Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by noiropus:
Not only has Jones improved tremendously in his route-running and catching, he is also very durable. Hasn't missed a game since 2008 according to wikipedia stats. Also with his thick frame, and being a possession-type receiver not relying purely on speed, should have several good seasons left.

Great asset to the team.

Exactly what the **** I'm talkin' about.
And now a word from Ted Thompson from the NFL Meetings.

On the criticism he get's on Free Agency:
quote:
"I don’t think fans are unruly or harmful or mad at me. I think they want the Packers to do good. it means so much to the state of Wisconsin and Packers fans everywhere for the organization to do well, and I think they want us to do right by the organization and right by the players and we try to do that. … I don’t think you can get too worked up about being criticized."

On his philosophy of building a team:
quote:
"All this thing is a big, giant puzzle, and the pieces all have to fit. At some point, things get out of whack a little bit and all the pieces don’t fit anymore. But they’re, like I said, our policy in drafting and developing is a conservative but solid way of building your team. The end result of that is that, historically speaking, you’re going to get to the end of contract lives where people have outplayed their rookie deals and if you’ve done a good enough job of drafting and developing, you’re going to have more of those at that stage than you can keep. But that’s, relatively speaking, a good problem to have."

On How he approaches available Free Agents (can't confirm but I believe this was in reference to Steven Jackson)
quote:
"It seems like that always happens. Guys get on the wrong side of a contract and they get released, if that’s what you’re talking about. they still can play, it’s just, they’re … that’s part of the balance of being aggressive in free agency and things like that. Because you get these contracts at the time, they look really good for the team and the player, and then three years later, it looks good for the player but it doesn’t look quite as good for the team. Or vice versa. And somebody has to break that contract, and then you have to pay the consequences of that in terms of the acceleration (into the salary cap) and things like that. But at the same time, a person in my position, you can’t be so afraid of that or so concerned about not having a bad deal sometime that you become comatose and don’t do anything. But there are very smart people around the NFL and you’ll see a lot of these guys this week. We all make mistakes, and most of us have been in that position where it doesn’t work out."

Wrapped saying there will be bargains to be had. Just have to pay attention and remember the big picture.
quote:
Originally posted by noiropus:
However, he has to take that into account as the GM and sign players that can stay healthy

Ya! What the hell was Ted Thompson thinking drafting some of these guys??

Andrew Quarless

Ted Thompson should have looked into his crystal ball, and known in advance that Andrew Quarless was going to completely destroy his right ACL on kick return coverage? Stoopid General Manager!!!!

And shame on Ted Thompson for not predicting that Tamba Hali was going to roll up on Derek Sherrod, snapping both the tibia and fibula in his right leg. A good General Manager would have told Derek to take some calcium or some other ****! Stoopid, stoopid Ted Thompson!!!!

But the worst decision Ted's made was letting Greg Jennings go. Look at this ****. Jennings broke his leg, and still took it to the house! How could Ted let him go to the Vikings??!!

It's a ****ing miracle that we won the Super Bowl two years ago. Our idiot General Manager keeps drafting guys that get hurt. Let's get Mike Sherman back!!!!
I found it very interesting that the Steelers are interested in Elvis Dumervil. The Packers and Steelers have very methods with how they build their teams...choosing to draft and develop rather than go wild on free agents. You hear about the Packers and Steelers seemingly interested in a lot of the same players, Ahmad Bradshaw is the most recent example. If the Steelers are interested in Dumervil, I would be willing to be the Packers are as well especially considering the lack of depth at OLB.
typical in today's sportswriting where FA, since it gives the writers tons of stuff to pontificate on, is seen as the remedy when it's just as 50/50 as the draft.
from a wilde article:
quote:
All the while, of course, fans saw three division rivals (the Vikings, Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions) and two NFC conference rivals (the Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers) improving their teams while Thompson was seemingly doing nothing.

