Skip to main content

Yes. Collins broke out in his 4th year and had almost as many interceptions that year (7) as McKinney has in his 4 full seasons.

McKinney ran a 4.63 40 at the combine and was even worse in the 10 and 20 years short-burst tests.

https://ras.football/2020/02/07/xavier-mckinney-ras/

He was also the same size as Collins (actually Collins was a little heavier), but Collins ran a 4.36 40.

As Tschmack says, the questions isn't whether he's going to be Nick Collins (I don't think there is any way he will be close), but whether he's 10 million dollars better than what they could have signed Savage for. It's possible he is, but he's shown no evidence of being a game-breaking, big-play guy in the mold of Ed Reed or Minkah Fitzpatrick.

As long as he isn't Ha Ha Clinton Dix redux I'm good with this signing.

@DurangoDoug posted:

Jones is not coming back after "testing" FA. If you read the comments on Packers.com from Gutey and MLF about his release sounds like he's gone for good.

He wouldn't redo his contract, that's what did it.

@Boris posted:

He's shown no signs of that at all

Nope.

He was the highest graded safety in coverage in all of football last year. A passer rating of 52 for QB's going against him.

His 88.7 PFF rating was top 4 in the NFL. Only guys higher were Winfield Jr, Jesse Bates, and Holland who got even bigger contracts.

He's only 24. Repeat, just 24

Worth the click...

Xavier McKinney Highlights 🔥- Welcome to the Green Bay Packers (youtube.com)

I loved Aaron Jones as a Packer, and he was a very good back. But, if you are going to pay 10-12 million for a RB these days, it has to be a guy that is a true game breaker. Jones was in some games, but too often in the playoffs he wasn't. His fumble against the Bucs in the 2020 playoffs was right up there with Kevin King's issues in terms of why they lost that game. He was caught from behind deep in Niners territory in two 49er playoff games after he broke into the clear. In both cases, if he takes those to the house, the Packers probably win those games as well.

Remember this? At least get out of bounds? Packers missed a FG two plays later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2PymJK5QJQ

Or this (start at the 40 second mark)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cuzqw_okd4

Or this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qUG4BFFrqM

And he was money down the stretch this year. It's a negative to not have him back this year regardless of what Jacobs can bring. I know tough decisions must be made, but Jones was important to the offense in too many intangible ways to not feel it in 2024. It feels a lot like the Jamaal Williams release. Maybe it had to be done but it sure is a bummer after the way this team finished the season.

I hate the business side of football. That's why Gutey makes the big bucks.

In other news

Last edited by Boris
@packerboi posted:

His 88.7 PFF rating was top 4 in the NFL. Only guys higher were Winfield Jr, Jesse Bates, and Holland who got even bigger contracts.

He's only 24. Repeat, just 24

Worth the click...

Xavier McKinney Highlights 🔥- Welcome to the Green Bay Packers (youtube.com)

If Xavier is even top 10 this upcoming season, it's a GIGANTIC upgrade at the Safety position.

Last edited by Boris
@Boris posted:

If Xavier is even top 10 this upcoming season, it's a GIGANTIC upgrade at the Safety position.

In contrast, Savage was a 66 in PFF rating and he was the Packers best safety last year.

Mckinney fits the role of the centerfield safety with terrific closing speed and side-to-side cover skills that Hafley coveted. Xavier also can track the ball well in the air, something Savage couldn’t do well.

He will also allow CBs to play differently and looser because now GB has a safety that won’t get burned and get past the WR.

This is a game changer for the entire defense  

@Boris posted:

It would be hard to downgrade the safety position.

Well, they could put two of us x4 posters out there at safety.  I think that would be a downgrade.

Like Sterling Sharpe, Nick Collins was a freak of nature athlete.  Or Charles Woodson.  Perhaps Julius Peppers or Reggie White earlier in their careers.

That ain’t McKinney folks.  Not even close.

Still, he seems assignment sure and has really good instincts.  Which basically puts him top of list immediately for what we’ve seen at safety the last decade or so.

Leroy Butler is still the gold standard for football IQ in that defensive backfield in my lifetime and he was an average to above average athlete.

Last edited by Tschmack
@Boris posted:

Um...that didn't exactly end well.

@packerboi posted:

In contrast, Savage was a 66 in PFF rating and he was the Packers best safety last year.

Mckinney fits the role of the centerfield safety with terrific closing speed and side-to-side cover skills that Hafley coveted. Xavier also can track the ball well in the air, something Savage couldn’t do well.

He will also allow CBs to play differently and looser because now GB has a safety that won’t get burned and get past the WR.

This is a game changer for the entire defense  

Plus, he can catch!

@lovepack posted:

Plus, he can catch!

...and more importantly tackle!

Of McKinney's 1,128 snaps in 2023, 464 came at free safety, 388 came in the box and 167 came in the slot. Of 74 safeties who played 500 snaps, McKinney ranked fourth in missed-tackle percentage (seven misses; 5.7 percent) and sixth in passer rating (52.1)

Compared to Savage:

According to PFF, Savage had 12 misses for a missed-tackle rate of 18.5 percent. Of the 95 safeties to play 300 regular-season snaps on defense, his missed-tackle rate ranked 85th and fell right in line with his career mark of 17.6 percent. PFF charged him with 13-of-16 passing for only 113 yards; his 23.1 coverage snaps per reception ranking 39th.

Last edited by mr21mr21
@Tschmack posted:

Like Sterling Sharpe, Nick Collins was a freak of nature athlete.  Or Charles Woodson.  Perhaps Julius Peppers or Reggie White earlier in their careers.

That ain’t McKinney folks.  Not even close.

Still, he seems assignment sure and has really good instincts.  Which basically puts him top of list immediately for what we’ve seen at safety the last decade or so.

Leroy Butler is still the gold standard for football IQ in that defensive backfield in my lifetime and he was an average to above average athlete.

Simmons might be the closest thing to a Woodson or Nick Collins that I've seen recently. But McKinney is a vg move, I believe. If he can grow into a leader in that unit, there's a lot of potential that has previously been kind of wasted or underachieved. We've been witness to high picks like HHCD and Savage who flashed maybe once every 4-5 games yet could be exposed in a bad way. The bit of stability they had in recent years came from guys like Amos, who was short-lived and dropped off a cliff but at his best was a very steady presence. Idk if McKinney could be that guy, but even if he can it won't happen immediately. I think some type of vet presence at safety should still be on the table if the situation fits and the price is right.

@artis posted:

I think some type of vet presence at safety should still be on the table if the situation fits and the price is right.

There should be some decent options once the initial FA flurry dies down. I'm hoping Gute signs a veteran "box safety", drafts another one, and re-signs Rudy Ford for the #5 safety/core ST position. Along with AJJ this would be a major upgrade over last season.

Gutey has balls of steel. All business, without an ounce of emotion. I guess that's what we need to keep us moving forward and competitive even if we part with fan favorites.

Trade Davante Adams

Trade Aaron Rodgers

Cut Aaron Jones

Yet minutes away from conference championship with leagues youngest roster

Let the man cook. Guten free recipe...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.