Skip to main content

Devonte Wyatt
Player Bio
Wyatt was a four-star prospect from Decatur, Georgia, when he signed with the Bulldogs. He went to Hutchinson Community College in 2017 (30 tackles, 4.5 for loss with three sacks) to improve his grades before heading to Athens. Wyatt played in 12 games as a reserve in 2018 (19 tackles, 1.5 sacks) and played in 13 games with one start in 2019 (30 tackles, 1.5 for loss). He became a regular starter in 2020 (25 tackles, two for loss in 10 games) and burst onto the scene as a first-team All-SEC selection to lead the Bulldogs' national title run in 2021 (39 tackles, seven for loss with 2.5 sacks, two forced fumbles in 14 starts). -- by Chad Reuter
Overview
Highly active defensive tackle with decent strength. Wyatt is made for movement and disruptions. He helped himself in 2021 with better tape both against the run and as a pass rusher. His lateral quickness is useful in beating zone blocks and in sliding across the front in a game-based pass rush. Wyatt has adequate strength but struggles to withstand a second blocker. The traits are average, but the effort is consistent and Wyatt should fit nicely as a rotational, gap-seeking three-technique with disruptive flashes.
Strengths
  • Initial punch lands with some pop.
  • Lateral quickness beats move-blocker to the spot.
  • Uses slip-rip for penetration into A-gap.
  • Locates ball-carriers quickly when two-gapping.
  • Hustles around the field looking to make a play.
  • Shows urgency in locating a pass blocker's edge.
  • Enough lower-body strength to plow through redirect blocks.
  • Above-average change of direction inside pocket.
Weaknesses
  • Length is below average.
  • Average explosiveness into the neutral zone.
  • Tendency to drop helmet into initial contact.
  • Not enough sand to withstand down blocks.
  • Average hand usage and shed quickness.
  • Rush energy bogs down when stiff punches find him.
  • Lack of length shows up in his rush.
  • Doesn't have go-to moves for quick-rush wins.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • blobid0
Last edited by Chongo
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

AGGRESSIVE, GAP-SHOOTING DEFENSIVE TACKLE with a nimble first step and bounding lateral burst; an interior pass rusher with untapped potential.

SCOUTING REPORT BY DANNY KELLY

Wyatt has a stout, wide frame and a quick first step. A former three-star prospect, he originally committed to Georgia but spent a year at Hutchinson Community College to get his grades up, earning the no. 3 JUCO defensive tackle ranking by 247Sports after one season there. He ended up back with the Bulldogs, where he established himself as a key cog in the defensive line, netting 12 tackles for a loss and 5.0 sacks in his four-year career. He put together his best season in 2021, tallying 27 quarterback pressures to go with 7.0 TFL, 2.5 sacks, and two forced fumbles

Wyatt is a former high school shot-putter who brings plenty of power to the interior defensive line. He lined up all over the formation for Georgia, getting looks at 3-technique, 1-technique, and a handful of other spots. He explodes out of his stance at the snap, shoots through gaps into the backfield, and he shows excellent lateral speed and agility, covering a lot of ground on stunts and line games. He has strong hands and a physical punch, shocking opponents at the snap before locking out his arms to keep them off his body and control the rep. He uses a forceful club move to work himself free from blockers. He has good athleticism and plays with a wide, balanced base. He closes ground on the quarterback quickly to flush them from the pocket, chopping his feet to change direction and avoid overrunning his target. Wyatt stacks and sheds against the run, keeping his eyes in the backfield to lock on to running backs. He has a quality push-pull move to get opponents lunging and off balance.

Wyatt can give ground at the point of attack, especially against double-teams. He gets a bit too upright at the snap, allowing opponents to get into his chest and push him off his spot. He doesn’t have high-end length and he needs to add more moves to his pass-rush tool set.

WHY HE COULD RISE

Wyatt combines power and explosive movement skills on the interior; he could be an impact interior pass rusher early in his career.

WHY HE COULD FALL

He lacks elite length and is still developing his pass-rush plan.

