Skip to main content

Might as well queue this one up. Packers have to go from 75 to 53 by Saturday afternoon. If past is any guide we'll start hearing about the Turk's visits beginning late Saturday morning. Post 'em when you see 'em.

Deadlines:

September 5Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List.
September 5Simultaneously with the cut-down to 53, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the Active List.
September 6Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12:00 noon, New York time.
September 6Starting at 1:00 p.m., New York time, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of 10 players.
September 6After 4:00 p.m., New York time, a club is permitted to place a player on Reserve/Injured as "Designated for Return."

Last edited by ilcuqui
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think he'll stay on the Giants roster (though many are still believing he'll get cut) but if James Jones is cut that would be quite the dilemma for Ted. He's exactly the kind of vet WR Rodgers would like to see signed.

I think Ben McAdoo really wants to keep JJ out there. Giants' other receivers are talented but still awfully young. Beckham especially needs to beware the ills of the hype machine, especially in a cauldron like NYC. Good to have a graybeard in the receiver room. 

I wonder whether MM, and TT either directly or indirectly, would go directly to Aaron for his input on whether to make a trade for JJ or roll with the kiddie corps. Not typical for Packer management, but given how central Rodgers' confidence in receivers is to making the offense purr, it's something I wouldn't be surprised to have happen deep within the catacombs at 1265 Lombardi Avenue.

Last edited by ilcuqui
Originally Posted by packerboi:

if James Jones is cut that would be quite the dilemma for Ted. He's exactly the kind of vet WR Rodgers would like to see signed.

No it wouldn't and no I reckon he isn't.
Last edited by Pistol GB

The big question, does Uncle Ted roll with a rookie QB on the 53 along with Blanchard on PS allowing him to keep an extra warm body where he perceives he might need help OR

does he keep Tolzien who has looked okay knowing he has no control of him after the season and Hundley forcing him to gamble losing a future starter at DB, WR, some other position.  Uncle Ted knows well some kids acclimate slower.

RatPack, if I were Ted, I would be comfortable keeping just two QBs, Rodgers & Hundley. As good as Tolzien is, we won't be able to get anything for him, other than maybe a 7th rounder if a QB needy team steps up. However, his value could go up if some starting QBs around the league get injured prior to the trade deadline. Might be a benefit to keep him.

Some players bettered their chances to make it last night:
John Crockett
Larry Pinkard
Jeff Janis
Chris Banjo
Lane Taylor
Chris Banjo
Nate Palmer
Jake Ryan
Raijon Neal
Tim Masthay
Jay Elliott
Aaron Ripkowski

Some hurt their chances:
Carl Bradford
Jean Fanor
Justin Perillo

Brett Hundley showed he is a special player. Wow. What a performance. The game is not too big for this rookie. Looking at this team, they've got great players to choose from in knocking down to the final 53. Hoping we keep the very best, and that they deliver.
Last edited by Trophies

Trade Tolzien for a 4th round pick, then buy 13 pallets of Its not your fathers rootbeer, then buy 17 gallons of vanilla ice cream, then have a its not your fathers rootbeer floats tonight at 7pm for the entire team

Packers can't roll with Hundley as the only back up because he doesn't know the full offense yet. He's done very well with the limited set they've fed him so far, but his grasp of the playbook isn't close to where it needs to be.

IF he has to play, you would be throttling back  all of the other offensive players and forcing them to limit themselves to what he knows and is comfortable running.

That's not gonna work very well and you're playing into the defenses' hands by doing that

Hundley also isn't going to get many reps during the season, the bulk go with Rodgers and the starting O. Take this as a very good sign for the future and it means you don't sweat it when Tolzien moves on. Packers went with Flynn over others despite his physical limitations. Why ? Because he knew the whole offense inside out. Hundley isn't there yet

I hate to say it, but we don't have a reliable backup tackle on the roster.  Lane Taylor, Tretter, Barclay and Josh Walker are most likely to stick if they keep 4.  None can reliably play tackle.  Vujnovich isn't ready, and Rotherham looks strictly like a guard.  Not good.

Originally Posted by DH13:
Is that before or after you trade Rodgers for three 1sts, two 2nds and a 4th to SF 49ers, and start Hundley as your QB?  

Trading A-Rod won't happen for a couple years.  This is the same GM that told a HOF QB the train had left the station for an unproven guy.  Do we know if Hundley can develop to be the next younger QB to force a similar move?  No.  But what if???  

Originally Posted by Satori:

Packers can't roll with Hundley as the only back up because he doesn't know the full offense yet. He's done very well with the limited set they've fed him so far, but his grasp of the playbook isn't close to where it needs to be.

