Skip to main content

The whole “reach” conversation is pretty stupid. I guarantee if there was a way to look at all 32 draft boards, you find multiple “reaches” in every single round.

The Lions took Jahmyr Gibbs with the 12 overall pick. Just about everyone has agreed it was a reach. But I’m guessing the Lions thought he was one of the best 10-15 players. So they grabbed him and THEY don’t consider it a “reach”.

Conversely, how many big boards had guys like Levi’s, Mayer, Washington, Branch, and Ringo as First Rounders. Ja Lin Hyatt, Dawand Jones, Adetowina Adebewore couldn’t even land in the top three rounds.

Just because Mel Kiper and other pundits call it a reach doesn’t make it so.

@PackLandVA posted:

The whole “reach” conversation is pretty stupid. I guarantee if there was a way to look at all 32 draft boards, you find multiple “reaches” in every single round.

The Lions took Jahmyr Gibbs with the 12 overall pick. Just about everyone has agreed it was a reach. But I’m guessing the Lions thought he was one of the best 10-15 players. So they grabbed him and THEY don’t consider it a “reach”.

Conversely, how many big boards had guys like Levi’s, Mayer, Washington, Branch, and Ringo as First Rounders. Ja Lin Hyatt, Dawand Jones, Adetowina Adebewore couldn’t even land in the top three rounds.

Just because Mel Kiper and other pundits call it a reach doesn’t make it so.

You make a good point but it wasn’t just a couple of pundits. It was very similar to when Gute took Oren Burks in the 3rd round when most had him as a 6th rounder. Some on this site defended that pick as well . The draft is a crapshoot for sure. I guarantee you if the Vikings or Bears had taken Clifford in the 5th people on this board would have called it a reach. That said sometimes those that were considered reaches beat the odds and become great picks.

When you're working with that much draft capital and in the fifth round reaching a bit isn't an issue. Think the run on QBs forcing the Packers hand is much more likely than them having a fifth-round grade on Clifford is.

Overall thought it was one of Gutey's better drafts but won't really know anything for several years.

@13X posted:

It was a reach. If any other team had taken him that high we would all agree but because Lord Gutekunst did it we have to soften our statements? Doesn't mean he won't turn into a decent player but it WAS A Fucking Reach In Every Way Sounds like he is very cerebral and athletic other than having shit for an arm. Maybe he is the next Brock PURDY...

You know this because you were privy to every team’s draft board? That’s just dumb.

@Pakrz posted:

We’re talking about a reach in  the 5th round?

Well it’s not the same as reaching in the 1st or 2nd but it’s still a reach. Most thought he wouldn’t be drafted and we had 4 picks in the 7th round. Gute even basically said it was a reach.

@Goalline posted:

You know this because you were privy to every team’s draft board? That’s just dumb.

There are a pile of people out there that thought this was a complete waste of a pic. If you think that’s dumb that’s fine but that is the general consensus. I hope things workout for the kid but it’s not likely. LOTS of folks felt it was a reach.

@13X posted:

There are a pile of people out there that thought this was a complete waste of a pic. If you think that’s dumb that’s fine but that is the general consensus. I hope things workout for the kid but it’s not likely. LOTS of folks felt it was a reach.

Not likely? He’s a 5th rounder! Lots of people all suffering from the same dumb dumb disease that make them think they are experts on NFL draft boards. Unimpressed by any of them.

@Dr._Bob posted:

At some point supply and demand must factor into this.

It does on some level. Gutey even admitted it before the draft.

I'm just never going to call a late 5th round pick "a reach" they need a backup QB and got one they didn't have to fight over in the UDFA market.

Besides.....Gutey, FaceTimed J-Lo before they made the pick. 😆

It was a reach, but if Clifford is as smert as they say he is he might be able to pick the offense up faster to help Love. We do need camp bodies to throw bad passes so we can see how the WRs and TEs do catching outside the body.

@michiganjoe posted:

Love getting too close to his teammates.  It's going to make it harder to throw them under the bus.

Quite an infusion of youngsters on this team. Should make for some spirited practices.

30 years of HOF QB’ing.   Lot of spoiled fans with all the success.  

I grew up in Bares country and despised them and their dumdum fans.

became a Packer fan on my own. My Dad was an Eagles fan.

Steve Odom returned a punt 95 yards and decided that day the packers were my team and #84 was my favorite player.  

Around 1964-65 when I was just getting old enough to start understanding football a little bit, I chose Green Bay as, "my" team right away. I wanted to root for a winner so GB was a natural choice at that time.

I grew up around mostly Bear and Viking fans with a few Packer and Chief faithful sprinkled in. Living in Chicagoland for 25 years later in life helped cultivate my disdain for the Bears.

It's been a heck of a bumpy ride with some definite peaks and valley's, but the overall level of QB play that we've been lucky to have for almost 30 years is crazy. We've been spoiled.

With that said, I'm looking forward to witnessing another reset. Seems like we have quite a few bright and talented young men on the roster. Should be fun watching them develop.

Last edited by Maxi54
@Maxi54 posted:

Around 1964-65 when I was just getting old enough to start understanding football a little bit, I chose Green Bay as, "my" team right away. I wanted to root for a winner so GB was a natural choice at that time.

I grew up around mostly Bear and Viking fans with a few Packer and Chief faithful sprinkled in. Living in Chicagoland for 25 years later in life helped cultivate my disdain for the Bears.

It's been a heck of a bumpy ride with some definite peaks and valley's, but the overall level of QB play that we've been lucky to have for almost 30 years is crazy. We've been spoiled.

With that said, I'm looking forward to witnessing another reset. Seems like we have quite a few bright and talented young men on the roster. Should be fun watching them develop.

I'm from the same era. Growing up in Upstate NY all that was on a B & W TV were the Giants, Jets and Bills.

My Grandfather got Sports Illustrated and when I saw those colored photo's of the 65 Packers I was hooked!

Last edited by Packiderm
@Packiderm posted:

I'm from the same era. Growing up in Upstate NY all that was on a B & W TV were the Giants, Jets and Bills.

My Grandfather got Sports Illustrated and when I saw those colored photo's of the 65 Packers I was hooked!

Growing up in western NY as a teen in the late 60’s with no tv, I listened on the radio to Bart Starr and Vince Lombardi and the GBPackers.  The Bills were in the second class AFL and didn’t matter.  I had a huge poster of Bart and have been a GBP fan ever since - thru the lean years of the 70’s and 80’s and the last wonderful 30 years.  

If Penn State had an earned reputation as a QB factory, I'd be more impressed with the school records. Considering the only "name" QB from Penn State in the recent NFL was Kerry Collins, I'm not holding my breath that Clifford will turn out to be anything other than a backup at best and more likely a PS guy for a year or two before he's cut. If he turns out to be at least a good backup, then Gute did his job.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.