I don't agree at all. That's assumption. Should read:
quote:
All the while, of course, fans saw three division rivals (the Vikings, Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions) and two NFC conference rivals (the Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers) hoping to improve their teams while Thompson was seemingly doing nothing.
The Seattle overreactions crack me up. Seattle lost their D Coordinator to the Jaguars in the offseason. They replaced him with a guy who has zero NFL experience at DC. Sure he was a successful DC at Florida for 2 years, but so was Bob Sanders! And yes I know Pete Carroll is a defensive guy and Dan Quinn's lack of experience doesn't mean he will fail, but some people are acting like they won't skip a beat. There's no way of knowing that. It's just as likely their DC will get out-coached like crazy. Plus teams have film on guys like Wilson and Kaepernick, so it's going to be a lot more difficult for them in 2013 to repeat their success.
quote:
Originally posted by Grave Digger:
I found it very interesting that the Steelers are interested in Elvis Dumervil. The Packers and Steelers have very methods with how they build their teams...choosing to draft and develop rather than go wild on free agents. You hear about the Packers and Steelers seemingly interested in a lot of the same players, Ahmad Bradshaw is the most recent example. If the Steelers are interested in Dumervil, I would be willing to be the Packers are as well especially considering the lack of depth at OLB.

PIT and GBP will use FA if the position and price fit. I'd guess that Dumervil fit their (position) need but probably not the price. Same for Long...

@AdamSchefter
Just before OT Jake Long agreed to a four-year deal worth up to $36 million with Rams, Steelers made a play to try to get him to Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh let James Harrison go so they have a need at OLB. GB has no depth to speak of behind Matthews and Perry. Walden took the money (can you blame him?) and they appear ready to move on from Zombo. They will be looking for some OLB depth. You're right though, everything depends on the price. Thompson has a number in his head about what Dumervil (or any FA) is worth and won't budge much from that. Dumervil has hit the FA market late and teams already have given solid deals to pass rushers among other positions. The money may not be there for him to strike a payday...heck the team that accidentally released him wanted him to reduce his cap number significantly and he was in agreement. Dumervil won't strike it rich (in NFL terms) and honestly the Packers don't have a ton of money tied up at OLB. Perry's cap number is 1.7 and Clay's is 4.9. Obviously Clay is going to get a new deal, possibly during the season, but even then the Packers have very little invested in pass rushers compared to other teams. The Giants have over 13 million dedicated to pass rushers, the Seahawks have 27 million. That's edge rushers only, not interior players.
Finley question. He has a $4.5 million escalator due on the 27th. $8.25 cap hit for 2013. Do you try and tear that contract up and re-sign him for 3 years at $6 million per before March 27th?

Jared Cook just signed a 5yr deal around $7 milllion per. No way Finley is getting $8 million on the open market. The TE market has really dried up (along with just about every FA position based on the flat cap) and its really unlikely he see's $8 million from anyone after 2013 either.

It would appear that the Packers are fully on board with him. He admitted he was a mess the 1st half of last year thinking about his 2yr deal too much.
This is were a professional has to make the hard call. Finley has or use to have the talant to be one of the best skill position players in the game (megatron good).
If he returns to form 8 million a year is ok, but resigning him will be a bear. If he plays like he has for most of the last two years he should be cut.
This is a case were Ted earns his pay.
quote:
Originally posted by Grave Digger:
GB has no depth to speak of behind Matthews and Perry.

Desmond Moses shows great promise, but more depth is definitely needed.

Really liked Michael Huff at Texas. Have to admit I haven't seen the Raiders play much, so not sure if his struggles have been cause he plays for a crap team Or some other reason. Sounds like he got yanked around- moved from safety to cb (team injuries). A veteran safety would be a nice addition.
I doubt Dumer lands here, but it would be cool if he did... if he took something reasonable to have a chance at a ring would be the only way he could end up here. Maybe moving to the NFC when it was a paperwork snafu would set better with him and I have a feeling Perry would find a place to play regardless if we did sign him.

When we see the extensions for AR and CM3 done, that will be cooler. Adding icing to that would be Finley coming to his senses and working out an extension for his contract at a reasonable price.

I want BJ back too, but he really had a bad game against the whiners. How much of that is due to what we had at MLB right then remains to be seen, but I like the guy and want to still see him around.

We still reload, the rest admire.
quote:
Originally posted by Cavetoad:
... if he took something reasonable to have a chance at a ring would be the only way he could end up here.

I think he has as good a shot at a ring in Denver (if he resigns) as he does in Green Bay. The AFC is not as strong (so it appears) so the road the the Super Bowl would seem to be a little less difficult.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.