Skip to main content

Dec 15th puts AR's injury at a day under 6 weeks...I am reading the tea leaves here...I don't think he comes back before the Cryboys game...and at that point, Packers could be 5-8..possibly 6-7.

If they are 5-8, maybe you just wash the season, let Tolzien keep playing and get reps...finish 6-10, position for next year...don't rush him back at 6 weeks and have him risk re-breaking.

I just don't see Tolzien going into Detoilet and winning...and as bad as the Vajeens and Falcons are...the Eagles and Giants were bad as well.

Get the feeling it's just one of those seasons...

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is one of those seasons. I'm over it by now, no sense dwelling on the past. Hard to overcome the amount of injuries they've had this year, and next to impossible to do anything without Rodgers at QB(as we are seeing)

the main positives out of this season is that yet again some young guys got some development since they were forced into a lot of playing time thanks to injury and the Packers likely have found their backup QB to develop. Tolzien has definitely shown ability and he'll get some invaluable experience over these few weeks as a starter. Clearly he isn't ready but you couldn't expect him to be so soon

A loss this weekend pretty much kills their season.

Jason Wilde @jasonwilde

Gut feeling listening to Rodgers: Does something in practice Fri., doesn't play Sun. Practices Tues., pushes Dr. McKenzie for Thanksgiving.

Beat Minny. Monday night tweet from AR circa December 20 2010. "I'm Baaaaaccck"

#FIDO

His injury is not a full break but has been reported as "cracked". With the good mood Rodgers was in yesterday, those on ESPN radio highly doubted it would be a 6-8 week recovery if he was in that kind of mood.

Tend to agree with Wilde. Out this week. This is their playoff game. And if they win, he plays against DET

MN game is huge. So much still depends on Lions/Bears games this weekend as well.

Worst case scenario is obviously a GB loss and wins by Detroit and Chicago. The final 6 weeks of the NFL season are an eternity. So many things can change in the span of two weeks.

Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press Gazette had this tidbit regarding the Packers' playoff chances:

The NFL in 2002 went to a four-division, six-team playoff format in each conference, with the four division winners and two wild-card teams qualifying.

Since going to that system, only six teams that finished 10-6 or better failed to qualify for the playoffs. That’s one every-other year, so the odds of getting to the playoffs are good for teams that finish at least 10-6.

Over that same time, only 13.6 percent (18 of the 132) of the playoff teams finished 9-7 or worse. So the chances of getting into the playoffs drop dramatically from 10-6 to 9-7.

The Packers are two losses from crossing that line.

The idea of letting Tolzien finish out the season is idiotic. 12 will return as soon as he's cleared by doctors and he'll play regardless of the team's record and playoff chances at the time. That's just what competitive teams and competitive players do.

The Packers are as tight-lipped about injuries as anyone.

a - no one outside 1265 knows the extent of the break

b - everyone heals at different rates

If Rodgers plays Sunday vs MIN or not again this year, neither would surprise me.

No way Rodgers would voluntarily sit the rest of the year so this team can tank at 6-10. Not only did Rodgers explicitly say he would not do that yesterday, it's not MM's M.O. either. 

Rodgers and the Packers fate this season in entirely in the hands of Rodgers Doctors.

Maybe because of the HIPPA, maybe because the Packers are not saying we do not really know how badly Rodgers shoulder was broken.

It sucks, fans are  stuck with a week to week with Rodgers.

What really suck would be if the Queens win this week, the Queen fans will be out in force bragging about how good their team is. And of course they are on the road to the super bowl.

As much as I complain about MM playing the deceptive injury info game wrong, I get the feeling AR will come back sooner than expected because I think he has the pull to get himself on the field sooner than other players would. This would be a shock to anyone who has followed the Packers' history of players returning from injury and would be an advantage for the team.

Or AR could miss 8 weeks and MM is still a big dummy.

Another thing to add:

Rodgers told Wilde yesterday has no pain (emphasized it two times)  while throwing and was seen both last week at the Giants game and today at practice throwing passes. If his clavicle is broken clean through or worse then a crack, I can't imagine 1.) he would have no pain throwing 2.) he would be able to be throwing passes even in a practice, sideline environment. Wilde and Domovsky also stated he's in no kind of splint or brace either. Hard to believe if he had a substantial break he would be in no kind of brace.

Also remember the reports of AR taking snaps and throwing in the training room right after the xrays were taken. The xrays must have shown a very minor fracture for the docs to entertain the idea that AR should immediately do some throwing and see how it feels.

Rodgers yesterday uttered the "So you're saying there's a chance" line...

... but then followed it up with the 6-8 weeks recovery for a clavicle break statement.

Was the 1st statement the hope and the latter the reality? Or, was the first statement more the reality (what he knows) and the latter was the cover-up to not divulge too much?