@packerboi posted:
Devonte Wyatt
Player Bio
Wyatt was a four-star prospect from Decatur, Georgia, when he signed with the Bulldogs. He went to Hutchinson Community College in 2017 (30 tackles, 4.5 for loss with three sacks) to improve his grades before heading to Athens. Wyatt played in 12 games as a reserve in 2018 (19 tackles, 1.5 sacks) and played in 13 games with one start in 2019 (30 tackles, 1.5 for loss). He became a regular starter in 2020 (25 tackles, two for loss in 10 games) and burst onto the scene as a first-team All-SEC selection to lead the Bulldogs' national title run in 2021 (39 tackles, seven for loss with 2.5 sacks, two forced fumbles in 14 starts). -- by Chad Reuter
Overview
Highly active defensive tackle with decent strength. Wyatt is made for movement and disruptions. He helped himself in 2021 with better tape both against the run and as a pass rusher. His lateral quickness is useful in beating zone blocks and in sliding across the front in a game-based pass rush. Wyatt has adequate strength but struggles to withstand a second blocker. The traits are average, but the effort is consistent and Wyatt should fit nicely as a rotational, gap-seeking three-technique with disruptive flashes.
Strengths
  • Initial punch lands with some pop.
  • Lateral quickness beats move-blocker to the spot.
  • Uses slip-rip for penetration into A-gap.
  • Locates ball-carriers quickly when two-gapping.
  • Hustles around the field looking to make a play.
  • Shows urgency in locating a pass blocker's edge.
  • Enough lower-body strength to plow through redirect blocks.
  • Above-average change of direction inside pocket.
Weaknesses
  • Length is below average.
  • Average explosiveness into the neutral zone.
  • Tendency to drop helmet into initial contact.
  • Not enough sand to withstand down blocks.
  • Average hand usage and shed quickness.
  • Rush energy bogs down when stiff punches find him.
  • Lack of length shows up in his rush.
  • Doesn't have go-to moves for quick-rush wins.

I'm all for the slip-rip for penetration into the A gap.

@Timmy! posted:

Surely you are sporting quite the chubby.
2 picks right down your alley!

I hope these guys give us what we needed. I do so love a dominating defense!

Fact is the defense the future post-Rodgers.  Rodgers also needs the help now.  He isn't winning shit by himself.

I can't imagine they don't pick up a WR in round 2 but if they keep adding solid players to defense I'm not going to complain.  What we saw last year was a fraction away from a legit, full time, steamroller defense.  I'm giddy just thinking about the possibilities of having a defense that is always fearsome and not just wistful pipe dream.

These motherfuckers on defense will be like Finnish farmers mowing down alpha tough guys.

Last edited by Henry

Wyatt is going to be a hell of a 3-Technique for us...will bring an inside pass rush we haven't had in years. My hat is off to Gutey for addressing what have been two of my biggest bitches about this defense...no athletic ILB, and reliance on Lancaster and Lowery inside.

Clark...Reed...Wyatt...P-Smiff...Gary...Campbell...Walker as the front 7...I may be walking around with a woody the rest of the day.

@lovepack posted:

This is great news.  Reed, Wyatt and Clark are infinitely better than last year. Walker, Campbell, Smith and Gary behind them with our secondary is looking solid. Day two will bring the playmakers.

I also think that today will bring the playmakers.  Would I have liked a WR playmaker sure and I think we will see that tonight.

Oh man do I like this pick.  You all know me and my bitching about the Packers defense for a good 10 years now.  Now I think I have legit hope we could be looking at a top 5 defense that will be physical, fast, and will knock you in the mouth.  I freaking love it.

@hof1991 posted:

There simply weren’t any WRs left with a first round value.  Or OL either.  Highly athletic big guys that have solid ceilings.  Both will see the field plenty as rookies.  

Rodgers, while on the Pat M show which was live last night, let it slip he was told the Packers had 6 WR's with a 1st round grade. Once they were gone, they moved on to the next guys on their board.

Rodgers was also getting texts in real time from MLF. Night and day from last year.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.