Skip to main content

KonKrete posted:
kcpuck posted:
MN Backthepack posted:

At inside linebacker, I saw a fast, aggressive, athletic rookie with sideline to sideline ability who just needs some seasoning.  I expect Ryan to make a huge leap in year 2.  And Barrington was an aggressive stud before he got hurt.  We just need to draft for some depth and I'm sure TT will find some gems in the mid rounds that will make other teams envious like he always does.

In what universe is Ryan considered "athletic" and Barrington a "stud" ?

As far as Ryan being athletic goes, it might interest some people to go check out his combine numbers against the much sought after Trevathon.  Ryans got atheletic ability.  Can he bring it to the field more effectively in his second year?

If you look at Ryan's combine numbers, they compare favorably with most of the top rated ILBs in this years draft. His 40 was better than Raglands and he had the fastest shuttle in his position group demonstrating his agility. And we saw him make some aggressive behind the line plays that we rarely saw from the likes of AJ.

His biggest problem was inexperience. When he can react and not think, we should see that athleticism transfer onto the field.

Agree that the tape on Barrington is limited but he definitely looks like he should be able to play the Desmond Bishop type of aggressive attacking inside linebacker play that we need. Where we have needs is depth and that can easily be addressed in the middle rounds of the draft.

As far as Rodgers, the dude has incredible hands, probably the best we've ever had at the position. He doesn't have deep speed but he has enough. He won't stretch the field but we don't need that with Nelson back. If Janis can translate his speed into playing time that will help. Rodgers can move the chains which is what we need from TE. Again, need depth at TE which can be addressed in the middle of the draft. I hope we address both sides of the line in the early part of the draft and find a fast 3rd down back with good hands later on.

Overpaying a cast-off free agent feels good but is a far less effective way to develop a team than draft and develop. I have faith in TTs steady approach.

Broncos continue their philosophy of paying well for outside free agents but refusing to fork over market value for their own guys.  They've had to use the tag each of the last 3 years, which has to piss of their guys.  

And not sure Okung is worth $10m per year.......

cuqui posted:

Li'l Russ just lost his left tackle.

@JosinaAnderson: Sources tell me that OT Russell Okung is close to finalizing a 5-year deal with the Denver #Broncos worth $10.6M per year.

WTF? Why would Denver make that deal? That's Clady money for a guy about as durable and less talented. They must not think Sambraillo will be any good after the injury.  

Last edited by Herschel
packerboi posted:

Remember, this wasn't some slouch defense playing in a meaningless game. He caught 7 passes and avged nearly 21 yards per catch against a secondary that was supposedly among the best.

Is that the same ARZ D that gave up 335yds and 2TD to Cam Newton the next week?  Their secondary had a great year but seemed to really dip late in the year and into the post season.  Nobody had tape on Janis either so I'm sure some of his success that day had to do with the element of surprise.  He'll have a new battle when DB's start actually preparing for him.  I'm not knocking Janis and really hope he emerges as a reliable threat but I'm not convinced yet.

packerboi posted:

His ability does likely rely somewhere in the middle, but it always bugs me when observers and/or defenders of performances say things like "take away that one 70 yard run so-and so had" and we stopped them against the run. Or "if not for those 2 long pass completions so-and-so had" we shut down X wide receiver. I don't care how he caught his passes, he was a big threat that day that at least begged the question why wasn't he on the field sooner.

Remember, this wasn't some slouch defense playing in a meaningless game. He caught 7 passes and avged nearly 21 yards per catch against a secondary that was supposedly among the best.

Usually I don't like the stat picking for arguing whether someone did or didn't have a productive day. But with Janis and that AZ game, those long pass plays didn't happen in the flow of the game. There are two ends to a hail mary, and the successful ones are usually the result of a breakdown of the play and the school-yard kicks in. Lastly, why wasn't Rodgers targeting him more in that game and when he was in games during the season? The answer is probably because Janis wasn't ready.

Stack success and learn from the late season opportunities, who knows for him.

I'll say this about AZs secondary. 

Tyrann Mathiieu is a football savant. Kid has his demons but he's the closest thing to a young Charles Woodson I've seen in a long time.  He can line up in any position and he knows how to wreck things for an offense. 

When he went down in December that secondary went to ****. 

Hes a defensive MVP in waiting. I hope he rebounds from his ACL injury. He's crazy good. 

