Skip to main content

quote:

Hard to say the Packers wouldn't have faired better against the 49ers if Alex Smith kept his job the entire year.

The Packers sure have had some weird scenarios with opposing QBs in the playoffs

GB knocked out Kolb to start the season, then faced Vick in the playoffs

Alex Smith gets a concussion, so GB faces Kapernick in the playoffs

GB hits Ponder to end the season, then faces Webb in the playoffs

GB knocks out Cutler in the playoffs, then finishes vs Hanie
Packers had an RFA in for a visit on Wednesday

Big guy from the Steelers, Steve McClendon NT/DT, (undrafted FA in 2009)

Steelers gave him the lowest tender, so no picks required if GB lures him away; just straight cash homey
quote:
@AdamSchefter
Free-agent RB Cedric Benson is scheduled to fly to Green Bay to meet with Packers on Wednesday, per sources. Almost healed from LisFranc.
No thanks if you ask me. If for nothing else, to get him off the streets of Wisconsin. He's a perma-turd.
quote:
Originally posted by titmfatied:
quote:
@AdamSchefter
Free-agent RB Cedric Benson is scheduled to fly to Green Bay to meet with Packers on Wednesday, per sources. Almost healed from LisFranc.
No thanks if you ask me. If for nothing else, to get him off the streets of Wisconsin. He's a perma-turd.

Agree. The NFL is a young man's game - especially at RB. IMO, Benson only makes sense as an emergency signing in August.
I'm unsure of the animosity to Benson. I know I'm answering my own question here: injury history (unclear is Lisfranc repeats - google is your friend), mileage, and his DJ'ing during the season. He was beginning to come on and I believe he would have been a valuable contributor. He still has a gallon or two of gas in the tank IMO. I agree with those that D. Harris is a 12-15 carry a game guy, but Benson can also run out of that same scheme. Benson was a team player last year, he wasn't an ass during the season as far as I know. Harris' durability isn't known, so having Benson as a bona fide back up could make sense, if Ced agrees with that role.
He's really not that bad of a guy when he's sober, and not punching bartenders and women, and not driving 40 miles over the speed limit, and not fighting cops.

So, you know, there are times when he's OK.

Sort of.

OK, maybe not. Forget it.
Moved

Seems like a better spot for this.

quote:
Originally posted by chickenboy:
Aaron Nagler ‏@Aaron_Nagler 4m RT @TyDunne: #Packers have released RB Brandon Saine. Expand

Maybe this doesn't deserve it own thread but I'm not sure where it fits either.

Anyway, I really thought the team had something in him. 12 said he had the best hands on the team at one point. C-Boy was Rong about this guy.
"when taking this approach teams have to be very lucky to not be hit by the injury bug. Both the 49ers & Seahawks were very fortunate in that regard last season, let's see if they can luck out 2 years in a row."

No kidding. Let's see how they fare this year.
Little surprised they dumped Smith. I thought he showed flashes of good stuff, and if nothing else would have been added depth. Wonder who TT has on the radar or if he thinks Bishop will come back that strong.

Oops. Saw that Smith also had a knee injury last year. GB doesn't say he failed his physical, but maybe that's it...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.