Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Cousins will be their starting QB in 2023. 2024 is where all the bets are off.

Seattle and the Giants are going to get very interesting. Geno and Daniel Jones are both set to be free agents, and Seattle is in a very good position to replace him with a high draft pick, if they so choose.

Lamar Jackson is another one. Does Baltimore follow the escalation of QB contracts trend, or let him walk and try to find another guy while rolling with Huntley in likely mediocrity for a few years.

Does Dallas let Elliott walk? They can save $4 million in cap if they release him, or $13+ million next year. Pollard is a free agent when the season ends, as well.

@Herschel posted:

Cousins will be their starting QB in 2023. 2024 is where all the bets are off.

Seattle and the Giants are going to get very interesting. Geno and Daniel Jones are both set to be free agents, and Seattle is in a very good position to replace him with a high draft pick, if they so choose.

Lamar Jackson is another one. Does Baltimore follow the escalation of QB contracts trend, or let him walk and try to find another guy while rolling with Huntley in likely mediocrity for a few years.

Does Dallas let Elliott walk? They can save $4 million in cap if they release him, or $13+ million next year. Pollard is a free agent when the season ends, as well.

I'd let Lamar Jackson walk. I've always thought he faded when the lights were brightest. I don't think he'll ever be successful as a pure pocket passer and his injury shows that running QBs just don't last in the NFL.  Without that dimension, he's pretty ordinary.  Plus, he also showed this week that he can be an all-pro prima donna who can cause a lot of agita.

@Goalline posted:

Lamar Jackson will be in the booth with RG3 in 3 years. Even Cam Newton’s career was shortened by excessive running and he was 6’5” 250. Lamar is tiny.

Lamar needs to walk. He also did not make the trip with his team to Cincy, so that's a sure sign he's done. I think that was a huge red flag as well: him crying about not being out there with his guys and yet he can't make a simple trip to be with them on the sidelines. My guess is he might end up in Seattle, where the turf will really eat up his legs.

Geno was a revelation this year, but he's still Geno. He's a stop-gap at best; a backup more likely. Trey will most likely be with the Niners, but his role could be interesting. Purdy did well, but was it a flash-in-the-pan season or is he for real? Case Keenum had that one great year for MN, turned it into a decent contract with Denver, and then returned to his low level. So is Purdy a Keenum or better than that? That will be fun to watch in SF this offseason.

Last edited by Fandame
@Fandame posted:

That hit today may very well be flagged for leading with the helmet. I thought Newton was never the same after the Super Bowl when he played so poorly and didn't dive for the loose ball, and everyone got all over him for it. He lost every shred of his "Superman" persona after that with fans, with players, and with himself.

Heck, he tried to kick the loose football (a penalty) rather than try and grab it. Superman indeed. 

@Goalline posted:

Lamar Jackson will be in the booth with RG3 in 3 years. Even Cam Newton’s career was shortened by excessive running and he was 6’5” 250. Lamar is tiny.

That's the challenge with guys like Jackson, (probably) Fields, Kyler Murray, RG3, and other running QBs. They are probably worth upper-tier money on a year-by-year basis, but it's more important for them to get big guaranteed money than other guys because they know they have short shelf lives. The teams operate with those thoughts in negotiations and then either cave and regret it when the inevitable injury happens (Newton and Murray) or piss off their QB by not caving and have to trade them anyway (where Jackson is headed).

Of course, the Browns giving all that guaranteed money to DeShaun Watson is what's really affecting all of this.

@Fandame posted:

That hit today may very well be flagged for leading with the helmet. I thought Newton was never the same after the Super Bowl when he played so poorly and didn't dive for the loose ball, and everyone got all over him for it. He lost every shred of his "Superman" persona after that with fans, with players, and with himself.

That was my memory of his decline too. That weak play in the Super Bowl brought too many people around to the Scam Newton truth.

That's the challenge with guys like Jackson, (probably) Fields, Kyler Murray, RG3, and other running QBs. They are probably worth upper-tier money on a year-by-year basis, but it's more important for them to get big guaranteed money than other guys because they know they have short shelf lives. The teams operate with those thoughts in negotiations and then either cave and regret it when the inevitable injury happens (Newton and Murray) or piss off their QB by not caving and have to trade them anyway (where Jackson is headed).

Of course, the Browns giving all that guaranteed money to DeShaun Watson is what's really affecting all of this.

They could all learn from Russell Wilson. Know when to slide.

If he comes back, it’s because he’s chasing another ring.  Which means he’ll pick a front runner with a really good D, offensive weapons, and a soft division.  So the Niners make sense, maybe the Titans.  Not a chance he’d go to da Raiduhs as I don’t think he’d want to play KC, SD, and Den. Also don’t think he goes to Miami as he wouldn’t want to play that division either.  

@ammo posted:

No trades. He will be a free agent.  His contract also has a no tag clause, not that Tampa would use it.

That's true, ammo.
But he has a $35M dead cap hit for 2023, so Tampa has to deal with that somehow.

It may not be likely, but I was guessing Tampa could sign him to a contract, then make a trade for a draft pick (or more?)
I don't know if that is even feasible, so it's just a wild-ass guess.

And that was the point of my post; dubious writers using dubious "sources" to come with stories. Much like it is/was with Rodgers.

Last edited by Timmy!
@PackLandVA posted:

If he comes back, it’s because he’s chasing another ring.  Which means he’ll pick a front runner with a really good D, offensive weapons, and a soft division.  So the Niners make sense, maybe the Titans.  Not a chance he’d go to da Raiduhs as I don’t think he’d want to play KC, SD, and Den. Also don’t think he goes to Miami as he wouldn’t want to play that division either.  

Depending on how the rest of the postseason goes for Purdy, SF may not be interested.  Even if a lot of his success can be attributed to Shanahan, they'd have pretty good QB on the cheap for the next 4 years.

Anyone else see the sign in the crowd last weekend in SF:

BIG Male Fowl Fighting Cockrer Shot Malaysia Stock Photo 1139328656 | Shutterstock BROCK!

Maybe the sign of the year.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • blobid0

So Ravens GM Eric DeCosta said, "I truly believe Lamar wants to finish his career in Baltimore."    Jackson is only 26 years old.  So are they going to give him a 10-12 year contract or do they expect a shortened career  due to the type of player he is.    He hasn't finished the last 2 seasons due to injuries, does the Ravens FO expect that to magically change?

Lamar is one of the best (if not THE best) of the "running" QBs, but now he is paying the price for playing that 'style'. It ALWAYS happens, sooner or later. No matter how big/beefy ("able to withstand punishment") they may be.
See Tua, Hurts, maybe even Murray, in addition to Jackson, as more examples.

So they reach a point to where they have to depend more on passing, and that's when the downfall typically happens. In Lamar's case, he can throw some nice passes, but he can't consistently. And I don't know if he ever will.

But he/agent wants a D Watson-dollar contract, and that ain't happening. Hell, Watson isn't even worth his own contract!
Speaking of Murray, I think Jackson should get a deal closer to his numbers. He is also overpaid and not worth his contract, but Lamar is a better QB.
Teams, players, and agents have to agree that contracts like Watson's can't set the market value for future contracts. Just because one team is foolish beyond belief doesn't mean all other 31 teams will be.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.