Skip to main content

Unofficially, a week away. Let's track big signings, including key re-signs of players staying with their team vs hitting the open market.

Beginning Monday, March 11, at noon ET, teams are allowed to contact the certified agents of prospective unrestricted free agents to discuss terms and enter contract negotiations. This period runs for two days, until Wednesday, March 13 at 3:59:59 p.m, ET, the instant before the start of the new league year. Contracts cannot be officially executed until the start of the new league year.

When does NFL free agency start in 2024?

• Legal tampering period: March 11-13
  • Start of NFL free agency: 4 p.m. ET Wednesday, March 13

Last edited by Boris
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

And fuck the Chefs. No need for the rich to get richer. I am glad Evans is staying away from that team:

Pretty moronic tag line - "Evans now has a real chance to start and finish his career in Tampa as a Buc.  He'll be 32 at the end of this deal that pays him $26m per year. Zero chance he retires if he plays out both years. 

@packerboi posted:

And fuck the Chefs. No need for the rich to get richer. I am glad Evans is staying away from that team:

OBJ a top free agent WR?  He hasn't even been relevant since 2019 and he's 31 now.  

@Timmy! posted:

This is also the week where we can be assured that some teams (*cough*cough*Vikings*) are NOT 'tampering" with any players...

Always love the "3 day  Tampering window"  It's amazing these big complicated contracts get "worked out" 2 hours into the window!

Last edited by Packiderm

@RapSheet:  The #Broncos are moving on from QB Russell Wilson, closing a tough chapter for the team and allowing coach Sean Payton and Wilson to start fresh.

Wilson is available for a team needing a starter. Denver avoids an extra $37M fully guaranteed now.

@broncos: We’ve notified QB Russell Wilson that he will be released after the league year begins March 13.

Last edited by ilcuqui

@AndrewBrandt:  Broncos officially releasing Russell Wilson.
They were as all-in on him, between trade assets given up and contract, as any team was all-in on any player.
Now they're all-out.
$39M left over in cash.
$85M left over in Cap.
Will go down as one of worst contracts in NFL history.

@AlbertBreer: The cost to the @Broncos of Russell Wilson's two years.

• Draft picks: 9th, 40th, 145h picks in 2022; 5th, 37th picks in 2023.

• Players: Drew Lock, Noah Fant, Shelby Harris.

• Cash: $124.02 million.

Wilson went 11-19 as Denver's starter, with a 90.8 passer rating.

Last edited by ilcuqui
@ilcuqui posted:

@RapSheet:  The #Broncos are moving on from QB Russell Wilson, closing a tough chapter for the team and allowing coach Sean Payton and Wilson to start fresh.

Wilson is available for a team needing a starter. Denver avoids an extra $37M fully guaranteed now.

@broncos: We’ve notified QB Russell Wilson that he will be released after the league year begins March 13.

I can’t even imagine what that cap hit will look like. It has to be just brutal. It will have to go down as one of the biggest bust trades/deals  in NFL history.

@packerboi posted:

I can’t even imagine what that cap hit will look like. It has to be just brutal. It will have to go down as one of the biggest bust trades/deals  in NFL history.

Wait until Rodgers gets hurt in the 3rd play of the 2024 season.

@ilcuqui posted:

@AndrewBrandt:  Broncos officially releasing Russell Wilson.
They were as all-in on him, between trade assets given up and contract, as any team was all-in on any player.
Now they're all-out.
$39M left over in cash.
$85M left over in Cap.
Will go down as one of worst contracts in NFL history.

@AlbertBreer: The cost to the @Broncos of Russell Wilson's two years.

• Draft picks: 9th, 40th, 145h picks in 2022; 5th, 37th picks in 2023.

• Players: Drew Lock, Noah Fant, Shelby Harris.

• Cash: $124.02 million.

Wilson went 11-19 as Denver's starter, with a 90.8 passer rating.

Wilson was terrible in 2022 - but part of that was probably Nathaniel Hackett (who the Jets are stuck with for at least another year as the OC).

Wilson didn't play at a Pro Bowl level in 2023, but it's not like he was terrible. He threw 26 TDs against 8 interceptions. He had a QB rating of 98.0 and a total QBR of 50.7.

