Skip to main content

@Goalline posted:

Well, I think I understand it but I also disagree with it.

Gute didn't go looking to move Rasul, the desperate Bills came calling and were initially rebuffed. Then they came back with a better offer. At that point Gute looked at his draft board, saw viable options to replace Rasul in round 2- 4 and took the pick, knowing GB was unlikely to re-sign him in FA

If you look at the players-for-picks trades, good players with only 1 year left on contract typically get traded for peanuts.

A 3rd is pretty good compensation. The other players that were moved for a 2024  3rd were TJ Hockenson, CB Carlton Davis and DE Chase Young and the Falcons got a 3rd for Calvin Ridley.

I don't love the idea either, but the execution and results were favorable when looking at comps.

@Satori posted:

Gute didn't go looking to move Rasul, the desperate Bills came calling and were initially rebuffed. Then they came back with a better offer. At that point Gute looked at his draft board, saw viable options to replace Rasul in round 2- 4 and took the pick, knowing GB was unlikely to re-sign him in FA

If you look at the players-for-picks trades, good players with only 1 year left on contract typically get traded for peanuts.

A 3rd is pretty good compensation. The other players that were moved for a 2024  3rd were TJ Hockenson, CB Carlton Davis and DE Chase Young and the Falcons got a 3rd for Calvin Ridley.

I don't love the idea either, but the execution and results were favorable when looking at comps.

LIke I said, I understand what he is doing and he may just hit a home run with it, but I would rather they(we, IC?) have kept Rasul. I think he was worth more to GB than a 3rd.

The Rasul trade made a ton of sense at the time. Packers were 2-5 after losing 3 very winnable games against the Raiders, Broncos, and Vikings, arguably the easiest stretch of their schedule. And at 2-5 with what looked like 2 sure losses to the Chiefs and Lions coming up, I don't blame Gute for assuming the season was lost. 

Sometimes you do the right thing and ends up being wrong.  Yes it'd be nice to have Douglas now.  But last October, it made more sense to get a 3rd round pick in what looked like a lost season. It's part of the reason why there is talk about pushing the trade deadline back - it's too early that GMs have to make a decision on how the season is going to go after just 7 games. 

@Satori posted:

https://twitter.com/mjhurleytd...uEOhakChprkcCoJNnFrQ

Rumors of Packer discussions with Micah Hyde, allegedly. maybe. sort of

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/bu...-12440/market-value/

market value = $3.7M/yr per spotrac

I like Hyde and wouldn't mind him coming back IF (big if) there's a role for him on the team (does he pair well with McKinney, can he help develop any draft picks or the depth guys, etc.).
However, I would tread VERY carefully considering he has had a couple of serious neck injuries in the last 2 years, and his age is a concern.
And speaking of age, signing him would seem to go against the youth movement trend the Packers are having.

Well this just breaks my heart....how about you all??

I keep hearing how 49'ers are still CLEARLY the best team in the NFC. Season hasn't started yet but I like where this is headed

A friend of mine was listening to sports radio here in Madison and he told me that the Pack and Micah Hyde are talking. Take it with a grain of salt at this point. That station AM 1070

@Boris posted:

Clearly drafting QB first. Way to tip your hand

Unless DaBears can draft both Williams and Maye at #1 I think they are safe

Philly trades a cheesesteak for Kenny Pickett (3rd for a Pittsburgh 4th, and throw in two 2025 7s) so is it official NOBODY wants Justin Fields?

I suppose Pittsburgh could drop a moldy hotdog and have Fields back up Wilson.

Last edited by Herschel

Guess no Bakhtiari to the Jets.

@RapSheet:  Source: The #Jets are expected to sign former #Cowboys All-Pro and Pro Bowl LT Tyron Smith, a new blindside protector for Aaron Rodgers.

Have to wonder if Gutekunst is signaling to Love and his representation that if you don't try for an inordinate percentage of the salary cap we'll invest up and down the roster in chasing rings. It was an option they never had during 12's reign. The agent seems to be shooting for the moon with every negotiation this cycle and 10 has been more than patient waiting for his opportunity to strike gold. He has every right to ask for every penny the Packers can muster.

It's interesting how much 10 wants to negotiate for is going to affect the near term horizon of the franchise. Grab as much as he can (he has every right to do it) and the pressure will be through the roof on him for every result on the field. The more he leaves on the table for his team mates the more grace he gives himself as a leader sacrificing for the team. He has some monumental decisions to make about setting the tone for how every young player on the team is going to look at their second contract opportunities. It's harder to push for max value if the QB decides to be generous.

There's a lot of opportunities this season, but there's also an avalanche of pressure coming. If last year was a free pass, the hype is going to be off the charts in the lead up to this season. The talking heads are always looking for the predictions they can hang their hat on.

Hope everyone in 1265 is preparing for a magical run. This is a season that gets defined by how they handle outside noise. If everything comes up cherries, the GMs of the bottom feeders of the league are chasing after and throwing money at the Packer's coaches and front office staff to keep their owners happy and their own salaries secure.

Great post tit, but here is the thing.  Other GMs don't have to chase Packer coaches and front office staff.  They only have to adopt the Packer Way which will never happen.  They have that greedy impatient owner behind them.   Gutey never has to worry about that with me!!   As an owner I don't care if it takes 2-3 years to get that next Lombardi.  Jerry Jones would never admit to that.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.