those UDFA's get paid more than the 7th rounders drafted. Now the Packers don't need to fight with anyone to get a guy they clearly like.

I definitely understand and yes it’s only a 5th so it’s not the end of the world by any means. It just appears he would have still been there in the 6th or 7th round.

@Maxi54 posted:

The best QBs are drafted in the 17th round.

@YATittle posted:

Probably a career backup, which we need. Wolf used to draft a QB almost every year.

I don't think anyone disagrees with taking a QB at some point, but expected taking one with arm talent at this point.

@Blair Kiel posted:

Is this the point that I declare that not a one of you knows shit, or do I wait ‘til the end of the draft?

Go ahead and do it now Kiel. It's always a fact regardless of the timing.

I learned to keep my mouth shut and let things play out after the Gary pick. I hated that selection, but it proved once and for all that I don't know shit about how these guys are going to translate to the NFL.

@Maxi54 posted:

Go ahead and do it now Kiel. It's always a fact regardless of the timing.

I learned to keep my mouth shut and let things play out after the Gary pick. I hated that selection, but it proved once and for all that I don't know shit about how these guys are going to translate to the NFL.

Nothing wrong with providing opinions about picks. I know some here liked the Oren Burks pick as well. It’s definitely a crapshoot. I hope Clifford is great. Just seems a bit early to draft him here.

@michiganjoe posted:

He's athletic and tough with a questionable arm that most felt would go undrafted. Not sure when you've got four seventh-rounders why you use a fifth in this situation.

So, there is ZERO chance another of the 31 other teams would draft him. Only the Packers had him with a "5th round grade" The other 31 teams were willing to fight with each other in the UDFA market to get him.

Ok 🤭

@13X posted:

Nothing wrong with providing opinions about picks. I know some here liked the Oren Burks pick as well. It’s definitely a crapshoot. I hope Clifford is great. Just seems a bit early to draft him here.

Oh, I agree 13X. It doesn't hurt at all to prognosticate about these picks and have an opinion. Hell, that's half the fun of watching the draft. We're just like the scouts in that some of our favorite picks pan out and others don't.

It's kind of like fishing. Maybe once in a lifetime you catch a 55+ inch muskie and other times you can't get anything except annoying hammer handle pike!

Last edited by Maxi54

He was one of our 30 pre-draft visits.  They must have seen something in him that they liked.  I would expect more of the pre-draft visit guys to get drafted as well.  Wicks was also one of the 30.

@michiganjoe posted:

He's athletic and tough with a questionable arm that most felt would go undrafted. Not sure when you've got four seventh-rounders why you use a fifth in this situation.

11 QB's went in the 5th. That hasn't happened since 1994. It's this effect:

Image result for brock purdy

@Maxi54 posted:

You don't complete almost 65% of your passes without at least a little bit of accuracy unless each pass is within 2 yds. of the line of scrimmage.

Passes within 2 yds of LoS don't really matter, especially TD passes within 2 yds of the LoS. I read that somewhere.

@Boris posted:

So, there is ZERO chance another of the 31 other teams would draft him. Only the Packers had him with a "5th round grade" The other 31 teams were willing to fight with each other in the UDFA market to get him.

Ok 🤭

A good chance he would have been there in the 7th. Of course no one knows for certain.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.