Skip to main content

A very substantial investment in him and my guess would be Love gets more than a couple of years

This. ^^ 

Not to mention with a run centric/first offense MLF is deploying, it's not like this kid is going to be asked to be all-world at QB either, at least early on. Push the ball down the field, minimize mistake, a lot of play action, and high percentage throws to start things off. 

And I will say this right now. I will predict Love has a pretty good relationship with AR. I do not see the cold shoulder Favre gave AR happening with Love. I think AR is acutely aware of his legacy and does not want to go down the road Bert did. 

Last edited by packerboi
@packerboi posted:

And I will say this right now. I will predict Love has a pretty good relationship with AR. I do not see the cold shoulder Favre gave AR happening with Love. I think AR is acutely aware of his legacy and does not want to go down the road Bert did. 

Certainly won't give a hint to it publicly if there is anything there.

@chickenboy posted:

I suggest you review the Phins' front office moves in prep for the 2019 season thru their 0-7 start before your next dumbass take.

Seems like a pretty obvious attempt at a tank job. Well, I guess not to everyone…

Or it might simply be viewed as a shitty team getting rid of players that they didn't want to have around.

The 2018 Dolphins started 3-0. They finished 4-9 and one of the 4 was an OT win v. the bears and the other was the miracle finish v. NE to win by 1 pt. Their leading rusher was 35 yr old Frank Gore, top WR 33 yr old Danny Amendola. Tannehill was the QB.

The Defense was bottom tier as was the offense. They were not going to win anything with what they had so I totally agree with the rebuild efforts. The tank argument I think is BS.

What they did is to go young. Play the young guys and try to build a winner. I think more teams should do it when they know they cannot win with their core group but they don't. They remain in purgatory.

In 2005, Rodgers negatives was he held the ball way too high, he was too slow to read defenses and therefore hung onto the ball too long, and took too many sacks. 

I will always wonder what would have happened to AR's career if he was drafted by the Whiners or another team where he would have been expected to start immediately. 

Maybe the guy is still a HOF level QB. Or maybe teams would have grown tired of him being a sack machine and his confidence in himself goes into the shitter. 

Fluff piece or not, one thing IMO rings true. Love is indeed in a very ideal position being able to watch and develop from the sidelines for what is likely 2 years, maybe 3. Very few 1st round draft choice QB's get that opportunity. 

Last edited by packerboi

As a teacher from Love's high school, I will say he was a talented three sport athlete who transformed his body after graduating early (missed his senior year in basketball so he could go play spring ball in college), completely changed his diet (no more junk food) and became a workout warrior building up his strength and lowering his body fat. Took the sport very seriously.

Great.  I hope his education isn't what led him to bad decision making on the field.

@packerboi posted:

In 2005, Rodgers negatives was he held the ball way too high, he was too slow to read defenses and therefore hung onto the ball too long, and took too many sacks. 

I will always wonder what would have happened to AR's career if he was drafted by the Whiners or another team where he would have been expected to start immediately. 

Maybe the guy is still a HOF level QB. Or maybe teams would have grown tired of him being a sack machine and his confidence in himself goes into the shitter. 

Fluff piece or not, one thing IMO rings true. Love is indeed in a very ideal position being able to watch and develop from the sidelines for what is likely 2 years, maybe 3. Very few 1st round draft choice QB's get that opportunity. 

Not even in the same vicinity as Rodgers in college.  "Raw".  "Potential".  "Bad decisions". 

Last edited by Henry
@antooo posted:

What does 'incredibly toolsy' mean?

Is that some kind or urban code?

It's a baseball term, a tool is the ability to do something.   A 5 tool player can run, field, hit for power, hit for average and throw.    Think Ken Griffey JR or Mike Trout. 

So when an athlete is described as toolsy, it means they are good at everything required for the sport. 

Yes it is fluff, but that doesn't mean its untrue and we shouldn't be excited about Love's potential. He's big, strong armed, athletic, accurate, and doesn't play scared. Decision making, technique, mechanics, all that stuff can be fixed, he has the tools to be a franchise QB. Also its a dead period, wtf else is there to talk about? 

You forgot POTENTIAL!!!!

I look at Love's decision making more as a moratorium on Walking Participation Ribbon's teaching acumen.

Last edited by Henry

I'm sure he's a superb individual who knows the difference between a salad fork and a dinner fork but then that's not what we're talking about here is it.  Plenty of swell guys in the league who can't play in the league.

The explanation of being able to coach bad decision making is highly debatable and there's a virtual laundry list of QBs who prove otherwise (cross the Illinois border).  As a Packers fan I wish him luck and much success.  I just hate the concept of "potential" picks especially when moving up in the 1st round.

Last edited by Henry

Love did well in 2018, with then-coach, and some talent around him...

Last year, he was starting all over, and was playing more like a Favre than a Rodgers...I'll still take either QB...πŸ‘

Given the time he'll have to develop behind Aaron, I fully expect him to be the starter after Aaron when the time comes, whenever that may be. 

Last edited by Packmeister

Maybe we'll do better with "potential picks" in R1 than "real picks." I'm looking at you Mandarich, B. Clark, Datone, Harrell, Reynolds, D. Thompson, R. Campbell, Koncar, Barty and Barry Smith, Tagge, Moore, Horn, Elkins, et al. In fact, when we've moved up we got Rodgers and Matthews. 

A R1 designation, moving up or not, does not mean instant success.

@Packmeister posted:

Love did well in 2018, with then-coach, and some talent around him...

Last year, he was starting all over, and was playing more like a Favre than a Rodgers...I'll still take either QB...πŸ‘

Given the time he'll have to develop behind Aaron, I fully expect him to be the starter after Aaron when the time comes, whenever that may be. 

Love did well in 2018 with shorter passes and a lot of WR YAC, which is all fine and dandy.  If that's how he's used and the Packers are successful, sooper dooper.  2019 air raid offense, which should be all about his crazy talent, he made awful decisions.  I'm not taking away from the change over in personnel and coaching but it's important to look at everything. 

Again, it wasn't so much that his decision making may have been poor in a new offense but rather there were more than a few comments about how poor the decisions were.  This is at USU in an air raid offense that supposedly isn't that complex.  I think that's a valid concern for a guy coming into the NFL as a 1st round pick the Packers moved up to take.  He now has to up his game exponentially.

I have zero problem with taking a QB in the first but moving up is pretty questionable.  If someone were to say "but Indy would've taken him", who cares?  That's reaching.  Any comparison to Rodgers in 2005 is wrong as hell too.  If Burrows fell to mid 20's that would be equivalent to Rodgers in 2005, not moving up to draft Love with all his potential.

We'll see how it all shakes out but I'm done tootin' the horn for some guy that hasn't proven squat and his last showing wasn't exactly impressive.  He could "potentially" be awesome but just as likely be pedestrian.

I particularly don't want to hear it if the defense is getting gashed up the middle again.

Last edited by Henry

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.