Skip to main content

@Shadow posted:

Interesting that the majority of the ex-Packer butt-hurts join the Vikings. Good way to kill the last few years of ones career.

I really can't blame AJ if he was butthurt. He's already taken multiple pay cuts and was a key reason for the success of the team last year. Not to mention being a great leader and locker room guy. It's a business but I hate this move on the surface.

@Iowacheese posted:

ROTTT turning in his grave GUTTT making some all in moves.

This post and the recent FA signings had me thinking.  Not to bag on Gute in any way but to look back at TT's roster building history.  Before the health issues gutted his talents, just looking at the 2010 roster as a SB watermark.

That SB winning team had a total of 3 starters that were not drafted by GB.  Ryan Pickett, Charles Woodson and Tramon Williams. Tramon wasn't drafted but was picked up shortly after, and extremely raw.  Charlie Peprah was a boomerang that GB drafted, went on to play in ATL for a year then came back in 2010.   Think of all the talent on that team and the fact they were all (but 3) drafted by TT. To name a few:

Rodgers*, Nelson*, Jennings*, Driver*, Jones, Jackson, Starks, Sitton*, Wells*, Clifton*, Bulaga, Matthews*, Shields*, Raji*, Jenkins, Hawk*, Bishop, Collins*, Crosby. (*pro bowl at some point in their career)

It's bananas.  Like a truck load of bananas.

I wonder if any other SB champ had fewer starters not drafted by their team.  Maybe there were pre-FA era.

Last edited by DH13
@tsr86free posted:

I don’t understand Minnesota signing 33. Sounds like he gave them a discount as well. They are not going to be contenders this year, no matter what they may think.

No way he gave them a discount. It’s his last ride, clearly not looking for a ring, it’s all about the Benjamin’s at this point

My guess is his options were not as grand as Rosenweasel was portraying them to be. SHOCKER!

If this was his best option, he really didn't have many. Best of luck to him, but fuck you for going to the Vajinas. Bert move.

It looks like he went to the Vikings for 7 million after the Packers offered him 6.

https://packerswire.usatoday.c...-deal-with-vikings/#

So, he was going after every last dollar this time around.

If he wanted to stay in GB, he'd have taken home about 600K less after taxes this year.

If he wanted to win, I'm sure he could have taken 4-5 million and played for another contender. Dallas and Houston would have been good fits close to where he grew up.

Instead, he'll end his career taking handoffs from Sam Darnold, probably having 2-3 good games, and then tweaking a hamstring again (or worse playing on that artificial turf in Minnesota).

Jones spent his first seven seasons in Green Bay. After a failed attempt to negotiate a pay cut, the Packers released Jones and signed Josh Jacobs as his replacement to start free agency.

Per The Athletic, the Packers wanted to slash Jones’ $12 million salary in 2024 by half. If $6 million was around the team’s asking point, Jones ended up getting roughly $1 million more to be in Minnesota.

It looks like he went to the Vikings for 7 million after the Packers offered him 6.

https://packerswire.usatoday.c...-deal-with-vikings/#

So, he was going after every last dollar this time around.

If he wanted to stay in GB, he'd have taken home about 600K less after taxes this year.

If he wanted to win, I'm sure he could have taken 4-5 million and played for another contender. Dallas and Houston would have been good fits close to where he grew up.

Instead, he'll end his career taking handoffs from Sam Darnold, probably having 2-3 good games, and then tweaking a hamstring again (or worse playing on that artificial turf in Minnesota).

Jones spent his first seven seasons in Green Bay. After a failed attempt to negotiate a pay cut, the Packers released Jones and signed Josh Jacobs as his replacement to start free agency.

Per The Athletic, the Packers wanted to slash Jones’ $12 million salary in 2024 by half. If $6 million was around the team’s asking point, Jones ended up getting roughly $1 million more to be in Minnesota.

It's Jones' way of giving the middle finger to Gutey and Ball.

Jones is one of my favorite Packers ever.  But now I must quote Paulie in Good fellas "now I turn my back to you"

I get it its a business but I will treat him just like the other Packers that have gone over to the spermheads.

If I’m Jones, what’s that million dollars worth to you?   You are leaving a team and city that adored you and unlike the Vikings the Packers are poised to take the next step forward in 2024.

As for the million bucks, as someone that’s lived in the Twin Cities and in NE Wisconsin it’s basically a wash.  The cost of living is significantly higher in the TWC.  Your dollar goes a lot further in GB.  

JJ became one of my favorite players and I understand it’s a business but something tells me he’s going to regret this move.  Very rarely has a GBP player moved on to Minnesota and played as good if not better than their time in GB.

