Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by titmfatied:
quote:
Originally posted by Orlando Wolf:
Can you say Hardy Nickerson with a mouth full of steak, red potatoes and asparagus? I just did.
Plus we already have Hawk taking up the Hardy Nickerson role.

Ah, more Hawk hate. The piling on is getting old.
To be fair to Hawk, he's a bad fit for ILB in this D and I have thought that since they said they were moving him. Despite his size, he's a finesse player, not a thumper. Numbers wise he's bigger, stronger, and faster than Desmond Bishop, but there's a different mentality with players like Bishop and DJ Smith. Hawk is a guy that can really make plays when everyone else on the D is doing their job, he's not a guy that can take the load on himself and change the game.
I think numbers wise Desmond Bishop is a lot stronger than AJ Hawk. Also these guys are pretty much the same size. AJ Hawk is 6'1" 242 and Desmond Bishop is 6'2" 238. AJ Hawk is the faster of the two, but he doesn't play like it. Bishop's able to shred and take on blocks a lot better than Hawk. Also I believe Bishop plays with more instincts than Hawk.

Count me in the long list of people on here that wants to see an upgrade.
quote:
Originally posted by TravisLL:
I think numbers wise Desmond Bishop is a lot stronger than AJ Hawk. Also these guys are pretty much the same size. AJ Hawk is 6'1" 242 and Desmond Bishop is 6'2" 238. AJ Hawk is the faster of the two, but he doesn't play like it. Bishop's able to shred and take on blocks a lot better than Hawk. Also I believe Bishop plays with more instincts than Hawk.

I went back and looked and yeah Bishop put up 33 reps to Hawk's 24 so you're correct he is stronger. Either way it's all about the mentality as a LB. Bishop hits ball carriers, Hawk tackles them. The guy in the middle has to be a hitter, Hawk is better on the outside (as a WLB in a 43) where he only has 1/3 of the field to cover.
quote:
Shields could get second-rounder
Green Bay Press Gazette

With their other top restricted free agent, cornerback Sam Shields, the Packers appear to be leaning toward offering at least the second-round tender, a source said. The deadline for offering tenders is 3 p.m. Tuesday.

The second-round tender lowers the risk because his new team would have to give up a second-round pick if the Packers don’t match. They also could offer a first-round tender, which costs $2.879 million and would further reduce the chances of another team signing Shields but at a cost of $856,000 more than the second-round tender. Thompson might think that losing a second-round pick is sufficient to dissuade other teams from signing Shields.continue
Article also speculates that Zombo, Francois, and Crabtree won't receive any tender.
And just before the 2013 FA season kicks off, let's take a quick look back at the top prize in the 2012 FA season.

I present Matt Bowen's breakdown of the eleventy billion dollar man, Nnamdi Asomugha

http://www.nationalfootballpos...Julio-vs-Nnamdi.html
It's been rumored that TT is a fan of Jackson. Jackson has recently stated that he wants to play for a contender with a strong fan base. It would seem that it would be a good match for both parties but the odds of TT pulling that trigger aren't the greatest.
If S-Jax has one more year in him, I'd like to see it in a Green & Gold UNI.

I'll be bummed out if we lose Crabtree. He might be one of the best on the planet at twitter-ing.
quote:
Originally posted by Boris:

I'll be bummed out if we lose Crabtree.

No chance

Tom knows there isn't another coach in the NFL who would call his number on a 4th and 26 fake field goal.
quote:
Originally posted by bubbleboy789:
@TomSilverstein: Been told by a league source that #Packers C Evan Dietrich-Smith received the low RFA tender, which means no compensation attached. #risky

To me this is a sign that we're going to see a big move at Center. They're not overly concerned about losing EDS which means they have a back-up plan. There's only a couple decent veteran Centers available:

Jeff Faine (31)
Jason Brown (29)
Doug Legursky (26)

I feel like there was interest in Jason Brown before he signed with the Rams? Anyone else remember that? Doug Legursky was expendable because of Maurkice Pouncey, but he was their starter for the SB if I remember correctly? He is young and has started a handful of games in his career.

We may see a player like TJ Lang finally get moved there and a Guard brought in.

There's also some solid talent in the draft at C.
quote:
Originally posted by Floridarob:
I don't see any team offering EDS their starting center job and I doubt back up money is going to be any better than Green Bay is offering.

This.
Sounds like Reggie Bush might be heading to detroit

Bears apparently showing a ton of interest in former Vike OL Phil Loadholt. Said to be offering more money than the Vikes

Speculation is that the Niners may try to get Ed Reed since Goldson is gone
quote:
Originally posted by Tdog:
Sam Shields gets the 2nd round RFA tender. pretty much expected.

Gooood....GOOOOHOOOOD!!

Keep the DB's together in this pass happy league, although I don't expect to hear anything from Packers camp about a FA signing
Former Giant Chris Canty is visiting the Ravens, according to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun.

EIDT: Chris Canty, here in the building visiting the Ravens today, has offers from the Chiefs and the Titans. Hopes to sign somewhere soon.
Last edited by Jelly
quote:
Originally posted by Satori:
if I were a GM I'd spend a 2nd on Shields in a heartbeat

agree completely. This one is risky, but I see not putting the first round tender on him as well.
Andrew Brandt‏@adbrandt
Restricted free agency fast becoming extinct. RT @maxshrier Can you explain why no one signed Mike Wallace as RFA last year?

Andrew Brandt‏@adbrandt
7 days. RT @mark_mac18 If a team does offer an RFA acontract,how long does his original team have to match?

Last year the Steelers applied a 1st round tender ($2.74 million) to Mike Wallace and no one bit. He's a FA this year and it's probably going to cost someone $11 - $13 million to sign him.

For whatever reason teams don't want to go down the RFA path anymore. Based on Ted's RFA moves thus far, I'd say he's betting heavy on it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.