Skip to main content

@H5 posted:

In the past 5 seasons Jones played 17 games once.

Jones started and finished the season with hamstring injuries, with a knee in between. Emotion says bring Jones back at $8m, business says bring him back at $5m.

I get your point,  he has played a full season schedule twice in his career, be it 16 or 17 games. The 17 game season has been in existence for 3 years I think.

Last edited by Pikes Peak

Chargers are 25 million over the cap today and have to make cuts to get under it. Joey Bosa, Khalil Mack, Keenan Allen and Mike Williams are possible cuts or some combination of them. They cannot trade any of them because trades cannot happen until after the league year starts and they have to be under the cap when the league year begins. Tough spot Chargers are in. Do Packers want any of their guys?

@Floridarob posted:

Chargers are 25 million over the cap today and have to make cuts to get under it. Joey Bosa, Khalil Mack, Keenan Allen and Mike Williams are possible cuts or some combination of them. They cannot trade any of them because trades cannot happen until after the league year starts and they have to be under the cap when the league year begins. Tough spot Chargers are in. Do Packers want any of their guys?

If I'm Mike Williams, my agent is probably already looking into my next options.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/cap/

The Chargers save 23 million in cap space this year by cutting Allen. He's going to be 32, but he was very productive last year.

Williams turns 30 this year and played in 3 games last year and wasn't particularly good in 2022 when he did play. They clear 20 million in cap space by moving on.

Khalil Mack had 17 sacks last year and is future HOF guy. You don't move on from that.

Bosa has played 14 combined games the last two years and you save 14 million by cutting him. He might also be gone.

Yup

That got the Chargers under the cap

Jimmy G. is about to release as well. Is there any job in the world where you get paid more to be average than an NFL QB?

https://nypost.com/2024/03/13/...ing-gardner-minshew/

Career earnings (including new guaranteed money).

Kirk Cousins 330 million

Russell Wilson 306 million

DeShaun Watson 280 million

Kyler Murray 250 million

Derek Carr 190 million

Jimmy Garoppolo 149 million

Andy Dalton 107 million

Daniel Jones 107 million

Baker Mayfield 105 million

Sam Darnold 75 million

Jameis Winston 75 million

Jacoby Brisset 58 million

Geno Smith 53 million

Mitch Trubisky 48 million

Brock Purdy 2.8 million

Lol. Who was the best corner my ass for the Packers last year. 2023 season.  The offices of Ballentine and Vallentine could make a case I guess. CV did get away with a few. Which I greatly appreciate .

@TschmackShitsmak posted:

The Nixon signing is really stupid at that price.  Who is his agent?  Maybe he should be NFL Commish or head the NFL players Union.

Best corner my ass.  He was Owens and Ford and Savage more often than vintage Jaire.  Check your eye sight if you think differently.

Who was better last year, Magoo?

@Brak posted:

He was arguably our best corner last year.

Ooh, downvote.  Happy Thanksgiving, Coach Tittle!

17 games in the slot.  What Packer CB was better than Nixon last year?

Last edited by Brak

Jaire Alexander is and always was the best corner on this roster.  And he will be in 2024 as well.  Or 2025.

Nixon actually got worse this year as a corner and returner.   Check your eyes people.

@Goalline posted:

Arguing with yourself again?

I don't even know how to insult you.  Congo is in the middle. the Cape and South Africa are down south, Egypt is up there somewhere.  Ethiopia is where it all started.

@Tschmack posted:

Jaire Alexander is and always was the best corner on this roster.  And he will be in 2024 as well.  Or 2025.

Nixon actually got worse this year as a corner and returner.   Check your eyes people.

Like your eyes that told us how jordan love was not a good qb without giving him a full season  and packers needed to lose all the games they could so they could draft someone else.   those eyes? I'll pass. Last game they played Nixon had a 75 yard return. Not bad by my eyes....

@Brak posted:

So Alexander was better than Nixon last year?

Physician, heal thyself.  Prove it.  Not fucking close.

You'll never again be in the first chair, that's for fucking sure.

Now I’m offended.🤣

The best CB in GB last year got traded.

Last edited by Goalline
@Brak posted:

Waiting.  Make the case.

Well let's see, don't have access to "advanced stats" but .... pff grade was 59. Targeted 78 times and allowed 63 receptions with one Int.....which I am sure translates into a very high passer rating.

Alexander - although the lowest pff of his career, it was still a 70

Ballentine - grade of 60 , 48 targets , 28 receptions

Valentine - grade 0f 57, 61 targets , 35 receptions

Douglas - grade of 82, 72 targets , 43 receptions.

So when we started Douglas & Alexander, Nixon was definitely the weak link. Not as clear when Valentine & Ballentine played.

Nixon to me plays more like a box safety than a CB. Strong, aggressive, but seems to blow his share of assignments and at only 5'10 with short arms and not a very good vertical, has trouble with TEs.

Someone put bew batteries in Brak?

