Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Hungry5:
@PriscoCBS
One thing I felt at owners meetings: The teams know they got the best of the union in that CBA.

I think this is more of the reason for the current financial landscape league wide than GMs emulating Thompson. They are working this way because they can.

It's just a different and deeper labor pool than the NBA or MLB. Average system players can be made to appear great. They dislodge veteran players who, understandably, want to be paid in part for what they've done. Teams (most anyway) have become smarter about identifying system players.
I like bringing back Jones at that price. He'd look much better with Bishop next to him instead of Hawk. I am a little surprised at them bringing back both Hawk and Jones though, b/c now you're going into next year with the same ILB corp as last year, ie: the same corp that was absolutely burned by AP and Kaepernick. Guess we can just hope that getting Bishop and Perry back will fix those problems, b/c i dont see any help coming in at ILB.
quote:
Originally posted by CUPackFan:
I am a little surprised at them bringing back both Hawk and Jones though, b/c now you're going into next year with the same ILB corp as last year, ie: the same corp that was absolutely burned by AP and Kaepernick.
I think it's a little bit of admission of how unprepared they were for the pistol too. Jones is the best of the three in coverage so should get the majority of nickel and dime snaps and I believe is a core ST guy as well. Should have enough work not to be upset about playing time and AJ and Bishop can take the snaps against the big sets against the maulers.

I'm pretty surprised they haven't even kicked the tires on Dumervil. If the Steelers and Ravens are looking at him it's a pretty good sign that there's value there. Those two teams are excel at evaluating personnel and I'm real shaky on Perry. He still needs a good measure of development and the defense needs all the help it can get. Get the feeling that Perry is getting handed the starting job next year and think if anything the competition with a vet would be good for him.
With a full stable going into the draft, the BPA plan has more options on draft day
That's what they aim for, trying not to be so needy in late April that they are forced to jump the board. If a solid ILB presents himself, nothing they've done so far will preclude GB from adding more competition at that spot as noted by Maynard

GB is still a quite light at OLB, so we may see a journeyman /role player brought in there before the draft. I think there are only 3 on the roster right now
quote:
I'm pretty surprised they haven't even kicked the tires on Dumervil. If the Steelers and Ravens are looking at him it's a pretty good sign that there's value there

Silverstein was asked that very question by a fan. He tweeted back "and then do what with Perry?"

Neither the Ravens or Steelers invested a 1st round pick in an OLB in the previous draft and neither have someone named Clay Matthews on their team.

GB has both. GB's bread and butter is to draft and develop. Perry's wrist from what I've read has healed fine and he's rarin' to go. And prior to getting hurt, you could see improvement against the run and he was getting more and more consistent push.

Sign Dumervil and that development stops. Because GB isn't going to sign him to be Perry's back up.

There's also a real possibility part of their interest is to screw a fellow AFC rival and SB hopeful's salary cap. Because if the Bronco's can't get him back IIRC they get a fairly large accelerated cap hit. That alone could generate plenty of interest from both teams.
from PFT:
quote:
According to Dan Pompei of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears have agreed to a one-year deal with former Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams.

The Broncos parted ways with Williams after a troubled season which featured a pair of suspensions, but the 30-year-old was still playing at a solid level before the trouble.

The former first-rounder could earn up to $1.75 million if he hits a number of playing time incentives and workout bonuses, but there is no guaranteed money in the deal.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.