It is to the Packer's advantage to keep the return of Rodgers a mystery as long as possible before the Detroit game. If they can't come together and put another nail in Ponder's coffin this weekend (he's starting), there's really nothing to talk about. The Detroit game is a make or break game and keeping them guessing can only serve the Packs interests. So I wouldn't try to make any assumptions based on the standard 6-8 weeks line. Everything that's been said supports that it's not the typical displacement injury. 

Originally Posted by packerboi: 

Wilde and Domovsky also stated he's in no kind of splint or brace either. Hard to believe if he had a substantial break he would be in no kind of brace.

I broke my clavicle when I was 19 and I had to wear a harness/brace for 3 weeks. I was working for a commercial roofing co. as my summer job that year and was told no lifting while wearing the harness/brace. Once I had the harness/brace off I don't recall any limitations. The brace I had was like this and really didn't immobilize me much:

Seems odd Rodgers would not be in any kind of brace.

I broke my clavicle when I was 19 and I had to wear a harness/brace for 3 weeks. 

Me too....

Tolzein is going to start against the Vikings, Rodgers plays the 2nd half.

Don't tell anybody.

Last edited by Boris

Based on all the ballyhoo in the days immediately following ARod's injury, I thought 4-6 weeks was a good timeline to shoot for. Still think it's the same. If he's cleared after 4, he'll play the following week. If he's not, it'll likely be another week or two.

Originally Posted by Hungry5:

The brace I had was like this and really didn't immobilize me much:

Seems odd Rodgers would not be in any kind of brace.

Originally Posted by Fedya:
Looks more like you were wearing a bra. 

I was thinking the same thing!  I'll bet that harness gave your shoulder blades all the support you needed without the lines or discomfort!

I also broke my collarbone as a teen, I think I was like 14. It happened playing a football game in a neighbors yard. Not a clean break, just cracked, probably half way through. Didn't even realize it at first, just knew it hurt like heck. Dad said it was probably just a bruise, so nothing at first was done. A couple days later I bumped into something with that left shoulder and I about passed out with pain. Then dad said we'd better go see the doc.

Had to wear a sling for awhile, it probably had a brace built into it. The healing creates a large egg shaped calcium thing around the injury. So, I had this large bump , clearly visible in that area of where it broke. It took years before that bump finally went totally away.

Originally Posted by Hungry5:

Considering Cobb (essentially) denied today that he broke his fibula who the **** knows what to think?

This is exactly how I'm feeling. No point in even trying to speculate how severe Rodgers injury is and how long he'll be out. Same with Cobb or Perry or Shields or anybody. 

I don't particularly like the way the Packers have handled injury situations. Not personnel wise but with information. I understand they're not obligated to release info and probably have incentive to keep things on the DL but it pisses me off nonetheless. 

tall order....but, if we win the next 2..we win the division---the Bears will finish .500 ..The Lions have Schwartz

This. Schwartz has already lost two games for them so far this year. He's better than Wayne Fontes for us. Hope they keep him around for years.

Randall Cobb adds mystery around his injury, return date

foxsportswisconsin.com
by Paul Imig

As more media members began to hover nearby hoping to get his take on the injury, Cobb agreed to the interview and did a U-turn towards his locker. What followed only served to add confusion -- rather than clarity -- to Cobb's original diagnosis and to his recovery.

"I don't know, I think that's out of the question right now," Cobb said when asked when he'll be able to return to the field.

"We're trying to get back to walking and running."

[...]the earliest he could be back in game action is Week 15. But Cobb is making no guarantees that he'll actually be ready by then.

"It's not a target date," Cobb said. "It's the earliest that I can come back, depending on where I am in my rehab."

[...]Wait, it wasn't a broken bone?

"That's the reports," Cobb said. "I don't know."

Details, please. continue

Locker Room Video (WE-11-20-13):

Randall Cobb off crutches, no timeline for return

QB Aaron Rodgers playing the waiting game

Tolzien has laser focus on taking care of the ball

Hard to believe but this is a must win type week for the Packers if they have any thoughts of making the playoffs.   Beat the Vikings and you are 6-5 and still have a shot at winning the division.   Lose and you are 5-6 going into a tough matchup against Detroit in their place on a short week.

Rodgers was quoted earlier this week stating that he's not going to hurry to come back.   He commented that another injury or re-injury could result in 4-5 months of rehab and he basically said there's no way he's going to put himself in a position for that to happen.

Given how this season has gone I'd tend to agree with him,   The problem right now is the OL is really unsettled which increases the chance he'd get hurt again.    As much as we want to make the playoffs we do not want our franchise QB hurt long term either.  

He'll come back when he's ready but in the meantime they need to win with what they've got.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.