...and the rest of your post...

"You have to put your players in the best position to succeed." - Mike McCarthy

Years ago there was a push in the business world about discovering your weaknesses and working to overcome those. Problem for most was after 30+ years of life and a few years in the workplace, you are who you are. Recently the discussion is around understanding your strengths and emphasizing those to minimize your weaknesses. Seems McCarthy has read some of the same stuff.

Last edited by H5

I have not had confidence in Nick Perry to date, simply on results. But, I have to say, his sideline interview, he looked about as confident as I could ever remember. To that point Hungry5, maybe this is the year he puts it all together. I'm really hoping for that. Emphasizing his strengths.

There is a big prize there behind every pass rush, every run stop, as they accumulate. He looked good last night.

Originally Posted by RatPack:
Originally Posted by DH13:
Is that before or after you trade Rodgers for three 1sts, two 2nds and a 4th to SF 49ers, and start Hundley as your QB?  

Trading A-Rod won't happen for a couple years.  This is the same GM that told a HOF QB the train had left the station for an unproven guy.  Do we know if Hundley can develop to be the next younger QB to force a similar move?  No.  But what if???  

I won't start worrying about this until Rodgers starts thinking out loud about retiring at every opportunity.

Or skipping OTAs.

The parallels with Favre with Rodgers under him lose a ton of context.

Favre was traded to the Jets in 2008.  In October of that year, he would be 39 years old.  2008 was Rodger's 4th year.

So to hone in on the parallel, assume the same would happen in Hundley's 4th year, 2018.  Rodgers would turn 35 in December of that year, four years younger than Favre was and at that age range, that four years is huge.

Of course, none of this gets into Favre being a bit of a malcontent, a ton of a distraction, and having already retired where the Packers passed the baton to Rodgers (and I am sure had some sense of his skill level and readiness to take the helm).

The differences are vast and so vast that the parallel really is no parallel at all.

Last edited by phaedrus
Originally Posted by Hungry5:

Originally Posted by Satori:

...and the rest of your post...

"You have to put your players in the best position to succeed." - Mike McCarthy

Years ago there was a push in the business world about discovering your weaknesses and working to overcome those. Problem for most was after 30+ years of life and a few years in the workplace, you are who you are. Recently the discussion is around understanding your strengths and emphasizing those to minimize your weaknesses. Seems McCarthy has read some of the same stuff.

So, working on his weaknesses, MM was still unable to find his challenge flag, hidden in his sock when under pressure. He is who he is.

But...as a practical matter...MM ability to grow a heavy beard hides his stoopy face. 

Originally Posted by 50k Club:

I hate to say it, but we don't have a reliable backup tackle on the roster.  Lane Taylor, Tretter, Barclay and Josh Walker are most likely to stick if they keep 4.  None can reliably play tackle.  Vujnovich isn't ready, and Rotherham looks strictly like a guard.  Not good.

My guess is that they keep the 4 have there and if there is an injury to Bahktiari then we see Bulaga go to LT and either Barclay or Walker come in at RT or we just see one of those two come in at RT if Bulaga goes down. In either case they will scheme to give those guys help at RT, depending on who they are facing. Barclay probably gets the nod, with help. I'm comfortable with that depending on the length of the injury to the starter, if it's a long injury then I think you look to a vet FA or slide Lang over to RT and insert Walker at RG.

And a helpful reminder: suspended players do not count against the 53.

So assuming Guion and D. Jones* aren't cut, Packers need to cut or IR 20 players today to reach the number.

* Only announced suspensions to date; no action announced on Quarless as of yet.

@WesHod: The #Packers have released safety Jean Fanor. He could be back on the practice squad.

@TomSilverstein: #Packers have informed OL Matt Rotheram that he has been released. A definite candidate for the practice squad. Likely to be signed.

@RobDemovsky: Was told #Packers planning to keep rookie TE Kennard Backman, barring a last-minute change. Not sure what that means for Perillo, Henry.

Last edited by ilcuqui

@RobDemovsky: The Packers are releasing TE Justin Perillo, per a source. Indications are they're only keeping three at the position.

Packers have cut TE Justin Perillo. Been told that rookie Kennard Backman has made it. Looks like they'll go with just three TEs. That might mean they're keeping two FBs.
by Tom Silverstein 11:37 AM

@TomSilverstein: #Packers have informed TE Mitchell Henry that he has been released. They're going with 3 TEs: Rodgers, Quarless and Backman.
Last edited by ilcuqui

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.