Skip to main content

I don't think this deal is dead. Yet. 

The part I can't wrap my head around is this. Elway had a $16 million per offer on the table for Brock. Decided to let him go to Houston. Now $7 million per for Kaep is the highest he's willing to go. 

How are these two QB's separated by more than $19.99 per season? 

Grave Digger -

But Denver really had no QB last year and won the Super Bowl.

All you need to know about how Denver really felt about Manning is right in this 3 and out sequence with about 7 minutes left to go in the 4th quarter when they were up 16-10.

• 1st and 10 at DEN 25

(6:59 - 4th) R.Hillman right tackle to DEN 24 for -1 yards (S.Lotulelei)

• 2nd and 11 at DEN 24

(6:17 - 4th) C.Anderson left tackle to DEN 26 for 2 yards (S.Lotulelei; R.McClain)

• 3rd and 9 at DEN 26

(5:35 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Anderson right guard to DEN 28 for 2 yards (L.Kuechly)

• 4th and 7 at DEN 28

(4:51 - 4th) B.Colquitt punts 48 yards to CAR 24, Center-A.Brewer, out of bounds

3 runs between the tackles for 4 yards and a punt. They decided they'd rather take their chances with their defense stopping Cam Newton than even risk Manning throwing a single pass over three downs. Plain and simple - Manning was terrible last year. He had 9 TDs and 17 interceptions in the regular season and that was after having 5 TDs/3 Ints. in the first three games. After that, 4 TDs versus 14 Ints.

Bash on Elway for many things, but he won a Super Bowl last year with a QB that was essentially limited to walking to the LOS and reading the defense to make sure they had the correct running play called and not making a mistake. He turned into a weaker version of the Ravens Trent Dilfer team.

Why would any coach choose to pass when you're up 16-10 in the 4th Q of the SB, playing against a ball hawking D with elite CBs, and your D is dominating their O? That's doesn't make a lot of sense even with Aaron Rodgers. Manning was good enough in the postseason to win with, Mark Sanchez won't be. You mention Manning's as basically an extension of the OC at the LOS like it's a negative, there's obviously a lot of value in that. He wasn't much a passer, but the offense still ran efficiently because of his savvy. Didn't realize we had so many Elway fanboys here. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

Elway gambled big time to win in a narrow window and was successful. He signed a lot of free agents and mortgaged his future, but it worked. Maybe they'll be terrible for the next 5 years, but he accomplished the ultimate goal. TT had a different approach, but he accomplished the same goal after the 2010 season. They've both had success.

My point about the 4th quarter series is that if you trusted your QB at all, you'd be aggressive in that situation. Can you imagine Bill Belichick and Tom Brady running it into the line 3 times in that situation? No, he'd trust that Brady would be a good enough QB not to make a killer mistake. Being ahead 16-10 with 7 minutes left is when you trust your QB to drive about 40 yards to get a game clinching FG. While the Denver defense was dominating, a punt sets up a situation where one freak play beats you.

But the defense will be worse this year.  Already down a top 5 interior pass rusher and a damn good ILB, they have to deal with the inevitable Super Bowl hangover.  The veterans are a year older, most of the youngsters have been paid, and they’ll have another 16 games worth of injuries to dodge (none last year, every game 1 starter started in the Super Bowl).   And remember, they were losing to the Chargers in wee 17 in a must win game.  This team was anything but dominant.  The slightest slip in that defense and they were out of the playoffs.  

And say what you want about Manning last year, but this Mark "Butt Fumble" Sanchez.  The guy hasn't had any success on the field in 5 years.  He couldn't beat out Sam Bradford or Geno Smith.  And it's not like he's safe with the ball - he's a turnover waiting to happen.  He was a free agent in 2014 and no one signed him to be a starter.  He was available for a 7th round pick this offseason and only one team acted.  Why?  Because he's terrible.  

Last edited by CUPackFan

And since we're talking Broncos.........just a little taste of the incompetence of some of their fans.  There has been at least 3 dozen phone calls calling for the Broncos to trade Demaryious Thomas to free up room for Jackson/Osweiler/Travathan/Kaepernick/etc. because according to these fans, Demaryious had an awful year.  The radio host literally just mocked a guy for sending a 9 page write up of why they should get rid of him.  Apparently 105 catches for 1,300 with average to below average QB play is awful.  Oh, and that pesky thing called dead money..........cutting/trading Thomas would leave $34.3m in dead money.  You can be critical of the contract all you want but he is flat out untradeable until 2019.  Welcome to Bronco Country.  

