Skip to main content

He may have "it," but he's going to have to learn to not get his receivers killed. At least twice, Clifford put the ball in a spot where the WR had to stretch and reach high, and the guys both got tattooed by the DB. They held on, which shows a lot of toughness, but you don't want your QB throwing to where your own guys take so many shots.

Parcels QB drafting  rules line up with selecting Sean Clifford in the draft. Doesn't mean Clifford will be good, just means he meets a standard set by a pretty good talent evaluator with sound reasoning for the standard. Move the Sticks was talking about GMs trying to find 2023's Brock Purdy. The Parcells rules they apllied to Purdy correlate in the same way with Clifford. If you're looking for a solid backup it's not a bad place to start. There's no way to know if Clifford was Gute's 1st choice, but that he didn't maneuver into the run on QBs might be indicative of his confidence in Love. His QB stable is set to allow his franchise QB to know he's the man. Edit: beyond what's posted in the image a Parcells QB needs to have a 2:1 touchdown to int ratio and a completion percentage over 60.0

Tauscher got into a spirited debate with Wilde today about believing they'll extend Love some time this season. His reasoning was based on Mark Murphy letting it slip that they would know if Love was the guy about 8 games into this season. Tauscher speculated if they have trust in Love he'll be offered a team friendly extension that gives him immediate security the same way Rodgers was his 1st year as a starter. It's a speculative theory, but I think there's some plausibility to it. Love still has to perform, but I definitely made a mental note of it.

Screenshot_20230823-023903_ChromeScreenshot_20230823-024027_Chrome

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Screenshot_20230823-023903_Chrome
  • Screenshot_20230823-024027_Chrome
Last edited by Boris

I was just wondering.  When is the last time a rookie QB shined in camp but ended up being a dud?  And when is the last time such a rookie ended up being really good?  Was it Flynn?  There are always camp darlings that fade away at other positions but I can't recall GB's history with rookie QB's.  Maybe because they just haven't drafted many during AR's tenure.

Real Confidence Helps Clifford Thrive Rather Than Survive

Sports Illustrated

By Bill Huber

8/23/23

“Probably halfway through OTAs, I started to feel like I can make all the throws that are necessary to be in this league,” Clifford said. “And then I would say, probably the second week of this camp, I started to really feel comfortable in and out of the huddle. That’s probably when I was like, ‘OK, now I’m feeling pretty good.’ continue

Last edited by titmfatied
@DH13 posted:

I was just wondering.  When is the last time a rookie QB shined in camp but ended up being a dud?  And when is the last time such a rookie ended up being really good?  Was it Flynn?  There are always camp darlings that fade away at other positions but I can't recall GB's history with rookie QB's.  Maybe because they just haven't drafted many during AR's tenure.

Taysom Hill looked really good against scrubs and has carved out a decent (if unorthodox) career.  He was a guy that like Clifford showed no fear.

People like to talk about the one good preseason game that Hundley had but in the other preseason games he wasn't nearly as good or decisive.  Clifford has been solid the entire preseason.

Clifford was drafted for his intelligence as a backup, to do the research and help break down plays and tell Love what he sees on the field during games, etc.  He was widely known to have great game sense but people thought his arm was lacking.

It just turns out his arm was not at all lacking and he's a real gamer.  Def the best backup QB I've seen here in a long long time.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.