Skip to main content

It sounds like he DOES see WR as a need, but after their immediate impact guys were gone they didn't feel it would make a difference to take a WR. I don't think he's wrong either, after the first ~10 WRs in this draft, I don't think there's anyone who would help GB in 2020 (which is what everyone wants). I think this is why we see a UFA investment in WR prior to game 1.

Aside from Adams, our WR crew that is returning from last year combined for 74 catches for the entire season.  Hard to believe there wasn't one WR they could have drafted who would not be an upgrade over that.

As far as a Wonderlic score goes, Love is only 1 point behind Drew Brees and Russell Wilson.  The amount of NFL QBs who were busts and had high Wonderlic scores is actually very high.  Just tons and tons of mediocre to bad NFL QBs had higher Wonderlic scores than Brees/Wilson.  A guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick who is very mistake prone has a high Wonderlic.

What's my point? If Love fails in the NFL it's not due to his overall intelligence.  If he fails, it's going to be something else. Maybe he's slow to process everything happening on the field, maybe he's inaccurate when hurried, maybe his field vision isn't elite, etc.  His intelligence will not be the reason he fails if he fails.

@slowmo posted:

Aside from Adams, our WR crew that is returning from last year combined for 74 catches for the entire season.  Hard to believe there wasn't one WR they could have drafted who would not be an upgrade over that.

I guess we'll have to look at it like this, our "draft picks" are Equanimious St. Brown and Devin Funchess since neither played a down for the Pack last year.  Underwhelming on paper, but you never know, maybe one of those guys can improve the unit.  The bad news... neither of those guys has the speed the unit could really use.

Last edited by fightphoe93

Right or wrong, Gute really wanted this guy:

Green Bay Packers’ franchise quarterback, but general manager Brian Gutekunst would not be denied. Picking a quarterback in the first round might have upset the Green Bay Packers’ franchise quarterback, but general manager Brian Gutekunst would not be denied.

Minnesota Vikings to ask for a trade up." The Packers were so excited to move up for Love, they even called the Minnesota Vikings to ask for a trade up.

Packers tried to get a trade with the Vikings

It’s rare for teams to deal within the division. If it happens, it’s usually later in the draft, not the first round.

And it’s definitely not common for a team to give their division rival a potential starting quarterback. Yet, the Packers called the Vikings anyway, according to ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler.

Last edited by packerboi

All this tells me is Gute did his due diligence, which is what he should do.  If Love was the only player with a 1st round grade still on their board, and he needs to move up to draft him, of course you're going to call every team to see what kind of offers he can get.  And then he took the best one.  And only giving up a late 4th is a pretty good deal.

The same is true for their 2nd round, trying to move up to get a WR.  Sounds like someone they liked for their scheme fell, and they called around trying to make a deal.  It just didn't happen that time, whether nobody wanted to trade, or the offers weren't good enough to justify the move up for the player.

All of these types of articles are written like there's something odd about calling a division opponent or trying to move up to get a WR and only getting a RB instead.  But this stuff happens all the time in drafts.  To suggest this is somehow abnormal is silly.

I'm not pissed about drafting a QB....it's the next 2 picks that pissed me off plus that LB'r in round 5. That dude will be outta the league in 2-3 years. 

I've never seen a team receive such a low post draft grade from multiple media outlets. 

Hell, even Chad Reuter (who is a Packer fan) gave them a C-

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04...rs-draft-selection-t

“We looked at it like we really do every year,” Gutekunst said Sunday afternoon. “We evaluate all the players and certainly quarterback is of the highest priority for an NFL franchise. We evaluate those guys very closely. And you set your boards. Again, you don't know what’ll happen. But I've never in my time in Green Bay, we've never been in a spot where it was like, ‘Hey, we have to go get a quarterback this year.’ This was no different. Long story short, eventually, Love was the top guy left, and the gap was widening. As those players got picked, it was kind of like, with the way our board was, there really wasn't anyone else at that level that we felt comfortable taking."

Last edited by Boris

Draft grades are typically based on filling team needs while factoring in that publications evaluation of each player.  I give this draft a C- only because I am on board with the Love pick enough to not hate it.  I give that pick a B-. 

