Skip to main content

Thought I'd make a catch-all for some of the things going on around the league for non-Packers/non-NFC Central.

Bryce Young benched; the Red Rocket named the starter in Week 3 going forward.

Isaiah Pacheco has a fractured fibula; will go to IR.

Cooper Kupp injured his ankle and was walking in a boot after the game. Rams WR corp is thin right now with Nakua also out.

Jermaine Johnson, Jets DE, looks to have a significant injury, possible a torn achillies.

โ€ฆโ€ฆjust tune it out.

Last edited by PackLandVA
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@PackLandVA posted:

Here's a shocker: Deebo Samuel will miss multiple weeks per HC Shanahan due to a calf issue. They're great when healthy, but between him and CMC, you might get just about a full season worth of games.

We will see how good Brock Purdy actually is now. The whole offense is built around the mismatches that CMC and Samuel provide. Their skills force the defense to keep the same personnel in the game on all downs. CMC may be the best receiving RB in football, and Samuel might be the best WR at running the ball in the NFL. Aiyuk and Kittle are good, but a lot of their stats are based on getting mismatches and single coverage because CMC and Samuel are on the field.

@Timmy! posted:

Buckner had a negative x-ray result and was diagnosed with a sprain.
MRI to follow. Update

@mrtundra posted:

I thought he really did some damage to his ankle/foot, just by the way it was all twisted around underneath him, on that play.

Before you know it, the Athletic Trainer (AT) will just kiss it and tell him to get out there.  A little nicer version of Lombardi's "you have to play with those injuries" mantra.  Then I could be the AT - who needs a degree to do that? 

I did a google search and it came up with red rifle most often.

Thinking about it, a rocket can leave the stadium, not to mention the country, in some cases.  A rifle can shoot across the field - so it makes sense.

In Carolina who the exact QB is ain't the problem.  I suspect it goes deeper than that.

The biggest problem is that David Tepper is one of the biggest a-holes to own a team in NFL history, and that's saying a lot. He's starting to make Dan Snyder look poised and competent.

Also, his "trophy" wife - a term used by the Panthers own approved PR team, apparently played a significant role in the decision to draft Bryce Young. Somehow, this article has not been taken offline.

https://www.carolinacatchronic...-the-panthers-future

As of now, all signs point towards the Panthers selecting Bryce Young #1 overall in the 2023 NFL Draft. I've even documented Mrs. Teppers meeting Bryce Young and how strongly encouraging the interaction was. During a  โ€œC3 Friday Night Free-for-All,โ€ I've also stated how Mrs. Tepper's involvement has seemingly diverted the river of failure for the Panthers. I genuinely believe Nicole Tepper has played a more prominent role in this epic off-season than any of us will ever know. Her compassion and interpretation of Keep Pounding will lift the Panthers in these upcoming seasons.

Another problem is that while Bryce Young was at Alabama, he was throwing passes to Jameson Williams, John Metchie, Jaylen Waddle, and DeVonte Smith. Not to mention handing the ball off to Brian Robinson Jr. and Najee Harris. And dropping back behind a line with 3 first round picks and a few other draft choices on it.

Mac Jones threw for 41 TDs and 4 interceptions his last year with the Tide right before Young became the starting QB, so it's possible both Mac Jones and Bryce Young were overrated because of who they were surrounded with.

But, I don't think Bryce Young (or Mac Jones) are terrible NFL QBs. They aren't stars, but put them in place of Brock Purdy the last two years in SF and they probably look pretty good too.

Last edited by MichiganPacker2
@PackLandVA posted:

Bryce Young benched; the Red Rocket named the starter in Week 3 going forward.

With Darnold, Mayfield, and Fields looking like legit starting QBs, I really hope the media will finally realize how much the situation affects a rookie QBs development. I'd guess only 2 QBs drafted since 1998 would have succeeded no matter where they ended up - Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck. Every other QB I could have seen be a bust if they landed in the wrong spot. Even guys like Brady, Rodgers, and Mahomes could have been busts if they ended up in Cleveland or NY Jets.

Everyone is hammering on Young but almost no QB would have succeeded in that organization. The Panthers are a disaster - owner is arguably the worst in pro sports. Zero consistency with the coaching staff. And zero talent around him. Best thing for Young is to ride the bench this year and next and get cut in 2026. Then he can go be a backup for the Packers, Steelers, Ravens, 49ers, etc. and actually learn how to play QB in a functional organization. Then maybe in 2028 he'll get a real shot. He'll only be 27 so still a young QB. Or maybe he just sucks. I don't know. Just find it hard to believe so many scouts missed on his on-field play. I never saw him as the #1 pick due to his size but I don't remember any scouts saying he shouldn't have been a top 10 pick. Busts like him have kind of been reserved for head cases like Leaf and Russell.

Last edited by CUPackFan

Especially now when he has 167 million more incentives to keep playing. I think he keeps some of the signing bonus from his contract if he retires, but he'd lose over 100 million dollars if he steps away now.

The Dolphins are really screwed. If he retires before next year they have 83 million in dead cap hit in 2025.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pl...47598/tua-tagovailoa

This one will be very interesting. If Tua retires, who decides if it's due to injury? If Tua trots out his own neurologist who says he should retire, his retirement would be due to injury and he keeps the signing bonus ($42m) and injury guarantees (which I think are $74m). If that happens, would the Dolphins/NFL really fight it? That's a really bad look for the league. And pretty sure teams take out insurance policies for injury guarantees so unsure if the Dolphins are out all that money anyways. Likely more of a cap issue which doesn't really matter since they don't have a franchise QB anymore - they'll bottom out anyway and taking a $100m cap hit just expedites it.

Last edited by CUPackFan
@CUPackFan posted:

Everyone is hammering on Young but almost no QB would have succeeded in that organization. The Panthers are a disaster - owner is arguably the worst in pro sports. Zero consistency with the coaching staff. And zero talent around him. Best thing for Young is to ride the bench this year and next and get cut in 2026. Then he can go be a backup for the Packers, Steelers, Ravens, 49ers, etc. and actually learn how to play QB in a functional organization. Then maybe in 2028 he'll get a real shot. He'll only be 27 so still a young QB. Or maybe he just sucks. I don't know. Just find it hard to believe so many scouts missed on his on-field play. I never saw him as the #1 pick due to his size but I don't remember any scouts saying he shouldn't have been a top 10 pick. Busts like him have kind of been reserved for head cases like Leaf and Russell.

I think the Panthers made the right decision to sit him. It was clear he's not developed enough to be a starter on a team with too many other warts.
I think it was wrong to make him the starter in the first place, and I hope they acknowledged that.
In the end, I hope it's beneficial for him.

FWIW, I think the headlines screaming that he's been "benched" are unfair.
While technically true, there's a lot more involved in that decision.
That's why I hope their coach takes the lead and shoulders the blame, as far as the media is concerned.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.