I see why you'd want to eventually improve, but why not hold onto him for another year? The Broncos were 7-8 in his starts last year but Wilson played fairly well in several losses. They lost Game 1 against the Raiders with Wilson having a QB rating of 108. They lost Game 2 to the Commanders when the defense gave up 35 points. In Game 3, Miami hung 70 on them. Wilson had to be exceptional for them to beat the Bears 31-28. And then in Week 5, the Broncos gave up 31 points the Jets (obviously without Rodgers) in a loss.

Wilson had two poor games all year - against the Chiefs in Arrowhead and at the Texans. If you take out those two games, he had 25 TDs and 3 interceptions for the year in the other 13 games. In the other 6 losses he had 11 TDs and 2 interceptions.

The Broncos have no first round pick and are in salary cap hell. It would have cost them 50 million less against the cap to keep Wilson this year than release. Who are they going to find that is anywhere near as competent? I get that he's not worth 50 million a year, but you've already paid him and now you probably have no chance of being competitive this year when he was probably good enough to get you to the playoffs.

I would love to see Sean Payton go about 4-13 this year.

I think it was the injury guarantee that caused the Broncos to release him. If he had waived the injury  guarantee and turned it into a smaller signing bonus he very well may be a Bronco when the new league started.

@Pikes Peak posted:

Link?  I missed that one. Would love to hear it.

He threw it out there in a segment with James Jones. I'd say probably sometime around the loss to Tommy Cutlets. Tried making it sound like a win for all parties concerned. It was noteworthy because he mentioned nothing about Cousins injury or whether he'd even be able to come back at the same level. "Love sucks, you can rent Cousins for a year while you draft another guy" type pitch.

It's a good bet Tit posted it somewhere as thorough as he is.

Wilson was terrible in 2022 - but part of that was probably Nathaniel Hackett (who the Jets are stuck with for at least another year as the OC).

Wilson didn't play at a Pro Bowl level in 2023, but it's not like he was terrible. He threw 26 TDs against 8 interceptions. He had a QB rating of 98.0 and a total QBR of 50.7.

I see why you'd want to eventually improve, but why not hold onto him for another year? The Broncos were 7-8 in his starts last year but Wilson played fairly well in several losses. They lost Game 1 against the Raiders with Wilson having a QB rating of 108. They lost Game 2 to the Commanders when the defense gave up 35 points. In Game 3, Miami hung 70 on them. Wilson had to be exceptional for them to beat the Bears 31-28. And then in Week 5, the Broncos gave up 31 points the Jets (obviously without Rodgers) in a loss.

Wilson had two poor games all year - against the Chiefs in Arrowhead and at the Texans. If you take out those two games, he had 25 TDs and 3 interceptions for the year in the other 13 games. In the other 6 losses he had 11 TDs and 2 interceptions.

The Broncos have no first round pick and are in salary cap hell. It would have cost them 50 million less against the cap to keep Wilson this year than release. Who are they going to find that is anywhere near as competent? I get that he's not worth 50 million a year, but you've already paid him and now you probably have no chance of being competitive this year when he was probably good enough to get you to the playoffs.

They are currently scheduled to have the #12 pick

@artis posted:

He threw it out there in a segment with James Jones. I'd say probably sometime around the loss to Tommy Cutlets. Tried making it sound like a win for all parties concerned. It was noteworthy because he mentioned nothing about Cousins injury or whether he'd even be able to come back at the same level. "Love sucks, you can rent Cousins for a year while you draft another guy" type pitch.

It's a good bet Tit posted it somewhere as thorough as he is.

I certainly not a fan of CC but do tune in a bit here and there, as I recall he pretty much dismissed Love mid season (as did some here) and after the renaissance later in the season he went all in on Love (as did most here). I missed the Cousins talk but it could have been  before CC boarded the Love Boat.

0-17 would not cause a tear to shed over here bro. Loved seeing the Jets beat the Broncos last year. More of that Broncos losing please

Happy Birthday Dude  at At 7:19 a.m, the Jaguars wished DT, Foley Fatukasi happy birthday. The six-season NFL veteran turned 29 on Monday.  Roughly 4 1/2 hours later, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported the Jags were releasing him.

