Skip to main content

@CUPackFan posted:

Russ is gone because his play didn't match the guarantees that were coming in his contract. If he's on the roster on the 5th day of the 2024 league year, then his 2025 salary is fully guaranteed ($37m). So deciding to go with him in 2024 means he's your QB in 2025. That couldn't happen so Broncos had to cut him.

I watched him pay enough in 2023 to know he's just an average QB now. Just like Payton made Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater, and Taysom Hill look like competent QBs, he made Russ look ok.  But it was smoke and mirrors - dump offs combined with jump balls to Cortland Sutton. Nothing over the middle of the field, running into sacks, and an inability to go through his progressions.  No rhythm to the offense at all. And his athleticism is fading so he can't just run out of the pocket and make plays like he did in Seattle. He could occasionally but it's not enough anymore.

Russ drank his own Kool-Aid, surrounded himself with "yes men", and didn't let any criticism into his life. Could have stayed in Seattle and punched his ticket to Canton but instead pushed his way out and tanked his legacy. He's got more of a Donovan McNabb or Cam Newton career now. Russ just happened to have an all-time great defense that got him a Super Bowl.

I'm hoping the vikings are looking for a veteran QB, like Russ. Kark is most likely gone, and the purple back-up QBs do not inspire any confidence, in anyone. Bet they draft Penix or Nix and cut a couple of those back ups and get a veteran to back up Penix/Nix, or whomever. IMO, Russ's career took a step in the wrong direction on that game where he passed the ball, instead of handing it off to Beast Mode, on that goal line play. That play got Carroll up to 5 packs of gum, per game. Strongest jaws in the NFL.

@DH13 posted:

$85M in dead cap this year?  Do they have to replace half their roster with minimum salary guys?

Kind of makes you wonder how some of these owners became Billionaires.

@skully posted:

Not a single one of them got there managing a football team.

Not sure how the Broncos will field a team this year. $85M is 1/3 of teams' salary cap.
I know it's ancient history, but I find this very ironic, not to mention hilarious, for a team that cheated the cap.

@skully posted:

In the case of the Broncos, the husband of the couple that own the team married the right person. The wife managed to have the right grandfather.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Penner

A lot of them inherited money or the team. Some of them are terrible owners (Woody Johnson, the Bears, Bidwell, Davis, etc.). A few are good (Rooneys, Maras).

But some of the least successful owners are guys that made their own money ((former owner) Dan Snyder, David Tepper, Khan, Blank.

The common trait for poor owners (or really anyone in any business) usually is that they think their success/luck in one area (or the ability to be born to the right parents) makes them an expert in every area and they hire a bunch of yes man because anyone that questions them must be wrong.

Packers and Runyan not ready to divorce just yet.

https://packerswire.usatoday.c...eturning-to-packers/

JRJ really likes it in GB, he knows how good he's got it there per his recent interview. His Dad being a former player and part of the NFLPA likely offers him some big picture insight

Packers need an IOL who can play both guards and center and if they can agree on a price, that's nice vet depth for GB.
GB saves $3.5M by dumping Royce Newman

This would be a big get for Gute and a nice toy for Hafley:

Per Ian Rapp:
The #Giants will not use a tag -- franchise or transition -- on S Xavier McKinney, per me and @MikeGarafolo. He'll be a free agent.

Last edited by packerboi
@CUPackFan posted:

Russ is gone because his play didn't match the guarantees that were coming in his contract. If he's on the roster on the 5th day of the 2024 league year, then his 2025 salary is fully guaranteed ($37m). So deciding to go with him in 2024 means he's your QB in 2025. That couldn't happen so Broncos had to cut him.

I watched him pay enough in 2023 to know he's just an average QB now. Just like Payton made Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater, and Taysom Hill look like competent QBs, he made Russ look ok.  But it was smoke and mirrors - dump offs combined with jump balls to Cortland Sutton. Nothing over the middle of the field, running into sacks, and an inability to go through his progressions.  No rhythm to the offense at all. And his athleticism is fading so he can't just run out of the pocket and make plays like he did in Seattle. He could occasionally but it's not enough anymore.

Russ drank his own Kool-Aid, surrounded himself with "yes men", and didn't let any criticism into his life. Could have stayed in Seattle and punched his ticket to Canton but instead pushed his way out and tanked his legacy. He's got more of a Donovan McNabb or Cam Newton career now. Russ just happened to have an all-time great defense that got him a Super Bowl.

May be an image of record player and text that says 'Russell Wilson in free agency OFF DOES NOT WOR BUT COULD DE FUN TO FIXI'

@packerboi posted:

Per Ian Rapp:
The #Giants will not use a tag -- franchise or transition -- on S Xavier McKinney, per me and @MikeGarafolo. He'll be a free agent.