Fuck PFF grades. Eye-ball test... Nixon was most consistent. Valentine was best most often.

Looking at the continued youth movement in GB, Rasul wasn't going to be in GB this year. $7m cap number (final yr of contract) and cheaper contributions available.

@FLPACKER posted:

Well let's see, don't have access to "advanced stats" but .... pff grade was 59. Targeted 78 times and allowed 63 receptions with one Int.....which I am sure translates into a very high passer rating.

Alexander - although the lowest pff of his career, it was still a 70

Ballentine - grade of 60 , 48 targets , 28 receptions

Valentine - grade 0f 57, 61 targets , 35 receptions

Douglas - grade of 82, 72 targets , 43 receptions.

So when we started Douglas & Alexander, Nixon was definitely the weak link. Not as clear when Valentine & Ballentine played.

Nixon to me plays more like a box safety than a CB. Strong, aggressive, but seems to blow his share of assignments and at only 5'10 with short arms and not a very good vertical, has trouble with TEs.

If the return rules change to allow more return opportunies, Nixon becomes a lot more valuable.

While he'll never be confused with a shutdown corner at any point, the fact you can use his as a DB and he's at least competent adds some additional value to just being a kick returner. If he has to start and cover Justin Jefferson you are in trouble. If he's your 7th DB (or even your dime guy), you are decent shape.

If he was just a DB, someone would probably sign to a contract worth a little more than the league minimum.

His contract is reported to be for 3 years and 18 million. Even without knowing the structure that probably inflates the 6 million a year to make the agent look good, if you look at it as about 2.5 million to play DB and 3.5 million to return kicks, it doesn't look too bad in terms of value.

@H5 posted:

Someone put bew batteries in Brak?

Fuck PFF grades. Eye-ball test... Nixon was most consistent. Valentine was best most often.

Looking at the continued youth movement in GB, Rasul wasn't going to be in GB this year. $7m cap number (final yr of contract) and cheaper contributions available.

PFF grades are not nothing, but they aren't everything.

Fanboy media guys like Bukowski and Herman put WAYYYYY too much stock in all that DVOA crap. They treat football like the sabermetrics guys treat baseball. Overtime, sabermetrics has shown a lot of value...but it's not the ultimate predictor of success. In fact teams that rely on it too much don't ever reach the upper levels of success. Joe Maddon talks about it in his latest book.

I look at my team, the SF Giants. They saw their greatest franchise success under Brian Sabean and Bruce Bochy...two old school guys who relied more on their guts than data. 3 titles in 5 years. Boch went on to win another one in Texas.

They bring in a Billy Bean saber-nerd Farhan Zaidi, whose baseball playing experience is Little League...and as a result their farm system as well as the product on the field has taken a sharp decline. He will point to the 2021 season when they won 107 games as the standard...and they were out in the NLDS. In his 5 years at the helm, that season was the outlier by far.

I am a big fan of RAS as a good gauge for who the Packers will take in the draft. Under Gutey, that has become a solid measure of guys that fit into their mold. I doubt they actually use RAS, they probably have their own proprietary formulas for that. But it gives draft nerds like me another tool to use.

PFF Sucks… they tell all these players and coaches that they’re so much smarter and they have ways of figuring things out that are so superior… I’ve sat in a meeting room with coaches and put the coaches grades and PFF grades side by side and it’s not even remotely close” -  JJ Watt

Last edited by H5
@Brak posted:

I'll never understand trading Douglas.

Nobody liked it....but the return was excellent (3rd round pick) and Gutey did it when the team was 2-5. That told the entire locker room, "I'm watching and nobody is safe"

Look at Jaire in the Ram game. That is most of what you will see this year from Jaire. Watch and see. He is CLEARLY the Packers best CB even if he may not have been for the entirety of 2023.

@H5 posted:

Gutey playing chess while everyone else looks on playing checkers

@Boris posted:

Nobody liked it....but the return was excellent (3rd round pick) and Gutey did it when the team was 2-5. That told the entire locker room, "I'm watching and nobody is safe"

Except Joe Barry for the rest of last season.

@H5 posted:

PFF Sucks… they tell all these players and coaches that they’re so much smarter and they have ways of figuring things out that are so superior… I’ve sat in a meeting room with coaches and put the coaches grades and PFF grades side by side and it’s not even remotely close” -  JJ Watt

Coaches come and coaches go, but the staff at PFF remain. JJ may need to reassess who's doing the sucking.

Jaire hasn’t played as well since his shoulder injury, but prior to that he was regarded as a top 3 cover guy in the league.  It’s not his fault that idiot Joe Barry didn’t take full advantage of his press coverage skills, nor it is Jaire’s fault he wasn’t completely healthy.  

I’m pleased with the two younger corners in Valentine and Ballantine and Nixon is OK but jury is out on Stokes so if I’m GB there’s a good chance they take a corner in the first couple of rounds.  You can never have enough decent cover guys.  

Last edited by Tschmack

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.