Skip to main content

@packerboi posted:

I don’t wanna over hype any signing and look like a Homer, but GB just signed damn near the equivalent of Nick Collins at age 24 in McKinney.

Yes, he’s that f’in good. Wow.

Super pumped about X

And even more pumped to have a new DC to put him to good use.

@michiganjoe posted:

That's a big contract. Kid is still only 24. WOW!

@SteveLuke posted:

Aaron Jones was a lot of fun to watch for a lot of years.

His stretch of games to end the 2023 season were among his very best.

That said, I understand the 30 year-old RB wall is a real phenomenon.

However, the GM said Aaron was definitely going to be on the team during a recent press conference, so it is not like Aaron's age was that big a deal at that point.

What changed? Likely the $.

I hope, but do not feel very confident, that with the Jacobs signing the RB position is as good in 2024 as it was in 2023.

I guess RB just became a draft priority.

I'd look for the top guy in this draft if he's available or won't cost too much to move up for.

@FLPACKER posted:

Just hate losing Jones, made a huge difference to our offense. If we get the 2022 Jacobs it is a good move, if we get the 2023 version, it is a bad move.

To complement our(WE? )  passing game we ain't getting 2023 Jacobs with the Raiders crappy offense.

@michiganjoe posted:

... The Eagles fans all cry.  🖕🏼

This free agent signing made so much sense it had to happen

@Boris posted:

... The Eagles fans all cry.  🖕🏼

This free agent signing made so much sense it had to happen

There are times when you have to pull the trigger, something Alec Baldwin can tell you about.

@TomPelissero:  Compensation update: The #Packers are signing two-time Pro Bowl RB Josh Jacobs to a four-year, $48 million deal, sources tell me and @RapSheet.

This makes it pretty obvious that the Packers weren’t signing Jacobs to team with Jones in the backfield. Gute clearly views this as an upgrade.

Last edited by ilcuqui
@ilcuqui posted:

@TomPelissero:  Compensation update: The #Packers are signing two-time Pro Bowl RB Josh Jacobs to a four-year, $48 million deal, sources tell me and @RapSheet.

The Devil is always in the details. It’s being reported that’s it’s 12mil guaranteed. That’s it. 12 mil.

@The Heckler posted:

I have this feeling Jones will sign with the Cowboys.   It sucks but I go get it why the Packers are doing this.  He is almost 30 and has been banged up recently. But,  he means so much to the Packers offense when he is out there.

I expect Gute to use a draft pick in rounds 2 or 3 on a RB.

I loved Aaron Jones as a Packer, and he was a very good back. But, if you are going to pay 10-12 million for a RB these days, it has to be a guy that is a true game breaker. Jones was in some games, but too often in the playoffs he wasn't. His fumble against the Bucs in the 2020 playoffs was right up there with Kevin King's issues in terms of why they lost that game. He was caught from behind deep in Niners territory in two 49er playoff games after he broke into the clear. In both cases, if he takes those to the house, the Packers probably win those games as well.

Remember this? At least get out of bounds? Packers missed a FG two plays later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2PymJK5QJQ

Or this (start at the 40 second mark)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cuzqw_okd4

Or this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qUG4BFFrqM

@ilcuqui posted:

This makes it pretty obvious that the Packers weren’t signing Jacobs to team with Jones in the backfield. Gute clearly views this as an upgrade.

That's a massive contract for a RB.

@SteveLuke posted:

Aaron Jones was a lot of fun to watch for a lot of years.

His stretch of games to end the 2023 season were among his very best.

That said, I understand the 30 year-old RB wall is a real phenomenon.

However, the GM said Aaron was definitely going to be on the team during a recent press conference, so it is not like Aaron's age was that big a deal at that point.

What changed? Likely the $.

I hope, but do not feel very confident, that with the Jacobs signing the RB position is as good in 2024 as it was in 2023.

I guess RB just became a draft priority.

Rosenhaus probably knows he can get him more money from someone else than the Packers were offering him on the restructure offer.

We'll probably never know, but he was offered 5 million and could get 10 million from someone else, you can't blame him for leaving.

I think some team will overpay him and he'll get hurt after about 5 games.

Of course, going to Dallas might be the best thing for him. MM always refused to give him enough carries even when Jones was a younger Packer.

@Chongo posted:

Until it's not...all contracts escalate as the salary cap goes up. $5M a year for a RB was considered astronomical not that long ago.

We also need to see what the actual guaranteed money is. 4 years and 48 million can be very different depending on the contract structure.

@michiganjoe posted:

So, effectively, the Packers traded Jon Runyan and 7 million of additional cap space for Xavier McKinney.

Please don’t compare McKinney to Nick Collins.  

Collins well on was on his way to becoming an elite safety.  Perhaps HOF type safety.   He’s a big reason they made it to and won the 2010 Super Bowl.  

I really like McKinney and he should be an immediate upgrade but we need to pump the brakes on some of the comparisons.  

Last edited by Tschmack
@Tschmack posted:

Please don’t compare McKinney to Nick Collins.  

Collins well on was on his way to becoming an elite safety.  Perhaps HOF type safety.   He’s a big reason they made it to and won the 2010 Super Bowl.  

I really like McKinney and he should be an immediate upgrade but we need to pump the brakes on some of the comparisons.  

Yes. Collins broke out in his 4th year and had almost as many interceptions that year (7) as McKinney has in his 4 full seasons.

McKinney ran a 4.63 40 at the combine and was even worse in the 10 and 20 years short-burst tests.

https://ras.football/2020/02/07/xavier-mckinney-ras/

He was also the same size as Collins (actually Collins was a little heavier), but Collins ran a 4.36 40.

As Tschmack says, the questions isn't whether he's going to be Nick Collins (I don't think there is any way he will be close), but whether he's 10 million dollars better than what they could have signed Savage for. It's possible he is, but he's shown no evidence of being a game-breaking, big-play guy in the mold of Ed Reed or Minkah Fitzpatrick.

@Chongo posted:

Until it's not...all contracts escalate as the salary cap goes up. $5M a year for a RB was considered astronomical not that long ago.

It will also depend on his performance. If he averages 1600 total yards per season no one will blink an eye.

McKinney ran a 4.63 40 at the combine and was even worse in the 10 and 20 years short-burst tests.

Football speed is what it is all about.

But I am interested in those 10 and 20 years short-burst tests.

Last edited by D J

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.