Skip to main content

Eager to see the numbers, but seeing as how he left GB without a deal and there didn't appear to much interest from other teams, I doubt GB caved to his demands. We will see though, depending on the price it looks like a good addition! Get Dick Rodgers to go through the Eddie Lacy offseason workout plan and suddenly GB has a solid TE duo.

Last edited by Grave Digger

GD, I'm wondering if the team wanted all that weight on DickRod, and wonder after seeing the film of him playing so much better when lighter if they need to have him slim down and forget the blocking part of his game. Finley wasn't much of a blocker, but he was a weapon.

Can BK offer some local insight?

Not a well-known name, to say the least. And why only 3 years with each team?
Although he could get a pass on the Eagles if we consider what Chipper did to that team.

Tdog posted:

so the skins have VD.  that's too bad.

So, with the name controversy, should they change their name to the Foreskins?

Imagine the announcement on opening day... "And here's your 2016 Washington Foooooorrrreeeeeskiiiiinsssss now featuring VD!"

@AdamSchefter: SF-DEN have parameters of trade agreement on Colin Kaepernick, but still need restructured deal to complete. 

@AdamSchefter: Should Denver and Colin Kaepernick agree to a restructured contract, Broncos then expected to trade mid-round pick to SF to complete deal.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_...ade-colin-kaepernick

Last edited by ilcuqui

Kaepernick would be an idiot if he agreed to a pay cut.  His salary is guaranteed right now, he'd literally be giving away money.  

And from the Broncos perspective, have they watched Kaepernick these last 2 years?  He's been terrible.  May as well go with Sanchez/Hoyer/McCown and draft a QB in the 1st/2nd.  

Yup, I have no idea why Kap would agree to a pay cut. Restructure, possibly, as long as he isn't losing any money. 

As you say, his salary is guaranteed. He doesn't have to take a pay cut. He can play or hold a clipboard & he gets paid the same. 

I love it when a plan comes together

On one hand. Kap wants no part of the dumpster fire Jed and Trent have built in Santa Clara. Can't really blame him. 

On the other hand Denver could have sat back and waited for SF to draft a QB in round 1 and then traded less for Kap. 

Restructuring Kap's contract usually means moving contract money which will count against the cap to years further out.  That will only help to restrict what they will be able to do in those years.

But they would also have to restructure their offense somewhat to accommodate Kap on the field. 

It will be interesting to see how Elway handles all this restructuring.

Boris posted:

Yup, I have no idea why Kap would agree to a pay cut. Restructure, possibly, as long as he isn't losing any money. 

As you say, his salary is guaranteed. He doesn't have to take a pay cut. He can play or hold a clipboard & he gets paid the same. 

I love it when a plan comes together

Looks like he won't take a pay cut. The only thing holding up the deal is how many $$$$$ San Fran will pay as part of his 2016 salary. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_...ade-colin-kaepernick

I guarantee the agent and NFLPA are very involved, begging Kaep not to accept it.  It's just a bad precedent to expect players to take pay cuts when traded.  I dont think this has been a part of NFL trades so not something the NFLPA wants introduced.  

And this offseason is setting a very bad precedent for Elway and the Broncos.  They've asked multiple players on their team to take paycuts; some agreed some haven't.  They've tagged a player for the 3rd year in a row b/c their distaste to pay market value.  They've let an unbelievable number of draft picks walk instead choosing to pay outside free agents.  Right now, they're slated to have only 9 drafted starters on offense and defense (including their nickel, Roby).  And now they're asking trade targets to take paycuts to come here.  As an agent, you have to see any negotiation with that team as an extreme adversarial relationship.  Manning helped them recruit free agents these last few years, but have to wonder if the Broncos are even an average destination without him.  

EDIT: Regarding restructuring a contract via trade......that has happened plenty before.  But I don't believe giving up guaranteed money has ever happened.  

Last edited by CUPackFan

Elway and Baalke...two of the most overrated GMs in the game. It's true Elway just won a SB so he gets a pass, but by the looks of his roster they won't be competing for a SB until they find a QB. Their cap is in so-so shape, they're renting the face of their franchise year to year, and their #1 QB is Mark Sanchez....oh and they're they're trying their darnedest to acquire Colin Kaepernick to presumably be their starting QB?? Say what you want about Ted Thompson's methods, but QB is the most important position on the team and he solved that issue with his first draft pick. In fact he went one step further and hired the best QB coach available to be his HC to ensure the QB position would be taken care of. 

Baalke inherited a roster from an underrated GM (Scott McGloughlin), hired a good coach that he couldn't keep (partly because of his ego), and then let his roster devolve in to arguably the 4th best football team in California after Oakland, San Diego, and Stanford (maybe 5th with the Rams in the mix). 

Elway's been to 2 Super Bowls and won 1 since being named GM in 2011. That's hardly the definition of overrated. As for the future of the Broncos, I wouldn't be so quick to bury them. 

Yeah & Shannarat went to 2 straight super bowls while cheating the salary cap & hasn't been to another since.

If Green Bay played in the AFC, they would've probably been in 4 of the last 5 Super Bowls. Such as life in the NFL.

I'll be the first to bury Denver. They're done

And something else that's been being discussed in Denver........no way Elway convinces Talib, Ware, Ward, Mathis, Sanders, etc. to sign with Denver if Manning isn't here.  Guys like that are begging to play with a QB like Manning (in his prime) b/c it guarantees playoffs and thus a shot at a Super Bowl (especially in the AFC).  When you have Mark Sanchez at QB?  Unless the money is there, nothing Elway can say will attract top flight free agents.  And we're starting to see that.  Interesting to see how the next 2-3 years go for them.......

Sanchez "took" the Jets to the AFC Championship game twice.

With Rex.

Just sayin'. 

Actually, is Sanchez any worse than Manning was last season? Manning's pre-snap decision making was good, but he really couldn't throw much of anything if he had to play two weeks in a row. 

Kaep is the poster boy for "Not For Long". Seemed like just yesterday that Jaws was proclaiming him as the eventual greatest QB in the history of the world.  Now?  No one wants him.  

Playing QB in the NFL: 20% physical, 80% mental.  And that might be generous to the physical side.  

Can't blame Kaepernick for this. He was supposed to give away 5 million dollars for nothing?

I agree on Sanchez versus the 2015 version of Manning. Manning was really terrible last year - at some level maybe the worst QB from a statistical perspective ever to win a Super Bowl (when restricted to looking solely at that year).

Neh, you have to have a QB to win a SB. Denver has no QB because Elway couldn't or wouldn't pull the trigger on a player they drafted for this exact purpose! I'm not an Osweiler fan, but they either realized they didn't want him earlier and Elway did nothing to prepare OR it took them until the end of last season for them to realize they didn't want him which makes them look incompetent OR they bungled the negotiations. Based on how Denver's office handled the Elvis Dumervil situation, I tend to think the latter scenario is the reality. Mark Sanchez went to two AFCC's behind a strong, proven running game and an elite D...Denver has most of the pieces back for their elite D, but can CJ Anderson carry that team back to the SB? Doubt it. Elway bought a championship with Manning and key free agents and now his team has likely been set back until they find a franchise QB. He gets a short term pass because he just won a championship, but in its current form his team isn't built for the long haul.  Elway wasn't hired to win 1 SB, he was hired to make sure his team is competing for championships ever year. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.