Ted signed another FA.

from pft:
Adam Caplan of ESPN reports that James Starks has agreed to terms with the Packers on a new contract. Starks was an unrestricted free agent and visited with the Patriots before agreeing to return to Green Bay.

Definitely would have rather had a younger running back but this draft doesn't have many backs that fit the profile of what Ted has drafted in the past (bigger backs that have a proven history of being able to catch the ball).  Yards from scrimmage number looks good but Starks didn't have a very good year when adding in the fumbles.  Coaches seemed pretty frustrated with him and he didn't show that he could be relied on which was important due to Lacy's conditioning issues.

PackerJoe posted:

Definitely would have rather had a younger running back but this draft doesn't have many backs that fit the profile of what Ted has drafted in the past (bigger backs that have a proven history of being able to catch the ball).  Yards from scrimmage number looks good but Starks didn't have a very good year when adding in the fumbles.  Coaches seemed pretty frustrated with him and he didn't show that he could be relied on which was important due to Lacy's conditioning issues.

Starks was used a lot more than usual due to Lacy's ineffectiveness.  Starks is a great compliment to Lacy in small spurts.  Drafting a scat back at some point in the draft would provide a perfect team of running backs for the Packers. 

Too much money IMO for a backup RB. Surprised they gave him this/he got this considering he didn't have some huge market and what kind of market was there really for a backup RB over the age of 30? Got to think this is only truly a 1yr deal in the end and that he doesn't receive the full $6 million over 2 yrs. Either way, looks like an overpay to me

Monetary value aside, Starks back is solid. He's a good RB2 who brings stability and insurance to the position. I figure GB will take a RB in the upcoming draft so it's nice to have a reliable option in Starks in place while the rookie learns the offense, etc

This is what frustrates me with TT. I'm fine with him being a bargain hunter during free agency and not throwing a bunch of money around into short-term fixes. But he doesn't hold his own guys to the same standard.

How much are we paying Starks, Taylor, Perry, Crosby, and Guion this year? It's got to be close to $15 MM. I'd rather that money be spent to get actual difference makers on the open market. I just don't see how he or anyone can justify keeping those five guys over keeping two of them and signing a stud ILB.

If they were paying the starter big money, i could see this as being too much for a backup.  But they have Lacy on the cheap still (less than $1m) so factoring in Crockett, they have less than $5m into the RB group in 2016.  That has to be one of the cheapest backfields in the NFL and if Lacy manages his weight, Starks manages his fumbling, and Crockett continues to develop, it could be one of the best.  

I like the deal.  There is a huge benefit to paying your own guys outside of the individual - it shows the rest of the roster that the Packers have loyalty and if you work hard, stay out of trouble, and perform well on the field, you'll be rewarded.  I'm starting to appreciate that approach a lot more after seeing the mass exodus in Denver.....but I still won't change my stance of signing an outside free agent to shore up the ILB position .  

Rockin' Robin posted:

This is what frustrates me with TT. I'm fine with him being a bargain hunter during free agency and not throwing a bunch of money around into short-term fixes. But he doesn't hold his own guys to the same standard.

How much are we paying Starks, Taylor, Perry, Crosby, and Guion this year? It's got to be close to $15 MM. I'd rather that money be spent to get actual difference makers on the open market. I just don't see how he or anyone can justify keeping those five guys over keeping two of them and signing a stud ILB.

So you would trade a 600 yard rusher (at 4.1 ypc), a solid backup OG, a guy who led the team in postseason sacks, an all-pro Kicker, and solid rotational DL for 1 free agent player who may or may not be the difference maker he was with his previous team?? 

Rockin' Robin posted:

What difference makers are you going to get at that price?  You're not.  If you're talking about what GD is saying and investing it all in one player then hope no one gets injured.  The cogs gotta get paid too.

Last edited by Henry

Horrible..

Ravens’ Tray Walker fighting for his life after dirt bike crash

BALTIMORE, MD - AUGUST 13: Tray Walker #25 of the Baltimore Ravens warms up against the New Orleans Saints during a preseason game at M&T Bank Stadium on August 13, 2015 in Baltimore, Maryland. (Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images) Getty Images

Those who know Ravens cornerback Tray Walker, who crashed his dirt bike in Miami on Thursday night, are just hoping he survives his injuries.

