Skip to main content

Re: DJ Smith

Would it make more sense that they are clearing cap space than roster space at this moment in time ?

Top 51 salaries count in the offseason and you can have up to 90 guys on the list

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/138820739.html

Saine and DJ Smith accounted for about $ 1 million in salary combined

Maybe they want it for Rodgers' deal

... or maybe they are thinking about a player trade on draft day.
(pure speculation) LT Brandon Albert from the Chiefs ?
Paging Ted Thompson: John Dorsey is on line one Cool
It has the look of a possible draft day trade. Why make these moves today? Saine I get. TT might have his eye on an ILB he views as an upgrade over Smith on Saturday but there's no reason to make that move today.

When I first saw the news I immediately thought Karlos Dansby and flip Hawk to Buffalo for a 6th or 7th. Maybe Hawks restructure was simply to get his contract to trade-able.

Then again I don't like Hawk and think Dansby is an instant upgrade for the same money.
Interested to see what is happening. Easy to understand Saine. He just wasn't good enough. To me Smith was released either due to injury, not being good enough, or not working hard enough to come back. If you listen to NFL ubertalenet evaluators on this site one would think that Smith was doing great. Hawk is still here, Jones was signed, and he is out. I just thought he looked short out there.

With regard to Benson, all that stuff was known last year and they still signed him. I think #12 liked him despite all that other stuff as well. I'm just confused why I don't remember see this characterization of him last year.
quote:
Originally posted by Fandame:
Little surprised they dumped Smith. I thought he showed flashes of good stuff, and if nothing else would have been added depth. Wonder who TT has on the radar or if he thinks Bishop will come back that strong.

Oops. Saw that Smith also had a knee injury last year. GB doesn't say he failed his physical, but maybe that's it...
D.J. Smith stank like hot trash last year, he constantly over-pursued and got knocked on his ass. Brad Jones was a big upgrade over him last year, and we all know that Brad Jones isn't a good player either.
quote:
Originally posted by ChilliJon:
Don't get the comparison. Wagner was the 47th guy selected in 2012 in Rd 2. DJ Smith was 186th in Rd 6 in 2011. So yeah, DJ was a swinging for the fences pick. Decent player that looked like a serviceable backup. Hope his knee is ok and he lands somewhere.

By every measure, Wagner was a reach at 47...not just my opinion. And it worked out. The comparison was a small school, undersized guy.
"Brian Urlacher expressed his desire to play for a contender and suggested he could play in a 3-4 defense"

Id like to see TT to bring Urlacher in for a workout. he wants to get a shot
at a SB so he might be hungrier and play for less. plus, it would be great to
see him wear the green n gold into Soldier Field. probably have him for less than 2m
quote:
Originally posted by Grave Digger:
Some disagree, but I wouldn't mind seeing Urlacher in GB. He's lost a step definitely, but he's still big, strong, and has that veteran savvy that younger players just don't have.

Some ? He's toast ! Can't believe you'd consider a guy who isn't even good enough to be a bear for cripes sake.

You've been spending WAY too much time on your mocks, go outside and get some fresh air before its too late.

Seriously, this is a cry for help if I've ever seen one... Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Satori:
quote:
Originally posted by Grave Digger:
Some disagree, but I wouldn't mind seeing Urlacher in GB. He's lost a step definitely, but he's still big, strong, and has that veteran savvy that younger players just don't have.

Some ? He's toast ! Can't believe you'd consider a guy who isn't even good enough to be a bear for cripes sake.

You've been spending WAY too much time on your mocks, go outside and get some fresh air before its too late.

Seriously, this is a cry for help if I've ever seen one... Big Grin

Thank you for some frickin' sense.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.