Skip to main content

Satori, A reasonable reply but still doesn't address the fact that we have enormous holes on this team that all the TT apologists ignore. Sure we drafted some very good players after the first round, but so do most teams. That's not TT blowing other GM's away. There are a lot of good players in the draft and everyone gets his share more or less. And yes SF hasn't won anything for a while. But lets try to deal with now. We have Aaron Rodgers who covers up for an enormous disparity we suffer in other areas. Our linebackers vs SF's?... Our DB's vs Seattle's?... Our DL vs almost any DL? Our OL vs almost any OL (except the Bears). We can be satisfied making the playoffs every year but the TT defenders always bring up NE and that they haven't won anything since 2003. Well you can't criticize NE than credit TT for us doing the same. My only point is if we are honest with ourselves and not in love with every Packer, we have to admit that in total roster, we are behind quite a few teams. The draft alone won't fill the void. I am not advocating a Mario Williams deal by any means nor even a Mike Wallace deal for Jennings, although I'd like to keep him. TT's right in paying our own, but than he goes and overpays an incompetent Hawk (Hawk lovers, sorry for going there). I will agree there are no huge game changers out there that I'd give big contracts to. But there are some pretty good players. Many of them aren't "turds" as you described, and many would love to play in Green Bay if only to play with Rodgers and Mathews. Hopefully TT's patience will land one or two players with some game and character.
quote:
Originally posted by Satori:
quote:
Originally posted by Hud:
We have major holes at ILB, OLB, OL, S, DL and we think we'll fix them in the draft? This reverence for TT is way too cultish.

Your comment on the TT cult has some merit around here, but understand that its the result of so much bashing by so many posters over the years.
So the pro-TT crowd tends to be a little cultish in response to the never ending slings and arrows. We know he whiffs, we know he has a lousy bedside manner and the personality of a dry toast. We get it

But as Chilijon so eloquently wrote- 9 of the last 10 Super Bowl winners followed the draft and develop mantra and used FA strategically - not to fill holes long term but to hold the fort until the new guys are ready

SF hasn't won squat so I don't know why so many are holding them up as a model for anything, same with Seattle. The Hawks have cap room because they scored a QB in the 3rd- leaving them with money to spend

But using a 1st rounder on a WR isn't very wise and spending 3 picks on a head case is borderline idiotic

As for fixing the holes in the draft, let's not forget that GB drafted 6 defenders last year, one of them in the 2nd round who turned into a rookie of the year candidate and replaced one of the most difficult to replace players in Charles Woodson - that's a fantastic pick and even more impressive coaching of Casey Hayward. A mid 2nd rounder who is a playmaker- imagine that !

And here's the part I think that all of you FA lovers really need to come to grips with:

Green Bay is not a favored destination for young millionaires. Its just not. There are 330 million people in the USA and only 5 million of them grew up in WI or lived there. So the vast majority of the population and players know nothing of WI and don't dream of coming to small town GB

So, how will you lure them there ? By overpaying. Whether that's on day one or day 75, players from FLA, CA, TX, the SEC etc simply wouldn't choose GB as a preferred destination if they have other choices.
Woodson didn't want to come to GB at all...

So, given that, Thompson and the front office chose a strategy that fits in Green Bay WI- how fukking smart is that ?

It also acts as a filter- guys who are all about football will see the value in Titletown and take a contract that is market value. Canty wouldn't even come to GB in 2009, so GB didn't bother with an offer. You won't even come for a visit ?

Screw you, get your cash someplace else

And finally, Thompson is one of the few GMs who actually played the game and understands the immense importance of locker room chemistry

He won't drop a turd in the pool, he won't pay outsiders more than the guys who toil all year long because all it does is create disharmony and animosity

And if you ask any Championship squad they all say the same thing

"We came together as a team, the chemistry is awesome and they'd take a bullet for their fellow players"

Contrast that with the Dream Team in Philly where $60 million dollar Nnamdi eats his lunch alone in the car cause he can't stand his team mates and they don't like him

We're blessed to have an organization that understands their position, their role and how the outside world views them and has developed a strategy to take advantage of their strengths, minimize their weaknesses... and despite being the smallest outpost in all of professional sports are the all time leaders with 13 World Titles spanning decades

They aren't perfect, but I wouldn't trade them for any other team

Go Packers
quote:
we have to admit that in total roster, we are behind quite a few teams.

Then why do they continually finish ahead of them?

The only thing you have said in all your rambling is you have no clue as to depth and experience on the team.

"enormous"? Christ.