@ilcuqui posted:

@TomPelissero: The #Vikings are releasing veteran DL Dean Lowry, per source.

Got to think this is the end for the Kirk Cousins of DTs, and that may be unkind to Kirk.

Nobody made more $ for doing less at his position than Deano.

Was nice to see him contribute so little in Minnesota last season after all those seasons of being right in the middle of woeful Packer run defenses.

@Tschmack posted:

If I’m Jones, what’s that million dollars worth to you?   You are leaving a team and city that adored you and unlike the Vikings the Packers are poised to take the next step forward in 2024.

As for the million bucks, as someone that’s lived in the Twin Cities and in NE Wisconsin it’s basically a wash.  The cost of living is significantly higher in the TWC.  Your dollar goes a lot further in GB.  

JJ became one of my favorite players and I understand it’s a business but something tells me he’s going to regret this move.  Very rarely has a GBP player moved on to Minnesota and played as good if not better than their time in GB.

As you say the cost of living difference probably takes 100K off that million dollar increase. As I said earlier in the thread, he'll probably pay 400K in taxes on that million as well.

Then, he has to move his stuff (at least from his season residence) from Green Bay to the Twin Cities which probably costs another 20K.

Rosenhaus will get a cut for negotiating the new contract, so lop off another 100K.

He's not going to get any playoff money there, and each playoff game is 50K, so he's losing that 50K he's much more likely to get from GB (or someone else).

In the end, he'll probably take home maybe 300K. He'd have probably made that up over the next 4-5 years just in endorsements in Wisconsin had he stayed.

No kidding.  I'm not going to fault anyone for wanting 1/7 more salary.  If my place of employment asks me to take a pay cut at my job, I'm certainly looking elsewhere and would give them the middle finger on my way out too.  A million dollars is a lot of money.  He did what's best for him, I have no problem with that.   On the flip side, I also have no problem with what Gute did.  I'm sure he's as sick of watching our RBs get stoned on 4th and 1 as the rest of us.   Regardless of what our ex-Complicated Fella said, it's not "all about the people."  Sure, I don't want my favorite team to have the reputation of being a bunch of a-holes to its staff, but in the end?  It's ALL about the wins. 

@SteveLuke posted:

Got to think this is the end for the Kirk Cousins of DTs, and that may be unkind to Kirk.

Nobody made more $ for doing less at his position than Deano.

Was nice to see him contribute so little in Minnesota last season after all those seasons of being right in the middle of woeful Packer run defenses.

Kirk is a lot better QB than Dean Lowry is a DT. Of course, the problem isn't that Kirk isn't a good QB (he's going to end his career in the top 20 in yards, TDs, and QB rating). It's just that he's being paid like Mahomes to play like Jared Goff for about a decade. Kirk shouldn't make the minimum, but he's not a HOF either.

Lowry is a minimum salary guy that you can replace with a practice squad player on a week's notice.

Except it’s not a million dollars.  If he’s buying a house or condo it’s double the cost there versus in GB area, relatively speaking.  Taxes are a bit higher.  Insurance costs are higher. Basically everything is more expensive there.

It’s optics.  Rosenhaus can claim he got him 1M more but in the end it doesn’t mean anything.  It surely doesn’t mean (real value) a million more.

Last edited by Tschmack

Plus now he has to listen to that Goddamn horn for 8 or 9 games. That is if he is healthy.  If he struggles he could be a healthy scratch by seasons end.

And in the end he will sign a 1 day contract and retire as a Packer.

Last edited by ammo

I love how everyone is faulting Jones for taking the extra million but not Gute for trying to squeeze 1 million from the best locker room veteran since Donald Driver.  Who also performed like a stud in the crucial months of the season and has taken team friendly deals in the past.

Bad move by Gute IMO.

Last edited by BrainDed

How do we know it’s a bad move?  

It’s the NFL.  He has an agent, who isn’t exactly the easiest guy to work with BTW.  The Packers offered him a deal to stay and JJ decided he wanted to go to Minnesota instead.

I wish him the best but he’s a Viking now.  

@BrainDed posted:

I love how everyone is faulting Jones for taking the extra million but not Gute for trying to squeeze 1 million from the best locker room veteran since Donald Driver.  Who also performed like a stud in the crucial months of the season and has taken team friendly deals in the past.

Bad move by Gute IMO.

He is old and he has started to miss an awful lot of games. Not like they didn't replace him with a younger talent.

That whole locker room presence thing is overblown, IMO. You mean to tell me all those guys were performing because Aaron Jones was nice to them? I would think they were performing because they want to win and they want to make millions.

