Skip to main content

Anyone have any info on this guy’s camp? I’ve heard nothing about his guy, good or bad. The video above was an ok listen, but it’s nothing more than a 2+ minute fluff piece Q &A.

Is he gonna see any meaningful snaps on D outta the gate. Or will he have a season like year 1 Wyatt and Gary?

@PackLandVA posted:

Anyone have any info on this guy’s camp? I’ve heard nothing about his guy, good or bad. The video above was an ok listen, but it’s nothing more than a 2+ minute fluff piece Q &A.

Is he gonna see any meaningful snaps on D outta the gate. Or will he have a season like year 1 Wyatt and Gary?

To my untrained eyeball, he looks like a rookie.  He hasn't done anything great so far - lots to learn it seems.  But Gutey picked him eyes wide open to him being a raw prospect high on potential.  If we get lucky with injuries, he'll just be filling in to give guys a breather this season it looks like.

JMHO, PLVA...
I think it's more likely he will have a role closer to Gary in his first year.
From what I have seen in the PS games, it's easy to see why he was drafted, but his play is not quite ready for prime time.
Barring injuries, of course, he should see snaps (maybe 8-10) in a rotational role or perhaps a specific sub-package depending on game plan for opponent, and adjust from there as warranted.

So my question above is not to be critical of LVN. I am literally interested in getting some commentary about his play. And there has been nothing. Not in the news and nothing on X4 other than a couple of “Hey, how ya’ doing?” clips.

Any of you locals have any info to share from local TV or radio? Or anything you’ve seen in practices or in the two games? He is the teams #1 pick and there’s nothing about him here.

Last edited by PackLandVA

Found on the internet: Top pick Lukas Van Ness bounced back from a quiet preseason debut with a far more effective performance against the Patriots. He had a quarterback pressure and two stops over 17 snaps. His 75.8 overall defensive grade was the Packers’ sixth-best.

Larry highlighted his pursuit on one play in this video. Mike Wahle had some comments on what he likely can and can't do at this stage of his career (at 21:45). The general sense I get is he's a guy that came out a year early and still has a lot to work on (he's 22). For comparison when Clay came out he was 23 as was TJ Watt.

LVN' is 91's eventual replacement. Patience definetley required. Likely not going to dominate out the blocks. If he has 4-6 sacks this year it will be a great base to build on (Gary had 2 in his year 22). Guy has all the traits and MLF has praised his work ethic. This is a year he'll learn what not to do and grow from every mistake. He's seems like a smart enough guy that he'll refine and improve his technique. In their age 23 years Matthews (rookie) had 10 sacks, Gary (2nd year) had 5, and TJ Watt (rookie) had 7. This year is all about gaining experience for LVN.

Last edited by titmfatied

After nine games to start an NFL career, which First Round draft pick has a more compelling stat line:

Player A

Sacks - 1
Solo Tackles - 6
Assisted Tackles - 6
Combined - 12
Tackles for loss - 1
QB Hits - 2

Player B

Sacks - 1
Solo Tackles - 10
Assisted Tackles - 3
Combined - 13
Tackles for loss - 4
QB Hits - 2

That’s great.  But one of the major advantages of a 1st round pick is you should get starter level contributions for a controlled cost.   If those guys can contribute, you have money left over to plug holes via FA.  

We got 1.5 good seasons out of Gary and then had to break the bank.   I’d rather take an immediate contributor with less upside.  

From what I've seen from LVN, this past season, tells me that if he is in the opponent's backfield, he will make a play on the ball carrier/QB. He has the speed to run down the guy with the ball, no matter where that guy is. We need him to be in SF's backfield as much as possible on Saturday. GO PACK, GO!!!

Van Ness / Wyatt / Clark / Gary.

Who is the 5th rusher? Van Ness is going to get a master class from Trent Williams. I'll be shocked if VanNess beats him even once. But if he does....maybe he gets Trent's attention and has him on his heels and that stops Kyle from doing all that crazy shit.

Wyatt, Clark and Gary all need to be top notch for 60 minutes on Saturday Night. Fill the gaps, stop the run, get in that shrimps face

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.