You have players filling roles that shouldn't be full time starters, that's injuries. You haven't addressed that once because you can't. You take those same guys that had to play full time and put them back into a solid team rotation with returning starters and this team looks a whole lot different. What do other teams have? Truly "enormous" holes when a 2nd stringer has to step in. Hell, they had 3rd stringers out there this year. Team development is as much about developing depth and rotation as it is starters.

But keep failing to grasp that concept.
Via Rotoworld on the matter...

Here's the move owner Jim Irsay assured fans they would be "FIRED UP ABOUT." It's just the latest deal from the free-spending Colts, and another questionable contract from GM Ryan Grigson, who had a nearly flawless first year on the job. Jean-Francois can play any spot on the line, but has never been a starter. Per The Sideline View's Adam Caplan, Jean-Francois has never played more than 27 percent of his team's defensive snaps in a single season. Grigson has earned the benefit of the doubt, but it seems like an overpay on the surface, much like Gosder Cherilus (five years, $34.5M) and Erik Walden's (four years, $16M) deals.
Maybe you're right. If not for injuries and Bishop, Perry and Bulaga had been there we would have beaten SF.

quote:
Originally posted by Henry:
quote:
we have to admit that in total roster, we are behind quite a few teams.

Then why do they continually finish ahead of them?

The only thing you have said in all your rambling is you have no clue as to depth and experience on the team.

"enormous"? Christ.

You have players filling roles that shouldn't be full time starters, that's injuries. You haven't addressed that once because you can't. You take those same guys that had to play full time and put them back into a solid team rotation with returning starters and this team looks a whole lot different. What do other teams have? Truly "enormous" holes when a 2nd stringer has to step in. Hell, they had 3rd stringers out there this year. Team development is as much about developing depth and rotation as it is starters.

But keep failing to grasp that concept.
quote:
Originally posted by Satori:

Your comment on the TT cult has some merit around here, but understand that its the result of so much bashing by so many posters over the years.
So the pro-TT crowd tends to be a little cultish.............

.......................They aren't perfect, but I wouldn't trade them for any other team

Go Packers

Hey Satori, when did you get so smart? Must have been that goat cheese I fed you. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by chickenboy:
Aaron Nagler โ€@Aaron_Nagler RT @caplannfl: Ricky Jean Francois agreed to a 4 year, $22 M deal with the Colts, per source.

If anybody has heard of him...

Well, we'll see how he does. I was not impressed with him when he was subbing for Justin Smith at the end of the year for the 49ers. I had heard the Packers had some interest, and I'm kind of glad they didn't get serious about signing him. To me, he's more of a decent backup than any sort of a starter.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/s...myths-exposed-031413

I say this not to be a contrarian but few NFL teams have had better offseasons than Baltimore. This is exactly how the best teams operate. They sign the best quarterback possible and they plug in people around him, younger and ostensibly cheaper players with upward mobility found in April in the draft. It is not nearly as sexy as the breathy first couple of days of free agency, but the mining of the fourth and fifth rounds is where the best teams excel. It allows teams like the Ravens to build a base where a smart free-agent signing or trade transforms a team from contender to Super Bowl winner.

I just do not buy into this idea that the Ravens got worse because an aging Ray Lewis and his diminishing skill retired, or because they did not throw crazy money at players to keep the band together, or because they did not bring in Daniel. This is not to say the Chiefs and Browns screwed up in free agency. They already were screwed up. They knew it. It is why they fired people and hired new ones. It is why they are looking for Band-Aids in free agency.

It is the stomping grounds of the truly damned and there are no winners here.

I really enjoyed this read. A few of you will.
quote:
Originally posted by AquaBreaker:
This is the way the Vikings front office works.

A player that's rarely produced, had a mysterious injury, and is a headache off the field, how would you handle him?

Clearly, if you're the Vikings, you lavish upon him a 1 year deal that includes: $1.35m base salary, $500k signing bonus, and $250k workout bonus.

That's nothing, last year they gave $25 million to a guy who hadn't played in a year. He caught 8 passes for 43 yards in 2012. By comparison Jerome Simpson was a bargain.
quote:
Satori, A reasonable reply

You lost me after that. But for the sake of argument,

"Our linebackers vs SF's". I'd like to play SF again with Willis and Ahmad Brooks out with injuries

"Our DB's vs Seattle's". I'll take ours.

I'm still not sure why we're cherry picking units from specific teams as an argument on TT's perceived shortcomings though. This isn't fantasy football. I dont disagree with the current state of the DL and OL. Some missed picks, injuries. What TT wont do is hit the panic button and throw more money at a few bad moves.