Dillon I give a C-, only because it seems like he will add value to this team in 2020 and beyond.  I just don't like it bc I really like Jones and want him resigned.  If that happens, Dillon's impact is limited.  If they let Jones walk, it's clearly because of the Dillon pick which would piss me off because again, I really like Jones and don't think he'll break the bank on an extension.  

I give Doguera an F-.  There is no path where Doguera's play can match this draft slot.  If they wanted a FB in the Jusczyk mold, they could have traded for Andy Janovich this offseason.  Broncos traded him to the Bengals for a 7th rounder.  This was a massive reach for an incorrectly perceived need.  

The rest of the draft was a B but it barely matters.  If one guy pans out in the 5th-7th rounds, it's a success.  So C-.  

@fightphoe93 posted:

I guess we'll have to look at it like this, our "draft picks" are Equanimious St. Brown and Devin Funchess since neither played a down for the Pack last year.  Underwhelming on paper, but you never know, maybe one of those guys can improve the unit.  The bad news... neither of those guys has the speed the unit could really use.

Don't sleep on the Canadian guy Begelton.

@CUPackFan posted:

So I guess the Packers did draft an offensive weapon in the first then......Rodgers should be happy!!

And good call on the other three WR/TEs tat were first rounders.  But that kind of makes my point - these guys can be had in free agency and trades without having to draft in the first.  Better to let another draft them in the first then you get them later.  

The packers spent a first rounder on an offensive weapon in the 1996 SB winning team. His number was 4.

Green Bay wasn't going to let Jordan Love slip

Source: NFL.com - Nick Shook

Green Bay Packers QB Jordan Love was highly coveted by the team before the Packers traded up to the 26th overall pick of the 2020 NFL Draft to select him. Ian Rapoport of NFL Network said Monday, April 27, the Packers were 'adamant' about acquiring the QB.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

The Packers made the move for the quarterback they can groom as an heir apparent to Aaron Rodgers. People talk about this motivating Rodgers, but is he really the type of guy who needs that? Rodgers is plenty motivated on his own! Now Green Bay has lit a fire they didn't need to. Love is a fine developmental quarterback but he'll need some time to be ready to start. Rodgers needed help...how about a wide receiver or two in the GREATEST wide receiver class in NFL history?!? Instead, the Packers failed to help their passing game in this draft. Sigh. We'll see how this works out.

------

Thanks Joe Bryant. 

Gawd this media talk is so reminiscent of 2005. I remember all the talk was about ushering Favre out the door and how mad Favre was and how GB should have taken a receiver. It’s funny too because the media loves to rail on Rodgers criticizing his personality, relationships, body language, etc. Now that there’s a juicy story, they’re suddenly all about defending Rodgers and slamming the organization. It’s the same reach that happened last season with his relationship with LaFleur. Now that it’s obvious their relationship is fine and successful, we need some other intrigue. 

@ammo posted:

Rong.     They played well down the stretch.   I doubt any team right now is planning on losing for the season. 

Next dumbass take. 

I suggest you review the Phins' front office moves in prep for the 2019 season thru their 0-7 start before your next dumbass take.

Seems like a pretty obvious attempt at a tank job. Well, I guess not to everyoneâ€Ķ

Last edited by chickenboy

As I have said to a few of you in PM it is bewildering to me is how many people listen to clueless analysis -and perceive the gospel of Mel, Jerimiah, Bucky as facts before hand and that look at the 05 draft just proves my point.  This draft is the "vision draft" of a first year coach so don't doubt the vision just hope the player evaluations were spot on!!

@chickenboy posted:

I suggest you review the Phins' front office moves in prep for the 2019 season thru their 0-7 start before your next dumbass take.

Seems like a pretty obvious attempt at a tank job. Well, I guess not to everyoneâ€Ķ

You're rong too. If they were truly tanking the coaching staff would have had a game plan that was for losing.  And if they really wanted Burrows all they had to do was trade up.  I'm sure Cinncy would have listened.   So if the Packers, God forbid start 0-3 next year who are they tanking for??  

Here’s another thought on the Love pick: What if he doesn’t work out? Say they work with him for a couple of years and he’s just not grasping it, or whatever. He becomes Brian Brohm and the current regime has another shot to find a replacement before Rodgers retires. It’s not like they haven’t written off other high draft pick busts after a couple of years.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.