Skip to main content

As a Packers' fan during the TT era, this time of the year absolutely sucks with the exceptions being the 2006 and 2014 free agency period.  Really really liked that Peppers signing in 2014 and it did really hit the jackpot, at least for that one year.

The good news is.. this time of year will soon be over, and the draft, training camp, and regular season will bring good things.  Maybe not a Super Bowl championship... but there will be good things to come.

michiganjoe posted:
Herschel posted:

As for the Bennett thing, why would the Bears trade him within the division? 

No reason whatsoever to believe the Bears would do that. Lots of legitimate criticisms of TT available without resorting to that type of ridiculous nonsense.

I do believe the Bears are in rebuilding mode so I suppose they would likely take the best deal. I think it is more likely the Pack didn't even inquire than that Bears 100% won't trade within the division.

I think we just need to resign ourselves to the fact that the club will have the same poor set of TEs unless they nail a pick.

Orlando Wolf posted:

Recall people getting bent out of shape a few years ago for Ted not perusing Michael huff in free agency. Reminder on keeping things in perspective.

Recall people pretending A.J. Hawk & Brad Jones were legitimate NFL starters in 2015, that Nate Palmer was an answer in 2015, and that Richard Rodgers would make a big leap in year 2 (2015).

Sometimes when fans see a hole in the roster, say at middle linebacker and TE, they are right.

For those of the opinion that a Barrington/Ryan combo at ILB is fine and dandy (assuming MM was not just spouting off about moving Clay back to OLB) and Richard Rodgers will become a better player in year 3 (or Justin Perillo or Mitchell Henry or Kennard Backman will become worthy NFL players), I can understand why ignoring trades and veteran free agency makes sense. 

For those of us who see needs at ILB (for at least the third year in a row), TE, backup T, RB, etc., completely ignoring free agency and trades as a means of acquiring talent is, at best, confusing.

Every year we go through the same angst about not signing free agents and every year the Packers field one of the most dominating teams in the NFL without overpaying.  I'll continue to trust Ted on this one.

This team struggled last year due to horrible injuries.  Richard Rodgers is a very talented tight end, he put up better receiving numbers than a tight end has in years.  In fact for all the reverence Keith Jackson gets, he never put up numbers like Rodgers wearing a Packer uniform.  And Rodgers season was every bit as good as any that Finely had.  So I see no reason to overpay an aging tight end when we have a young stud that should keep us set for years.

At inside linebacker, I saw a fast, aggressive, athletic rookie with sideline to sideline ability who just needs some seasoning.  I expect Ryan to make a huge leap in year 2.  And Barrington was an aggressive stud before he got hurt.  We just need to draft for some depth and I'm sure TT will find some gems in the mid rounds that will make other teams envious like he always does.

We need to save our dough to sign some of the free agents coming up.  And use our draft picks to bolster the middle of our defensive line and get some more pass rushing help, the one area that I have real concerns for this team. 

So while other teams rebuild, the Packers just reload because we have the best front office in the league.

FLPACKER posted:

Not so much how many injuries you have....it is to what positions you have them. Linsley getting hurt is not as devastating as nelson being lost.

Good point. It also helps when your coaching staff has a pulse on what back ups belong on the field when a starter goes down. Don Barclay at LT was all kinds of disaster when a much more capable player in JC Tretter, who played LT in college, continued to sit on the sidelines.

And then there was Janis!, who we kept being told wasn't ready, couldn't run routes, etc etc. Who then proceeded to torch the AZ Cardinals Defense for nearly 150 yards + TD's in the playoffs.

MN Backthepack posted:

In fact for all the reverence Keith Jackson gets, he never put up numbers like Rodgers wearing a Packer uniform.  And Rodgers season was every bit as good as any that Finely had. 

You lost me here.  Box score scouting provides little insight to what actually happens in a football game.  You have to actually watch the games to see how players perform, not just analyze stats.  Comparing Richard Rodgers to Keith Jackson is, for lack of a better word, idiotic.  

MN Backthepack posted:

Every year we go through the same angst about not signing free agents and every year the Packers field one of the most dominating teams in the NFL without overpaying.  I'll continue to trust Ted on this one.

This team struggled last year due to horrible injuries.  Richard Rodgers is a very talented tight end, he put up better receiving numbers than a tight end has in years.  In fact for all the reverence Keith Jackson gets, he never put up numbers like Rodgers wearing a Packer uniform.  And Rodgers season was every bit as good as any that Finely had.  So I see no reason to overpay an aging tight end when we have a young stud that should keep us set for years.

At inside linebacker, I saw a fast, aggressive, athletic rookie with sideline to sideline ability who just needs some seasoning.  I expect Ryan to make a huge leap in year 2.  And Barrington was an aggressive stud before he got hurt.  We just need to draft for some depth and I'm sure TT will find some gems in the mid rounds that will make other teams envious like he always does.

We need to save our dough to sign some of the free agents coming up.  And use our draft picks to bolster the middle of our defensive line and get some more pass rushing help, the one area that I have real concerns for this team. 

So while other teams rebuild, the Packers just reload because we have the best front office in the league.

In what universe is Ryan considered "athletic" and Barrington a "stud" ?

kcpuck posted:
MN Backthepack posted:

In what universe is Ryan considered "athletic" and Barrington a "stud" ?

As far as Ryan being athletic goes, it might interest some people to go check out his combine numbers against the much sought after Trevathon.  Ryans got atheletic ability.  Can he bring it to the field more effectively in his second year?

packerboi posted:

And then there was Janis!, who we kept being told wasn't ready, couldn't run routes, etc etc. Who then proceeded to torch the AZ Cardinals Defense for nearly 150 yards + TD's in the playoffs.

Lack of context.  Saying he "torched the AZ D for 150yds + TD's in the playoffs." is as bad as those who say he wasn't ready, couldn't run routes, etc.   Unless you're telling me he will reliably catch 2 hail mary's thrown up to him every game in 2016.  I'm sure his ability lies somewhere in the middle.

Last edited by DH13
Troy posted:
SteveLuke posted:
Orlando Wolf posted:

Recall people getting bent out of shape a few years ago for Ted not perusing Michael huff in free agency. Reminder on keeping things in perspective.

Recall people pretending A.J. Hawk & Brad Jones were legitimate NFL starters in 2015,

Bull****.  Now you are reaching.

My bad, I meant 2014. Hawk and B. Jones were gone in 2015.

Nonetheless, all offseason going into the 2014 season, a large contingent of Packer fans were concerned about the ILB position while others insisted with TT in charge Hawk & B. Jones were going to be just fine.

That lasted 1 game for Jones (he was so bad in the opener in Seattle he never started again). Meanwhile, Hawk was finally, finally benched after the Sunday night loss in New Orleans.

Turns out the fans were right on that one.

DH13 posted:
packerboi posted:

Lack of context.  Saying he "torched the AZ D for 150yds + TD's in the playoffs." is as bad as those who say he wasn't ready, couldn't run routes, etc.   Unless you're telling me he will reliably catch 2 hail mary's thrown up to him every game in 2016.  I'm sure his ability lies somewhere in the middle.

His ability does likely rely somewhere in the middle, but it always bugs me when observers and/or defenders of performances say things like "take away that one 70 yard run so-and so had" and we stopped them against the run. Or "if not for those 2 long pass completions so-and-so had" we shut down X wide receiver. I don't care how he caught his passes, he was a big threat that day that at least begged the question why wasn't he on the field sooner.

Remember, this wasn't some slouch defense playing in a meaningless game. He caught 7 passes and avged nearly 21 yards per catch against a secondary that was supposedly among the best.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.