Last edited by CUPackFan

There's no chance Sanchez starts for the Broncos. They'll eventually get Kaepernick, and then hope they play the Packers in the Super Bowl so Dom can once again figure out a way to make Kaepernick look like the greatest QB who ever lived.

heyward posted:

Elway has been to 2 Super Bowls in 4 years as GM. He may not be as bright as some of the geniuses on this board, but I think he knows what he's doing.

Elway went all in on Manning in 2012. He got boat raced by 80 in the Super Bowl against Seattle. So he doubled down and spent for Ware and Ward. Maybe he had an 89 flashback. 

He got his ring. But now he's got Sanchise at QB and making a mess over this entire Kaep thing while his prize safety FA Ward openly says things like this about his ongoing QB plan.

So yes. Elway has been to 2 Super Bowls in 4 years and may or may not have been backed into his own personal "blown out" corner and felt compelled to not let his own Super Bowl story **** up "This ones for John". 

But being a GM isn't being about anything like that. 

We'll see if John is right. Personally I think the guy is  world class moron. 

Greg Hardy's mgt team has him doing the media carousel this week trying to promote himself enough to get signed by somebody.

@SeifertESPN: Greg Hardy on why he got a second chance while Ray Rice did not: “… It’s the story of an innocent man and a guilty man.” WOW. WOW. WOW.

What an entitled, enabled POS.

But for his playing fairly pedestrian ball last season he'd probably have already signed somewhere.

Keep talking, Greg. Just keep talking.

I think the biggest reason why "no other teams are interested" is because of his contract. Not that I think there would be a dozen teams beating down his door if it wasn't an obstacle; it was more a 'wait-and-see' if SF would release him rather than commit to his salary.

I'm somewhat surprised none of the teams chronically desperate for QBs jumped in once the parameters became known. There is a boatload of AFC teams that always need a QB, and a few in both the AFC and NFC that will soon need to replace theirs. SD and Rivers, Pittsburgh and Roethlisberger, Dallas and Romo, and Detroit and Stafford. I could see any of them taking a chance on Kaperdick. Could you imagine that fugger coming to our division? 

And it gets even worse: Broncos want Kaepernick to take a pay cut next year too. With roster and workout bonuses, he can earn $33.2m in 2016 and 2017......Broncos are asking him to make $14m.  At this point it's comical.  They're asking him to take less this year AND next year.......so he has a chance to hit it big in 2018??   I've never heard of a 2 year "prove-it" deal, guess the Broncos are on the cutting edge.  

Timmy! posted:

Pittsburgh and Roethlisberger, Dallas and Romo, and Detroit and Stafford. I could see any of them taking a chance on Kaperdick. Could you imagine that fugger coming to our division? 

Kaepernick is Dom's kryptonite.  The Packers might think about offering to pay some of his salary just to keep him in the AFC.

Not necessarily a bad move by the Broncos, Kaepernick would be a $19+ million cap hit were he cut by the Niners, aside from any guaranteed money they'd also have to pay. The Niners almost have to pay someone to take him at this point or suck it up, take the hit, then Denver can likely pay him whatever they want because he'll have no more leverage. 

@RichCimini: Filed to ESPN: Jets LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson is retiring today after 10 seasons, per sources. Only 32. Completely healthy. A stunner. #nyj

@corryjoel: Jets get $9.093M of salary cap space from D'Brickashaw Ferguson's retirement. 2016 cap number was $14.107M. Dead money is $5.014M.

@AdamSchefter: Denver has agreed to trade four-time Pro-Bowl OT Ryan Clady and a 7th-round pick to the Jets for a 5th-round pick, league sources told ESPN.

@andrewbrandt: Reason Denver didn't cut Clady after Okung signing: hoping they could get something/anything for him.

@AdamSchefter: And as D’Brickashaw Ferguson, announced his retirement, the Jets already have found his replacement in Ryan Clady.

@RapSheet: The #Jets trade a 5th rounder to the #Broncos for Ryan Clady and a 7th rounder. More ammo for Denver in a potential Kap trade & cap space.

@AllbrightNFL: Clady trade clears about $10.1 million in cap space for #Broncos.

I'm really surprised Ryan Clady fallen so far that he basically carries a 6th round value. I was really surprised that they believed an old worn out Okung was an upgrade. We will see, this will either be a good move or insanely stupid. Okung wasn't great in 2015 and they basically just gave Clady away for nothing, if he has a successful season in NY this will look idiotic. Then again Elway is smarter than the geniuses at X4 so he must be a competent GM.

Last edited by Grave Digger

Two trips to the Super Bowl and one championship in four years doesn't make Elway smarter than some of the geniuses on this board. Walking and chewing gum at the same time would pretty much do the trick.

Last edited by heyward

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.