Skip to main content

@Boris posted:

I think I'm seeing the same folks hand-wringing over this pick that did the same with the Rashaan Gary pick.

Isn't that interesting ๐Ÿค”

I remember liking the Gary pick a lot. And I dont have a problem with this pick except we have a green as grass QB now that probably needs a little protection in case this thing goes to shit in terms of receivers and protection. Its a different time than then. We still had Super Bowl aspirations with AR at QB. Now we have aspirations to win a half dozen games and see progression in that Green as grass QB. And we now have Joe Barry as DC for at least another year. A defensive coordinator that makes Bob Slowik look like a genius. Packers are going to have to outscore opponents. This team is not going to stop anyone with him as the leader.

I would have preferred offense but we picked at the end of a run on OTs and 10 more picks before any WR went.  So value likely wasn't there for an offensive player.  Really can't argue with pass rusher as you can never have enough of them.  Guy seems to have what it takes to be a good NFL player, so seems like a solid pick. 

Will be interesting to see what Gute does with these 2 second rounders.  I'd think they'd both be offense but I think Gute is mostly a value drafter - just depends on what the board looks like. 

Lukas Van Ness was the right pick for the Packers

"Athletically, Van Ness is everything you can ask for. He needs to learn a few more pass-rush moves and be more comfortable in a two-point stance, but those are non-critical factors for a player who was a 220-pound high schooler who was focused just as much on hockey as he was on football just three years ago. The arrow is trending up and the Packers bought him โ€œlow.โ€ Had he stayed at Iowa for another season, earning enough tenure to actually record a โ€œstartโ€ with the Hawkeyes, he probably would have been a top-10 lock with the extra year of development.

Sound familiar? Thatโ€™s right, itโ€™s Rashan Gary all over again. Is he a finished product? No. Is he a good pick for the slot? Yes. Do you know whatโ€™s better than one Rashan Gary? Two."

Last edited by MI PACK
@KonKrete posted:

The Pats had brought him in on an official visit.   Movable DL piece that the mad genius likes.  Very good chance he would have been gone at 14, but don't let that stop pissypants from doing his tinkling.

It was a well known fact that the Pats really liked Van Ness and it is believed they were going to take him. It is likely no coincidence that they traded out of there when the Packers took Van Ness, but don't bother the clueless when they throw a sanctimonious fit because that's what they do best. Masters at throwing themselves to the ground and wailing anytime they don't understand something.

@Goalline posted:

It was a well known fact that the Pats really liked Van Ness and it is believed they were going to take him. It is likely no coincidence that they traded out of there when the Packers took Van Ness,

Now you know why Gutey wanted that swap with the Jets so bad.

These teams know where other teams have the players slotted.

I wanted Witherspoon or a good CB. One wasn't available so nothing wrong with Edge. Van Ness goes top 10 next year if he stays in college.

More on Van Ness.....oh BTW.... That's Cole Kmets sister that he's going out with. ๐Ÿ˜

https://firstsportz.com/nfl-luke-van-ness-girlfriend/

Screenshot_20230428-083927

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Screenshot_20230428-083927
Last edited by Boris
From the internet

"From Week 1-9 last season, the Packers ranked 2nd in percentage of pass-rush snaps resulting in a pressure. Rashan Gary tore his ACL in Week 9.

From Week 10-18, they ranked 28th. It makes sense why they took Iowa edge rusher Lukas Van Ness at No. 13"

Gute talked about this a bit in his presser - he said " we had to try all kinds of moves to manufacture more pass rush" and some of those moves made the Packers defense vulnerable in other areas.
Last edited by Satori
@Boris posted:

Now you know why Gutey wanted that swap with the Jets so bad.

These teams know where other teams have the players slotted.

I wanted Witherspoon or a good CB. One wasn't available so nothing wrong with Edge. Van Ness goes top 10 next year if he stays in college.

More on Van Ness.....oh BTW.... That's Cole Kmets sister that he's going out with. ๐Ÿ˜

https://firstsportz.com/nfl-luke-van-ness-girlfriend/

Screenshot_20230428-083927

I really liked Gonzales. Van Ness was my number 1 choice, but only because I didn't expect Gonzales to fall so far. He would have been my pick. Witherspoon would have been a perfect slot CB for us, but alas, he's going to Seattle.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.