🤔 - Cap casualty due to Danny "Making Rhymes and dropping dimes" Jones??

@DH13 posted:

Jamal Adams?

Heavens no. He was washed before the Jets unloaded him to Seattle. Plus even at his best he was basically a linebacker playing safety with poor coverage skills. Now there was an absolutely terrible trade by the Seahawks.

@Boris posted:

Owning a football team is a hobby for these Billionaires. It also gets them notoriety.

What do all men with power want??

More power.....

That ... and a hummer at a sketchy strip mall massage parlor.

@packerboi posted:

Per Ian Rapp:

McKinney is represented by agent David Mulugheta, who took safety Landon Collins from the Giants to Washington on a record-setting contract in 2019 and subsequently has negotiated three of the current eight-biggest contracts for safeties – all ranging from $14.7 million to $19.1 million per year, per spotrac.com.

If Giants used Transition Tag it would amount to just under $14M ($13.8M)

From my main man, Packerraymond talking about Safety Xavier McKinney:

"Looks like Derrick Ansley would've coached/recruited McKinney at Bama in 2017 as well."

Derrick Ainsley is Packers new DB coach

Last edited by Satori
@skully posted:

Well, it's "dead money" right? In terms of real money, they're saving (what they can of that) from a bad contract. Basic sunk cost situation. The cap situation will blow over in a couple of years and if they are making good roster decisions in the meantime, they'll be competitive before you know it, and if not, they'll suck. Just like anyone else.

Devon White had an amazing playoff run when the Bucs won the Super Bowl but he's been kind of like Quay Walker - super fast and athletic but not great at actually playing football.  And he played next to one of the best (and most underrated) ILBs in the league - Lavonte David.  No doubt that covered up a lot of White's issues.

And Queen.....you have to ask the question - if he's so good, then why did the Ravens trade for Roquan Smith and give him a ton of money, just to let Queen walk? Because Queen isn't that good, that's why.

@Boris posted:

Jerome Baker LB
Pretty athletic LB coming out of Ohio State in 2018
6'1 225lbs, 3rd round pick

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jerome-baker

https://overthecap.com/player/jerome-baker/6958

From Zach Kruse:

LB Jerome Baker: Roster need meets familiarity, again. Baker is still only 27 years old and previously played under former Dolphins linebackers coach and current Packers linebackers coach Anthony Campanile in Miami. While a little undersized, Baker tested like an elite athlete coming out of Ohio State in 2018 (RAS of 9.26) and would be terrific as a run-and-hit linebacker next to Quay Walker in the Packer’s new 4-3 base defense.
Signing a player like Baker might be dependent on the Packers parting ways with De’Vondre Campbell, which isn’t a guarantee. For Baker, re-joining Campanile — who helped develop him over the last few seasons — makes a lot of sense in Green Bay.

One reason Baker is available is that he and the Dolphins couldn't agree on $$ going forward

Last edited by Satori
@PackLandVA posted:

Bills gonna cut loose Rasul, making him a free agent. Maybe he comes back?

I’m not sure I want Rasul back as a corner.  I know he’s a great locker room guy, but on the outside I think he’s slowed down. If he’s open to the idea of safety, I’m good with that. IMHO.  

Don’t think Buffalo is going to release Rasul. Reports are today that the Bills are restructuring his contract to save approximately $2.5 mil against the 2024 cap. Plus Buffalo has just released two other long-term starters in their secondary today (S Jordan Poyer and CB Tre’Davious White)

Chargers are dumping cap like crazy this week, was surprised to see how productive Khalil Mack was at his advanced age.
OverTheCap put his valuation at $33M / yr at 33 years old. 17 sacks, 33 QB hits and 5 forced fumbles. I could see the bears looking into a re-union

https://overthecap.com/player/khalil-mack/2944

@ilcuqui posted:

Plus Buffalo has just released two other long-term starters in their secondary today (S Jordan Poyer and CB Tre’Davious White)

WTAF?!?? 🤯🤯🤯

That's the guy TT was going to draft. Buffalo snagged him and TT traded down and took Kevin King.

He's only 29. Packers are going to have options for their secondary

Last edited by Boris
@Satori posted:

Chargers are dumping cap like crazy this week, was surprised to see how productive Khalil Mack was at his advanced age.
OverTheCap put his valuation at $33M / yr at 33 years old. 17 sacks, 33 QB hits and 5 forced fumbles. I could see the bears looking into a re-union

https://overthecap.com/player/khalil-mack/2944

Apparently doesn’t bother playing the run anymore.

@Boris posted:

WTAF?!?? 🤯🤯🤯

That's the guy TT was going to draft. Buffalo snagged him and TT traded down and took Kevin King.

He's only 29. Packers are going to have options for their secondary

He's damaged goods. Has blown out ACL and Achilles last two years.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.