Skip to main content

Boyle only really started 1 full season of college football and it was at Eastern Kentucky so I can see why the Pack isn't all in on him.  That said, his arm and feathery touch on the deep ball give him a fighter's chance of making it in the NFL.  Every so often a significant talent can slip through the cracks, and a couple years down the road he could be ready to show that.

Connecticut sounded like a trainwreck.  He could be Jay Cutler for all we know sans cigarette.  I don't seem to remember Cutler tearing it up a Vandy but then the competition is a bit stiffer at Vandy. 

Last edited by Henry
WolfPack posted:

is a guy who is 11-22 (50%) for 167 against PS players really ready to compete for a backup spot? I know everyone loves a good rags to riches story but lets not let this love fest Boyle over

I don't think the stats are that important here.  He passes the eye test.  And the drop by C'mon Moore is criminal.

And a couple of nice lines there, WP!

Last edited by Brak

He clearly has all the physical tools.  Flicks a helluva spiral.  But a lot of guys in the punt pass and kick competition can do that too.  They can not however have a lot of success vs a 1st string D in the NFL.  That's why you can't "roll with Boyle" if AR goes down and he's the #2.  You might be able to find some pass plays that he can execute on schedule but in the end, if you're lucky and he doesn't throw 3 picks,  you'll end up with about as much success as you would have with Hundley. 

At this point Boyle needs time to fester before he's ready to pop.

Last edited by DH13

Oh, I get that.  Lookit, I'm just with some others.  I don't think any one of them could win a game the others couldn't.  I don't think the other two can throw that outside ball very well, and that pass to 19 over the middle was a rope, and thrown before 19 made his cut. 

I'll officially let it go.  Until something that happens Thursday night makes me not.

Brak posted:

I don't think any one of them could win a game the others couldn't.  I don't think the other two can throw that outside ball very well...

This.

Has been my opinion for weeks now.

Unless there is a value-prop vet in the cuts, go with Boyle.

Even looking at other teams QB depth, there could potentially be some trade options. Either AJ McCarron or Nate Peterman will be the #3 in BUF, Drew Stanton is the #3 in CLE, Nate Sudfeld will be the #3 in PHI, Chad Kelly might end up being the #3 in DEN, again Teddy B will be the #3 for NYJ. All of those players are  better than BH, DK, and TB and I think could all be had for a reasonable price (mid round pick?). You could even keep DK as the #3 and stick Boyle on the PS to continue their development, but you gotta have a more reliable #2. 

One other thing about Boyle that I noticed: he keeps his head very quiet while looking downfield. Most young guys turn their head this way then that way if they can't find an open guy or just stare down their receiver. It looks like Boyle keeps his eyes downfield and head steady, even as he throws to the sideline. He doesn't let on where the ball is going. That's a good skill in a young guy.

Goalline posted:

Did Nagler get the heave ho from JS Online?

Looks like it

Michael Cohen also bailed on JSO. Tough times to be a traditional reporter these days. Papers aren't making money they used to, not to mention they aren't paying either.

Does anyone even major in journalism these days? 

Michael CohenVerified account

@Michael_Cohen13

Covering the Green Bay Packers for The Athletic. Born and raised in Connecticut. The other football is my favorite football.

Brainwashed Boris posted:
Goalline posted:

Did Nagler get the heave ho from JS Online?

Looks like it

And I’d very much like to thank @PGPackersNews for making their site more interesting.

I do like Cohen...a lot.

Last edited by Goalline
DH13 posted:

He clearly has all the physical tools.  Flicks a helluva spiral.  But a lot of guys in the punt pass and kick competition can do that too.  They can not however have a lot of success vs a 1st string D in the NFL.  That's why you can't "roll with Boyle" if AR goes down and he's the #2.  You might be able to find some pass plays that he can execute on schedule but in the end, if you're lucky and he doesn't throw 3 picks,  you'll end up with about as much success as you would have with Hundley. 

At this point Boyle needs time to fester before he's ready to pop.

Boyle throws a nice pass but what I really noticed was his presence in the pocket and going through his reads.  Any rookie QB is going to have some issues when the bullets fly.  That's why I wished they would've run him with the #1s a couple of times to see if that presence and decision making held up.  Hundley still doesn't get beyond first read and check down and Kizer, who the **** knows at this point.  

Joe Callahan ran around and made some nice passes playing sandlot with scrubs.  Kizer and Hundley scoot around too.  Nothing wrong with being mobile but neither of those guys can do what Rodgers does.  Hardly anyone can.  Boyle looks like he could honestly become a solid pocket passer.  

Last edited by Henry
Hungry5 posted:

If you are blonde and female, you can work as a journalist for Fox.

wrong, if you are a hot blonde and female, you can work as a journalist for Fox.

OTOH, if you are an ugly, repulsive female hag you qualify as an anchor for MSNBC.

Hungry5 posted:

A. Hundley has had 2 years. His 2nd season was lost to an early camp injury.

B. Does not excuse his complete lack of development to this point.

C. Hundley is gone next Friday or soon after if Boyle handles the speed of the NFL game on Thursday. McCarthy is stubborn, but he ain't stupid.

Well played, sir.

Keeping Hundley on this team is the same as Sherman keeping a 2nd punter because "someone has to be inactive"

I'd rather have 0 backup QB's than keep Hundley because basically that's what we have anyway. He's nothing but a person back there impersonating an NFL QB.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.