@Pikes Peak posted:

They are currently scheduled to have the #12 pick

Didn't realize that.

Still probably too far back to get one of the top 4 QBs (Williams, Maye, Daniels, or McCarthy) and probably too high in the first to justify drafting someone like Penix.

broncos might have to trade vet players for draft picks during this garage sale if you know anybody who might be interested and has a lot of picks

Last edited by Satori
@skully posted:

Happy Birthday Dude  at At 7:19 a.m, the Jaguars wished DT, Foley Fatukasi happy birthday. The six-season NFL veteran turned 29 on Monday.  Roughly 4 1/2 hours later, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported the Jags were releasing him.

Sounds familiar!

@Pikes Peak posted:

I certainly not a fan of CC but do tune in a bit here and there, as I recall he pretty much dismissed Love mid season (as did some here) and after the renaissance later in the season he went all in on Love (as did most here). I missed the Cousins talk but it could have been  before CC boarded the Love Boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...dkDZlqv3g&t=607s

My bad, it was just prior to the Rams game. Starts at 7:15.

Last edited by artis

Would you write the check ?

MLF coached him in 2018. Henry missed some time that year, but still managed 1000 yds. He's closing in on 10,000 for his career and wants a shot at a Title

Derrick Henry

Derrick Lamar Henry Jr.  (Tractorcito or The King)
6-3, 247lb

Born:  January 4, 1994 in Yulee, FL   Age: 30-060d

Spotrac says his market value is $10.3 M per year, he will have many suitors

https://www.pro-football-refer...ayers/H/HenrDe00.htm

@skully posted:

Are the Broncos are on the hook for Wilsons 39 million this coming season ?

His dead cap hit will be 85 million. 🤣🤣🤣  That’s more than double the second or third place for dead cap money.

Russ is gone because his play didn't match the guarantees that were coming in his contract. If he's on the roster on the 5th day of the 2024 league year, then his 2025 salary is fully guaranteed ($37m). So deciding to go with him in 2024 means he's your QB in 2025. That couldn't happen so Broncos had to cut him.

I watched him pay enough in 2023 to know he's just an average QB now. Just like Payton made Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater, and Taysom Hill look like competent QBs, he made Russ look ok.  But it was smoke and mirrors - dump offs combined with jump balls to Cortland Sutton. Nothing over the middle of the field, running into sacks, and an inability to go through his progressions.  No rhythm to the offense at all. And his athleticism is fading so he can't just run out of the pocket and make plays like he did in Seattle. He could occasionally but it's not enough anymore.

Russ drank his own Kool-Aid, surrounded himself with "yes men", and didn't let any criticism into his life. Could have stayed in Seattle and punched his ticket to Canton but instead pushed his way out and tanked his legacy. He's got more of a Donovan McNabb or Cam Newton career now. Russ just happened to have an all-time great defense that got him a Super Bowl.

Last edited by CUPackFan
@packerboi posted:

LOL agree. I honestly forgot he was even in the league last year.

Honestly I also forgot about him.  I looked up his stats and he has not been anything since 2018 and 2019.  Good receiver who made a lot of money with that insane catch with the Giants on MNF.

85M dead money cap hit for Wilson?  I would hate to be the Broncos cap manager.

@Satori posted:

Would you write the check ?

MLF coached him in 2018. Henry missed some time that year, but still managed 1000 yds. He's closing in on 10,000 for his career and wants a shot at a Title

Derrick Henry

Derrick Lamar Henry Jr.  (Tractorcito or The King)
6-3, 247lb

Born:  January 4, 1994 in Yulee, FL   Age: 30-060d

Spotrac says his market value is $10.3 M per year, he will have many suitors

https://www.pro-football-refer...ayers/H/HenrDe00.htm

I will defer my opinion until I hear from Slowline

@Iowacheese posted:

I will defer my opinion until I hear from Slowline

Never say never! But, Henry's cap hit may be an impediment to him becoming a Packer--and I don't even know what his cap hit is. Why not keep AJ Dillon, instead? Dillon knows the system. Who knows what Gute will do? He has said he is looking at every option to improve this team. So, maybe???

Last edited by mrtundra

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.