We don't know if it's a good or bad move, but this place is here to share opinions.  So I did.

I'm sure that there is a master plan that we're not aware of with the budget.   A number they are working on with Love and some of the other guys coming up for an extension so that has to be considered.   

That said, this squad was 1 game away from the NFCC game and Jones was a huge part of that on the field and in the locker room and we are only talking about 1 million dollar difference between what was offered and accepted.   Match the fucking offer and squeeze someone else for 1 million.

@BrainDed posted:

Bad move by Gute IMO.

I don't really blame either one of them. The outcome is in both of their self-interests. Aaron Jones isn't likely to find a job paying even 6 figures a year after he's done in the NFL. Even if he ends up taking home an extra 500K after taxes and agent's fees, that's still a lot of money.

Gute is doing what he thinks is in the best interests of the Packers to win. There is a finite amount of money to spend with the salary cap. Jones is a great locker room guy and has been a great Packer, but if you take the emotion out of this, Jones turns 30 this year and was dinged up a lot the last year.

It was detrimental to the Packers when they held onto Driver for about 2 years too long. The Packers signed Driver to an extension that covered 2010-2012 and he made about 6 million a year during that period (they did renegotiate his 2012 number down to 2.3 million dollar hit instead of 6 million. He was OK in 2010, but then completely washed up in 2011-12. The salary cap is a little over double what it was back then. The 2011 team lost in the playoffs for several reasons (Nick Collins' injury, Clements' son dying the week of the Giants playoff game), but don't overlook the fact they were paying Donald Driver the equivalent of about 14 million a year in 2024 salary cap dollars to be a #4 WR and get 37 catches for 12 yards a catch (and take snaps away from a young, dynamic Randall Cobb). Maybe that 14 million could have been used to shore up other areas of the team and might have made a difference? He couldn't contribute on special teams at that point. In 2012, Driver ended up making 5 million in today's dollars to catch 8 passes. Maybe they could have used that money to help sign a LB/DE to hold the edge on Kaepernik during that playoff game?

Maybe Jones will be great next year, but with the salary cap you are better off moving on a year early than a year late.

@Goalline posted:

He is old and he has started to miss an awful lot of games. Not like they didn't replace him with a younger talent.

That whole locker room presence thing is overblown, IMO. You mean to tell me all those guys were performing because Aaron Jones was nice to them? I would think they were performing because they want to win and they want to make millions.

If Love is what he appeared to be the last half of the year, their contention window of at least being a playoff team is about 10 years.

The optimal window for Super Bowl contention without reloading is the next 2 years. It's great that Watson, Wicks, Reed, Doubs, Musgrave, Kraft, and Melton all look like guys that continue to grow into players that could be considered for Pro Bowls. The looming problem is they make a COMBINED 12 million dollars next year. All of those guys are eventually going to want to get paid and that is completely justified. None of them make more than 2.5 million (Watson) and Doubs, Wicks, and Melton make less than 3 million combined.

When they come off their rookie contracts, they are going to want to negotiate new contracts with some stats to support big raises. I think things will be fine this year because most of them will still be in the stage of proving they can actually be starting NFL players (last year, most of them weren't even sure they could stick in the league long-term). But that's not going to last. They start (with their agents whispering in their ears) looking at getting 10, 15, or 20 million a year extensions and that starts to cause some issues.

Whether Aaron Jones is there or not isn't going to alter that dynamic.

Maybe Jones will be great next year, but with the salary cap you are better off moving on a year early than a year late.

That right there.....is why. Vince Lombardi coined that phrase back in the '60s.... Long before there was any such salary cap

Last edited by Boris

Ideally, they would have found a way to keep Aaron Jones.  But it didn’t happen.  They got a decent replacement in Josh Jacobs, although being different styles.  Jacobs is more of a traditional power back, and he is about 4 years younger than Jones.

Aaron Jones was a dynamic player for the Packers, when healthy.  But he only played 1/3 of the snaps last year.   I don’t think he’s designed to get better or healthier at age 30.

@BrainDed posted:

We don't know if it's a good or bad move, but this place is here to share opinions.  So I did.

I'm sure that there is a master plan that we're not aware of with the budget.   A number they are working on with Love and some of the other guys coming up for an extension so that has to be considered.   

That said, this squad was 1 game away from the NFCC game and Jones was a huge part of that on the field and in the locker room and we are only talking about 1 million dollar difference between what was offered and accepted.   Match the fucking offer and squeeze someone else for 1 million.

So he had a great last five games.   Maybe if he had been on the field and played during the 4 game losing streak the Packers would have had home field instead of the Whiners.  You have to look at it that way too.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.