Skip to main content

So SI gave out team grades.  Bears, A+. Well you better get an A+ when you have 2 in the top 10.   But don't worry about depth.   Lions, A. Once again the darlings of the NFL and off season champs.   Packers, B+.  How many players did they draft that were considered the best at that position?  Only a B+  ?     Vikings,  C+. Enough said.   And just for shits and giggles, Dallas, D+. Worst grade of all 32 teams.  Take that Jerry.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04...team-grades-analysis

@ammo posted:

So SI gave out team grades.  Bears, A+. Well you better get an A+ when you have 2 in the top 10.   But don't worry about depth.   Lions, A. Once again the darlings of the NFL and off season champs.   Packers, B+.  How many players did they draft that were considered the best at that position?  Only a B+  ?     Vikings,  C+. Enough said.   And just for shits and giggles, Dallas, D+. Worst grade of all 32 teams.  Take that Jerry.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04...team-grades-analysis

Grades are stupid but how can you only have 4 picks in the entire draft and get an A+?  Especially when one of them is picking whoever you want 1st overall as if that takes skill?  Sure they got their QB and a top WR but did literally nothing else for their team.

Last edited by vitaflo

Teams that don't draft QBs, WRs, or Edge rushers high tend not to get an A in grades the day after a draft. Drafting lineman, inside linebackers, and safeties is boring. There are very few highlights to show.

Last year's draft class had several grades of C at this time last year.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers...ge-from-a-to-c-minus

Yeah if you look back at 2021, the Bears got an A+ then in that draft as well, the year they drafted Fields.

Only 3 players from that draft are still playing for the Bears.  Two OL's, which we know how bad their O-Line has been, and their RB who in his first year starting last year had 600 yards and 2 TDs.

But no doubt they got an A+ only because of Fields.

"Grades" are stupid immediately after the draft. You all know the drill - 3 years to grade a draft.

It takes a real jeeenyus to draft Caleb Williams & then Rome Odunze #1 & #9.

I've already told my Bear fan friends....."I know Odunze is the "sexy " pick....but Poles really screwed up by not taking a franchise LT at #9 along with his #1 QB."

I'm glad! Let's see if Caleb can get the ball out of his hands. He isn't going to have a lot of time to do that as it stands right now.

Last edited by Boris
@Boris posted:
I've already told my Bear fan friends....."I know Odunze is the "sexy " pick....but Poles really screwed up by not taking a franchise LT at #9 along with his #1 QB."

So much this.  Caleb is throwing to nobody if he can't stay upright.  And you already have Keenen Allen and DJ Moore.

Picking a WR over an OT, in one of the deepest O-Line drafts in a while, should automatically disqualify them from getting an A on the draft.

@vitaflo posted:

Grades are stupid

I know. It is just something to look at, not really believe in.  The Pack got 4 of the best players in their position that also filled a great need. And when you get to draft what many called the 8th best QB in the 7th round how is that not a A pick?  And the Vikings should be even lower when you consider what they got and had to give up in 2025, having only 3 choices next year,  to get those guys.  Being the draft is in Green Bay next year maybe that is not so bad, no Viking fans may show up.

@Boris posted:

"Grades" are stupid immediately after the draft. You all know the drill - 3 years to grade a draft.

It takes a real jeeenyus to draft Caleb Williams & then Rome Odunze #1 & #9.

I'm glad! Let's see if Caleb can get the ball out of his hands. He isn't going to have a lot of time to do that as it stands right now.

The Bears O-line is decent as they got Ryan Bates and Matt Pryor to shore up the middle and they drafted a high-upside LT prospect in Amegadjie. The Bears days of being a doormat  are likely ending soon and this will get back to being a real rivalry, which would be fun because fuck the Vikings.

Last edited by Herschel

So how much better would the O-Line look if they took a LT at #9 overall? Maybe the guy they picked will be a decade long LT ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ.

Drafting O-Line in the first round has proven quite effective for many teams over the years. High rate of success....NOT busts. Later rounds....good luck

Also.....they won 7 games last year. Mostly with defense. You still need to protect your QB

Last edited by Boris

Their RD1 pick last year at RT was on the all rookie team, FWIW.

A lot of the problems they had on offense were tied to Fields holding the ball too long because he wasn't reading the field quickly enough and getting rid of it when he was supposed to.  His biggest fault was not being able to read the D and throw with anticipation to his receivers.  Williams is supposedly a lot better in that regard though he does sometimes hold the ball too long too.  But more in a AR way in that he's trying to create big plays.  Their new OC Waldron will have a lot to say in how that offense is designed and run because Eberflus is a D guy.

They should at least break even though that 17th game could fall either way. I'll say 6 or 7 wins if Williams doesn't settle early and 9 if he does.  Their D should keep them in a lot of games.  If CW has more of a Stroud like rookie year, they're a playoff team.

Last edited by DH13
@Herschel posted:

Braxton Jones is decent at LT so they weren't desperate, Alt was gone and Odunze would be the #1 receiver in a draft without Harrison.

The punter pick was the real headscratcher, but they got good prospects otherwise. Booker could be a solid rotational DE.

We might have to do a "bro" podcast ๐Ÿ˜†.

It would be great.... First podcast would probably have about 10 viewers.

Last edited by Boris

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04...donai-mitchell-draft

I know Bob McGinn stands by his reports. He talks to legit scouts and he's never going to give them up.

So Chris Ballard can go on an expletive filled rant all he wants. This isn't McGinn saying shit...he got those thoughts from legit scouts of NFL teams.

Sounds like Mitchell clearly needs to keep his Type 1 diabetes under control. He'll find his way....and if he doesn't.... he'll flame out. It's pretty simple.

@pkr_north posted:

let's grow up to be like ballard kids...nice example there bud.

Colts owner Jim Irsay is not a patient man and the pressure on Ballard to produce has to be getting unbearable. Ballard isn't handling it well,  as you noted

The other part of his rant is that most of these scout comments used to be private, but now become public via McGinn and many others. Players and their families aren't used to seeing these often "raw" comments from area scouts.

Kinda like that scene in moneyball

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.