Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by fightphoe93:
I was hoping Nnamdi would sign somewhere else. He just made the defending NFC champs even stronger.

Not if he plays like he did last year.
"Scrabble" was mis-cast in that Eagle defense. Although I believe the Packer WR's can torch him so whatever.

Still. Only signing for $3 million? with no guaranteed money? & it's his idea? Does he even need an agent?

Christ, I could've negotiated that deal
He certainly didn't do well in Philly, and Matt Bowen at NFP did an interesting breakdown of his technique that showed a lot of flaws

But Philly is a ****-hole, so maybe a new venue will help him improve or maybe he just wasn't as good as advertised
funny and stupid - fits that team to a T

quote:
The Lions quickly moved to secure an experienced replacement for retiring placekicker Jason Hanson, agreeing to terms with ex-49er David Akers, Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reported Friday evening.

http://profootballtalk.nbcspor...kers-agree-to-terms/

quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
Perfect.

Which NFC North team will give us the most competition for the division title this year?

If Adrian Petersen continues to stay healthy, it's the Queens. That guy alone is worth about 6 wins. As bad as Ponder looks at times, he looked like a future Hall Of Famer against the Pack in the Metrodome, and that was without a guy like Greg Jennings to help him.

The Pack is still the clear favorite, but if there's a team that can give them a battle, it's an Adrian Petersen led Viking team. If he goes down though, they're done.
Detroit might have the most talent next to GB in the division, but as long as Schwartz is their HC I don't think they can seriously compete with GB.

Minnesota had a nice year, but it's highly unlikely that Peterson can repeat his 2012 season and they still don't have much at WR or DB to make a serious run.

You would think Chicago would be there (similar to Detroit) but their defense is a shell of what it was from a few years ago and Cutler is still erratic throwing the ball.
Stafford wings the ball too much with bad form to ever be very clutch/crunch, for me. He'll keep them close but I doubt they ever get over the hump with him. Entertain, put butts in the seats, get to the playoffs? sure
Championships? nah
quote:
Originally posted by fightphoe93:
As bad as Ponder looks at times, he looked like a future Hall Of Famer against the Pack in the Metrodome, and that was without a guy like Greg Jennings to help him.

Confused
quote:
Originally posted by Goalline:
I don't know about that. Brent made a Hall of Fame career out of the same thing.

I think Brent had pretty good form for almost part, it was his brain that lacked formatting. Usually when Brent threw the ball, his arm position looked the same time after time. Stafford looks like a QB on one throw, a three-year-old on the next, and Betty White on the third. He has no consistency whatsoever on his arm angle, strength or touch. It's kind of puzzling because the year before he looked a whole lot better. Either he was hurt and it was never revealed, or his QB coach should be fired.

Sad to see Hanson go, as he was always a class act. On the other hand, thank goodness he's gone as he was so automatic. Big Grin
I wouldn't sleep on the Bears. They've upgraded their O-line with Slauson and Bushrod. And they have a TE in Bennett.

The D is older, but still decent. They lost two LBs, but have already replaced one with a pretty decent player in DJ Williams. Add a draft pick or two, and the D can still be pretty darn good.

I think the new GM is making some decent moves. Time will tell if they pay off. The wild card to me is the new HC and the rest of the coaching staff.
quote:
Originally posted by WolfPack:
Reggie Bush signs with Lions

I hope Schwartz leads the Lions for 10 more years.

quote:

With the Detroit Lions, Reggie Bush has a chance to be a central part of the offense -- both as a rusher and a receiver.

Lions coach Jim Schwartz made that clear on Tuesday, when he said the dynamic running back could finish with 60-to-80 receptions in 2013.
quote:
Lions coach Jim Schwartz made that clear on Tuesday, when he said the dynamic running back could finish with 60-to-80 receptions in 2013.

He could also wake up tomorrow with a Don King hairdo.
quote:

Thompson and the front office chose a strategy that fits in Green Bay WI -

And here is Bill Polian commenting on the Packers' Ted Thompson

" ESPN’s Bill Polian, a former NFL general manager, recently ranked the top six talent evaluators in the league and Ted Thompson of the Packers is among them.

"When discussing the qualities associated with the league's best talent evaluators, you might think it starts with an ability to identify potential in draft prospects," Polian wrote.

"On the contrary, what separates the best from the rest is an ability to first understand your own franchise."

"I also like that Ted is impervious to the noise around him - and that is true of all the guys on this list," Polian wrote. "Whether it's coming from the media, fans or even voices within an organization, there is no shortage of critics in this line of work. Ted presses the mute button on all of that and goes about his business, following his blueprint and accumulating wins."

Know who you are and go about your business accordingly
Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter21m
The way they've added talent this off-season, the Seahawks and 49ers have evolved into the NFL's 2013 version of the Red Sox and Yankees.

And that's worked out pretty poorly until you consider a 25 man roster vs. 53. Then it's slightly better than a sh**ty business plan. "All in" is a bluff. That get's called.

Draft. Develop. Stay healthy. Stay the course.
Last edited by ChilliJon
quote:
Originally posted by ChilliJon:
Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter21m
The way they've added talent this off-season, the Seahawks and 49ers have evolved into the NFL's 2013 version of the Red Sox and Yankees.

And that's worked out pretty poorly until you consider a 25 man roster vs. 53. Then it's slightly better than a sh**ty business plan. "All in" is a bluff. That get's called.

Draft. Develop. Stay healthy. Stay the course.

....when taking this approach teams have to be very lucky to not be hit by the injury bug. Both the 49ers & Seahawks were very fortunate in that regard last season, let's see if they can luck out 2 years in a row.
IMO, They should be talking to Tramon about a pay cut at the same time. I'd imagine they can still offer him a deal far above his current market value. $5.9M in 2013 ($300k roster bonus), $6.9M in 2014 ($300k roster bonus).

Injuries suck but it's counterproductive to pay your (possibly)third best guy as much as he's earning. I'm not convinced he'll recover enough to earn his current scheduled pay in the next two years. That's a big pile of cash for a guy who's being paid as a core performer and not playing anywhere near that level (especially with 12 and 52 about to get adjusted). At the very least I'd leverage turning some of his pay into performance bonuses and let him go out and try to prove it.
quote:
Originally posted by FLPACKER:
....when taking this approach teams have to be very lucky to not be hit by the injury bug. Both the 49ers & Seahawks were very fortunate in that regard last season, let's see if they can luck out 2 years in a row.
It would be nice if the football gods let us luck out one year in a row (hard to complain when you have back to back franchise QBs I guess). Also part of injuries is they often give you the opportunity to play a guy who just needs one. If you have some of that on your team it can be a big boost (ie Desmond Bishop). Hard to say the Packers wouldn't have faired better against the 49ers if Alex Smith kept his job the entire year.
For all the folks who scoff at stretching, apparently MM does not. They're looking at anything they can do to improve the injury situation. It's not outlandish to think some teams do a better job of warming up than others. We're talking about athletes gearing up for peak performance for 16-20 weeks. If there's something you can improve there it's well worth looking into, especially when a tennet of your practice program is preparing at a high tempo. A cursory look at the packers injury history shows a great deal of muscle strains over the last few seasons. Perhaps it's worth looking into how you're getting the horses ready. Maybe there's nothing there (I personally think there is), but even if there's not, it's worth examining to find out one way or the other.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.