Satori's post was spot on.
quote:
Satori, A reasonable reply but still doesn't address the fact that we have enormous holes on this team that all the TT apologists ignore. Sure we drafted some very good players after the first round, but so do most teams. That's not TT blowing other GM's away. There are a lot of good players in the draft and everyone gets his share more or less. Our linebackers vs SF's?... Our DB's vs Seattle's?... Our DL vs almost any DL? Our OL vs almost any OL (except the Bears). . My only point is if we are honest with ourselves and not in love with every Packer, we have to admit that in total roster, we are behind quite a few teams. The draft alone won't fill the void.

We have holes and so do other teams, the league is set up to create parity and the days of the dynasties are over. That's what the league wants and they legislate accordingly.

The Packers do draft better than most teams, who are then forced into FA because of the misses in the draft. And don't take my word for it, here's Don Banks at SI rating the best front offices, GB comes in at number 2

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c...t-offices/index.html

So I think you'd be more correct if you acknowledge that indeed GB is better than most in the draft and has one of the very best scouting crews run by a former player and scout

As for SFs talents or Seattle's strengths- each team has areas where they are better/ worse...but how many of them can match up across the board and not just in one position group ?

The Packers play in a passing league and have the best QB - so they surround him with talent AND make plans to handle losing that talent if push comes to shove. Most NFL teams would be devastated to lose their number 1 WR, GB played most of last season without theirs and without number 2 for several games

Yet they kept winning. And the reason is because they look long term and have a plan and stick to it. Its a game of attrition and the pipeline of young ascending talent is what keeps GB viable - then you hope to catch fire and go all the way

Drafting adds a never- ending supply of young, hungry and ascending players fighting their way up a depth chart

Free agency adds older, descending players to the top of the depth chart and those guys don't have to earn their spot - its handed to them

Thompson is all about competition and we've said it many times before

Quantity begets quality through competition.

The typical way they do it is to draft a high pick, a low pick and an undrafted FA to compete and let the best man win

We've had posts here in the past talking about how the Packers took Matthews early, Brad Jones late and then followed up with a Francios or a Lattimore

We've also had posts here where we broke down the 2010 Championship team and noted that Thompson spent the equivalent draft points on an entire WR crew, TE crew, RB crew and OL that the Falcons spent on one WR, Julio Jones

As I posted to my dear friend Japf, there are currently 30 free agents on the Packers roster, so you are correct that it can't be done "with just the draft"

But that's not what the Packers do, so pigeon-holing them as "draft only" is erroneous. They aren't unrestricted free agents, but they were FAs just the same

And as a reminder- the Green Bay Packers won their most recent Championship in a passing league with the following DBs

Tramon Williams- undrafted FA
Sam Shields- undrafted FA
Charles Woodson- FA
Nick Collins - 2nd rounder
Charlie Peprah- undrafted FA

The system works.

You don't see a contradiction in her article?... damning teams for signing free agents then praising Denver for... signing free agents. Yes, Denver signed PLAYERS, so what was the point?... sign good players.

quote:
Originally posted by RatPack:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/s...myths-exposed-031413

I say this not to be a contrarian but few NFL teams have had better offseasons than Baltimore. This is exactly how the best teams operate. They sign the best quarterback possible and they plug in people around him, younger and ostensibly cheaper players with upward mobility found in April in the draft. It is not nearly as sexy as the breathy first couple of days of free agency, but the mining of the fourth and fifth rounds is where the best teams excel. It allows teams like the Ravens to build a base where a smart free-agent signing or trade transforms a team from contender to Super Bowl winner.

I just do not buy into this idea that the Ravens got worse because an aging Ray Lewis and his diminishing skill retired, or because they did not throw crazy money at players to keep the band together, or because they did not bring in Daniel. This is not to say the Chiefs and Browns screwed up in free agency. They already were screwed up. They knew it. It is why they fired people and hired new ones. It is why they are looking for Band-Aids in free agency.

It is the stomping grounds of the truly damned and there are no winners here.

I really enjoyed this read. A few of you will.
quote:
Originally posted by fightphoe93:
quote:
Originally posted by chickenboy:
Aaron Nagler โ€@Aaron_Nagler RT @caplannfl: Ricky Jean Francois agreed to a 4 year, $22 M deal with the Colts, per source.

If anybody has heard of him...

Well, we'll see how he does. I was not impressed with him when he was subbing for Justin Smith at the end of the year for the 49ers. I had heard the Packers had some interest, and I'm kind of glad they didn't get serious about signing him. To me, he's more of a decent backup than any sort of a starter.

He's CJ Wilson

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.