Skip to main content

2/18 - 3/4: NFL teams can apply the franchise tag on prospective free agents.
3/9: With new CBA, teams can start to negotiate w/agents for UFAs
3/12: Free agency signings can begin at 4:00pm EST

Gregg Rosenthal predicts the Tags for all 32 teams

Big Grin
quote:

Not quite worth it
Greg Jennings, Green Bay Packers wide receiver: I could make a strong argument why Jennings would be worth it, but general manager Ted Thompson wouldn't listen. The Packers are rolling with the young(er) guys in 2013.

@adbrandt
The two-week downtime of the NFL is over. The business of the 2013 season begins today, first day teams can apply Franchise Tag.

@adbrandt
Teams can apply the Franchise Tag through March 4; would expect most teams to wait and try (or pretend to try) to negotiate..
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is the start of a very fun time. I love baseball, but NFL free agency is really interesting. Since NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, there seems to be a much greater chance that really good players "suddenly become available". Fun to watch!
It's fun to a point. But when you're watching Cullen Jenkins sign with the Eagles and Aaron Kampmann sign with the Jaguars, it can feel like kick to the gut. Next kick in the gut will be likely saying good bye to Greg Jennings. He's personally come to my office a couple of times over the years and just was a great representative of the Pack.
This guy might be available:

Doug Gottlieb ‏@GottliebShow Leave the Gun take the Canolli RT@JeffSchultzAJC: Tampa Bay's Da'Quan Bowers has been arrested at LaGuardia Airport on gun charges”
Cardinals cut Kevin Boss and Steve Breaston.

Boss might be done. He's piled up quite a few concussions. Breaston on the other hand might turn out to be a nice addition for someone. He's played with one good QB, Warner. His career numbers reflect the crap he's had at QB. He can play. Not the kind of WR Greg Jennings appreciates seeing hitting the market right now.
quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Saints do not plan to use their franchise tag on starting left tackle Jermon Bushrod. He will be an unrestricted free agent.

quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
When two sides meet this am, Eagles will ask CB Nnamdi Asomugha to restructure contract or they will release him. Asomugha guaranteed $4mil.

Bushrod's been a fairly decent LT
quote:
Originally posted by Hungry5:
@AdamSchefter
Saints do not plan to use their franchise tag on starting left tackle Jermon Bushrod. He will be an unrestricted free agent.

Will be 29 in August. Started every game the last 3 seasons with NOS.

quote:

STRENGTHS:
Two things jump out, when talking about Jermon Bushrod, durability and improvement.

With the Saints, Bushrod has 62 starts in 66 games, largely in part to staying healthy. The two-time Pro Bowl left tackle ranked third among the free agent offensive tackles available, with 1,130 snaps in 2012.

The Fredricksburg, Virginia native is still considered to be a raw talent, with a high ceiling, despite showing consistent improvement during his time in New Orleans.

In 2011, Bushrod helped the Saints amass an NFL-record 7,474 yards; Jermon allowed just three sacks, along the way.

Check out Jermon's sacks-allowed stats over the last four years in the Big Easy:

2009-7.5
2010-6.0
2011-3.0
2012-4.5

During his 2011 campaign, his three sacks allowed, came during 1,177 snaps of the football.

WEAKNESSES:
Bushrod has a tendency to bend at the waist, instead of the knees, sacrificing the strength he could use to combat stronger and quicker defensive linemen.

FINAL TAKE:

The numbers don't lie, Bushrod continues to improve and if you combine that with his championship pedigree (SB XLIV), the sky could be the limit for the 28-year-old.

Would Thompson go there?
quote:
Originally posted by Hungry5:
Hopefully that want translates into some level of success. Also hope their knowledge on Sherrod's recovery means they have options on the roster.
I don't see GB pursuing Bushrod but he's just 28-29 and has been a capable LT.

I just don't know if he's that much better then Newhouse and I imagine he'll get big coin in FA.

Asomugha was only due 4 mil in 2013. Are the Iggles that cap strapped?! Eeker
Ok, here's clarification on Asomugha:

quote:
Asomugha is guaranteed $4 million from the Eagles this year whether he plays for them or not, so it would be a costly move to cut him. But it will cost the Eagles $15 million to have Asomugha on their team this year under his current contract, and Philadelphia has concluded that he simply isn’t worth his massive contract.

Nice contract work Eagles.
Last edited by packerboi
Remember when everyone thought that he was going to come to GB, since he wanted to play for a contender and play with his friend CW. TT wouldn't have given him that type of contract, but TT would have given him a boatload.
quote:
Originally posted by ChilliJon:
Canty wants to play for the Panthers and has already said he's willing to give them a discount.

It's interesting that GB wants to talk to him.

Just kicking the tires.

Unlike last time, Canty's agent won't be able to spoon-feed Greg Bedard anything to blog about nearly real time during negotiations.
quote:
Originally posted by packerboi:
Ok, here's clarification on Asomugha:

quote:
Asomugha is guaranteed $4 million from the Eagles this year whether he plays for them or not, so it would be a costly move to cut him. But it will cost the Eagles $15 million to have Asomugha on their team this year under his current contract, and Philadelphia has concluded that he simply isn’t worth his massive contract.

Nice contract work Eagles.

But wait...I thought we were supposed to sign him, and then plug him into Woodson's role when #21 wasn't around any longer?

Confused
@JayGlazer
49ers have completed a trade with the Chiefs for Alex Smith, tho can't be official til March 12. Chiefs really made a commitment to Smith

@JayGlazer
Deal has been agreed upon between Chiefs and 49ers. Compensation unclear but I'm told again Chiefs have made a clear commitment to Smith.
Would SF be willing to let Goldson walk and package a couple of those picks to try and move up for Kenny Vaccaro?

Don't they own 14 total picks in this draft now? They have some options.

I personally think Dorsey gave up a little too much for his new QB.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.