Skip to main content

Thoughts on Gary. Filthy athlete. Incredible fight. Needs coaching to learn how to play football. If he connects the dots he’s dominant. He’s Vernon Gholston today. Za’Darius Smith signing might help two ways. 

Re-watched the early quarters with Gary. He got good push on a few plays and moved the pile flushing the QB. Then kinda got gassed. But always have to keep in mind, he was surrounded by a bunch of back ups with Pettine running an extremely vanilla scheme. And we're talking pre-season game 1. 

Agree on Z Smith. Having a player of that caliber next to Gary will only help him. And Gary won't be thrown into the fires forcing him to play 75 snaps a game. They can ease him in there. 

don't know if it's been discussed here or posted somewhere, but I heard audio of Z Smith this week saying the opportunity to come here and be a/the leader of this defense was a big attraction to him.  not to pick on Clay but quite the anti-Clay statement.  if Z turns out to be just that - a dominate defensive leader - we're gonna be cooking with gas!  and that makes everyone else better too.

Kevin Greene didn't tell CJ Wilson It Is Time. He told the bloodline he was familiar with. Kevin went against Bruce Matthews for years. HOF vs HOF. "It Is Time" wasn't a throwaway sound bite. Kevin knew Clay would respond to a family menace that brought the best out of his family.  When Kevin went away so did Clay. Kevin Greene and Clay were diametric perfection. 

Last edited by ChilliJon
PackLandVA posted:

Trash former players that go to other teams (and former coaches).  That's what X4 is all about.

The stats/ hair comment was overstating it I admit. I take that part back. 

The point was and is, for years the defense lacked a team leader , and it was never a role CMIII assumed or was said to have by anyone, not his teammates, or fans, or anyone here or anywhere. It’s not trashing him to say that he said it himself. It wasn’t his thing. 

I wouldn't know about Peter King. 

ChilliJon posted:

Kevin Greene didn't tell CJ Wilson It Is Time. He told the bloodline he was familiar with. Kevin went against Bruce Matthews for years. HOF vs HOF. "It Is Time" wasn't a throwaway sound bite. Kevin knew Clay would respond to a family menace that brought the best out of his family.  When Kevin went away so did Clay. Kevin Greene and Clay were diametric perfection. 

Clay "went away" with the whole James Harrison steroids probe. 

Packers attendance report: Returned: Josh Jones, Aaron Jones, Josh Jackson, Corey Linsley, Preston Smith. Newly out: Oren Burks (chest), Malcolm Johnson (groin), Kingsley Keke (quad contusion), Bryan Bulaga (rest). Still out: Trevor Davis, Kevin King, Jamaal Williams, Ibraheim Campbell, Greg Roberts, Jace Sternberger, Fadol Brown.

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

Hollman and Brown have done a very nice job it their place.

Last edited by michiganjoe
DH13 posted:

If you give Boyle until he's 30, yeah he might be a starter.

Chripst, didn't Joe Webb start in that playoff vs MIN in maybe 2013?

Yeah, in those 5 yrs he might turn out to be a guy who can carry you to the playoffs. That will be right around the time that Rodgers hangs it up.

When Rodgers get's dinged I'd much rather rely on Boyle than Kizer because Boyle is accurate. Whether or not he can figure out the pro game, I don't know. But I do know he has an NFL arm AND he is accurate with it.

Kizer has an arm just isn't accurate with it. That's a big problem. The NFL is all about accuracy. The windows are too tight and the speed too fast to be inaccurate. 

And Webb did start for the Wipings. I was at the game 6 years ago. He got tossed in as the starter at the last minute because OnWard Christain Ponder came up lame. He didn't throw the ball that well but he ran for about 70 yds and kept MN. Tough duty for a young guy but he didn't wilt.

I think Kizer wilts, just like he did v. the bears last season. And he has tons more experience than Webb had in that game. 

FLPACKER posted:

Bulaga  will be our starting RT on opening day 

Yeah when he’s healthy he’s easily one of the top 5 RTs in the entire league. Cap savings would only be just north of $6M so it’s not like he’s a huge burden. With a viable option behind him it’s worth the risk to see if he stays healthy and let him play out his last year. Turner and Bulaga is better than McCray/Jenkins and Turner. 

michiganjoe posted:

MJ, thx for the update. 

I feel bad for Burks, but I believe We are going to be fine Ther, if not better. 

Trade for Clay Matthews?

I watched the play where Burks got injured 4 times.  He was looking the other way when the ball got snapped, then went flying towards the play and stuck his arm out really for no reason.  It was a reckless move.  Before that his head was constantly looking around pre-snap like he was trying to figure it all out, really jumpy and nervous looking.  He wasn't settled down in any way, or in the flow of the game at all yet, and it looked like it led directly to the injury.

This is definitely not what he or the defense needed.  Ugh.  He's set way back now.

Yeah Ty Summers is in for trial by fire.  Luckily it looks like he might be up for the task, but with just him and Crawford, it's looking pretty thin.

Last edited by Pistol GB

With Summers and Martinez at ILB look for lots of wide open receivers in the middle of the field again this year. Might have been the same with Burks but at least there was a chance he could be a cover guy. 

Pistol GB posted:

Trade for Clay Matthews?

I watched the play where Burks got injured 4 times.  He was looking the other way when the ball got snapped, then went flying towards the play and stuck his arm out really for no reason.  It was a reckless move.  Before that his head was constantly looking around pre-snap like he was trying to figure it all out, really jumpy and nervous looking.  He wasn't settled down in any way, or in the flow of the game at all yet, and it looked like it led directly to the injury.

This is definitely not what he or the defense needed.  Ugh.  He's set way back now.

Yeah Ty Summers is in for trial by fire.  Luckily it looks like he might be up for the task, but with just him and Crawford, it's looking pretty thin.

Yep, but I’m more confident in depth there. 

AtTheMurph posted:
DH13 posted:

If you give Boyle until he's 30, yeah he might be a starter.

Chripst, didn't Joe Webb start in that playoff vs MIN in maybe 2013?

Yeah, in those 5 yrs he might turn out to be a guy who can carry you to the playoffs. That will be right around the time that Rodgers hangs it up.

When Rodgers get's dinged I'd much rather rely on Boyle than Kizer because Boyle is accurate. Whether or not he can figure out the pro game, I don't know. But I do know he has an NFL arm AND he is accurate with it.

Kizer has an arm just isn't accurate with it. That's a big problem. The NFL is all about accuracy. The windows are too tight and the speed too fast to be inaccurate. 

And Webb did start for the Wipings. I was at the game 6 years ago. He got tossed in as the starter at the last minute because OnWard Christain Ponder came up lame. He didn't throw the ball that well but he ran for about 70 yds and kept MN. Tough duty for a young guy but he didn't wilt.

I think Kizer wilts, just like he did v. the bears last season. And he has tons more experience than Webb had in that game. 

"He got tossed in as the starter at the last minute because OnWard Christain Ponder came up lame."  Wasn't Ponder always lame?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.