It’s a bad situation,” Walker’s agent, Ronald Butler, told the Baltimore Sun. “I’m going to be honest. We’re praying that he’s able to fight through it. . . . He has some head injuries. He’s fighting for his life right now. That’s really the most I can say.”

The 23-year-old Walker is in intensive care after colliding with a car while riding his dirt bike on a Miami street on Thursday night. The driver of the other card was not hurt and remained at the scene. Police are investigating the accident.

This guy needs a new agent...

Russell Okung the agent did a great job of persuading reporters that he did a great deal for Russell Okung the client. Based on the true details, however, Russell Okung the client may at some point have a few pointed questions for Russell Okung the agent.

PFT has obtained the official details of the five-year-not-five-year, $53-million-not-$53-million contract Okung signed Thursday with the Broncos. As previously reported, it’s a one-year, $5 million deal with an option on the rest of the contract.

But it’s not even a $5 million deal for one year. He has a $1 million workout bonus, a $2 million base salary, and a $2 million roster bonus tied to being on the 53-man roster for any one game. So, basically, the Broncos are giving Okung $1 million to participate in the offseason program, with an option before Week One to pay him another $4 million to actually play for them in 2016.

Not a single penny of the deal is guaranteed at signing.

Herschel posted:

Let's not forget, the NFL minimum for players isn't too shabby.

https://www.spotrac.com/blog/n...an-cap-benefit-rule/

A "million dollar contract" isn't such an amazing thing. 

I'm curious if the rising veteran minimums is a negative for aging players.  Say you have a 30 year old, 8 year veteran guy that wants to keep playing but not only is he competing with a rookie on the field, his cap hit is ~$500k more just based on the rules.  So it's not even a "who is the best player", it's "who is the best player at the minimum we are required to pay them".  Even if the veteran wanted to accept the same as the rookie, he couldn't.  I wonder how much this negatively affects aging players.......

Grave Digger posted:

So you would trade a 600 yard rusher (at 4.1 ypc), a solid backup OG, a guy who led the team in postseason sacks, an all-pro Kicker, and solid rotational DL for 1 free agent player who may or may not be the difference maker he was with his previous team?? 

Who said anything about 1 player? My post specifically said 1 free agent + a couple of those guys.

Also, LOL with how you justify it by saying "guy who led the team in postseason sacks"...yeah, that's always a good strategy to base investments on a two game sample size rather than what we've seen over the course of four years.

Trevathan was signed for what, $6 MM a year? I would absolutely prefer to invest in a three-down ILB who is about to enter the prime of his career over Starks and a Kicker. 

Yeah, I like Crosby and all, but kickers can be found. Heck, Pitt found a guy who was nails halfway through the season. Same with Starks...his contributions are replaceable. 

We've been waiting 6+ years for a natural ILB who can play and cover. It's completely legitimate to ask TT why he consistently double downs and reinvests in replaceable Packers but doesn't entertain solid contributors from other teams.

I know TT is beyond reproach to some of you. But the other 100 guys who GM big 4 sports teams and opt to sign players from other teams on a regular basis aren't all morons. It's possible, just possible, that TT can be wrong sometimes.

Kid dedicated his rookie season to his father who died of a heart attack in 2014. Family spread his fathers ashes off Miami beach the day after Tray was drafted. His Dad's birthday. 

Give Dad a hug Tray. That's a lot for a family to work through. 

packerboi posted:

This guy needs a new agent...

Russell Okung the agent did a great job of persuading reporters that he did a great deal for Russell Okung the client. Based on the true details, however, Russell Okung the client may at some point have a few pointed questions for Russell Okung the agent.

PFT has obtained the official details of the five-year-not-five-year, $53-million-not-$53-million contract Okung signed Thursday with the Broncos. As previously reported, it’s a one-year, $5 million deal with an option on the rest of the contract.

But it’s not even a $5 million deal for one year. He has a $1 million workout bonus, a $2 million base salary, and a $2 million roster bonus tied to being on the 53-man roster for any one game. So, basically, the Broncos are giving Okung $1 million to participate in the offseason program, with an option before Week One to pay him another $4 million to actually play for them in 2016.

Not a single penny of the deal is guaranteed at signing.

Layering in escalators for games played, holding onto to the ball and achieving certain milestones in statistics is why Russ Ball gets paid to do what he does. Kudos to Ball on Bulaga deal, Perry deal and assuming the Starks deal.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.