Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by ChilliJon:
49'ers getting lots of press for FA activity. Boldin trade was worth a 6th rounder. But unless something drastic changes, they just swapped Dashon Goldson with Craig Dahl at S.

I'll gladly take that.
I agree with that but the engine on that team is that offensive line. As long as they stay healthy that team is going to be a tough matchup for anyone. Best I've seen in a long long time "(like since the cowboys) and I think they're all back this year.
Goldson was a stud for the Niners. I'm kind of surprised they let him walk as easily as they did. He's a top 5 safety in this league IMO and he's a young guy.

SF has made good moves but let's remember last offseason people went gaga for the Manningham and Moss and Brandon Jacbos moves too. What did that get them? Not much.

I also think they are betting their future that Kaepernick is "the guy" and for all we know he could be James Starks circa the 2nd half of 2010. He played well but I still don't view him in the category of a Brady or Rodgers or someone that's proven themselves over the long haul.

Personally, I'm more concerned about Seattle than SF. The one piece they were missing was a true playmaker at WR and if Harvin can stay off the weed, I mean, avoid the migraines Big Grin they are the team to beat IMO.
quote:
Originally posted by chickenboy:
I ask the same question on here every year. Is it possible to be a a TT fan but also desire/request/be a fan of using free agency as a roster supplementer? Again,not Haynesworth-like stupidity, just reasonable money for positions that need help.

Again, is FA over? You find the guys that fit/compliment your scheme but don't blow up your cap so you can develop and retain the guys you have. Players are FAs for a reason, big bucks or end of their career.

It is simply a value equation and that equation goes beyond just cap dollars. Big money FA is going to crimp your resources. If the GM truly believes the player is a fit for need, it happens. It just doesn't appear to be common amongst teams that employee this strategy.

You can be a fan all you want but proclaiming the demise of the team because you don't get your personal way is beyond idiocy.
Again, not complaining about TT in general - pack are lucky to have him.

BUT,

You all might forget that for all his "DRAFTING PROWESS", the signing of Charles Woodson (probably 3rd all-time in GBP free-agency signings, along with BF and RW) was instrumental in building a SB-ready contender.

Since then, the DL signings last year (Merling etc... who didn't even stick with the team), safeties in the past (Pephrah, etc...), and other low-tier signees have been terrible.

Also, it's true that he is a great scout for almost all positions, but NOT the offensive lines (the mystery of the Pack's track record notwithstanding). I was thinking about this morning. Would we have won the SB without Chad Clifton, for example? It just seems inexcusable that we have been unable to find a bona fide, durable tackle pair that can stay healthy in what, 15 years (Tauscher and he were drafted in 2000!!!!!!)? Particularly when there was talent available, as the Saints and Niners amongst other teams have proven in building their lines during that timeframe. Heck, just look at the Ravens. They REBUILT their offensive line DURING THE SEASON, and that as much as anything translated to their SB win (the fire that was lit under McKinnie's behind was nothing short of remarkable). Meanwhile, we were seemingly unable to find a suitable starting 5 despite a clear demonstration of priority after the Giants' playoff loss.

Again, this is strictly a matter of opinion (and I don't overvalue mine). A SB win is a spectacular achievement that should give the benefit of the doubt to TT/MM/DC for a few more years (but not permanently).

I think TT has a great history of drafting WR, QB, and DB (counting Shields who was technically undrafted), a mediocre history at drafting LB (Mathews neutralizes the Hawk pick at #5, other players are largely unproven but unspectacular, with Bishop being solid/above average (yet he might not make a roster like SF's)), a marginal history with safeties, and terrible history with OL/DL (our lines are being consistently manhandled by the likes of SF, NY, SEA among others). I do recognize the injury bug has DECIMATED this team. However, he has to take that into account as the GM and sign players that can stay healthy or revamp the training staff, as has been mentioned previously. Where would this team be if players like Harrell, Sherrod, Perry, Neal etc... had lived up to their potential? We will never know, but I certainly wouldn't bet on the last 3 being completely healthy from now on either.
by that definition, "DECIMATED" is actually an understatement with respect to the impact on the OL/DL.

My point is what it is - either the trenches have been undervalued by the current regime, AND/OR injuries have been worse than expected, AND/OR the talent level has been overestimated. Whatever the cause, the effect is right there when looking at tape on both niners games, the last 2 giants games, the first half at the seahawks, etc...

Can it be fixed? In theory yes. But my point is that the approach last year, after the giants loss, seemed to be way nonchalant - the starting 5 was inadequate going INTO the season. What is disappointing is that we are left with the "hope" that unproven players like Sherrod will be able to play well from the beginning. Obviously they have better access to medical information than any of us, but the truth is that even as a rookie he couldn't unseat the incumbent (was it Newhouse?). Seems like a high-risk gamble when you are protecting one of the game's best (who gets pounded back there year after year).
quote:
Also, it's true that he is a great scout for almost all positions, but NOT the offensive lines (the mystery of the Pack's track record notwithstanding)

Bulaga has been pretty decent IMO, would you not agree? What about Josh Sitton? I'm sure most teams in the league would love to have a guard of his caliber.

Newhouse has gotten better (replacing a legend in GB) and Barclay showed me a lot down the stretch.

Sherrod's been hurt. Tough to evaluate that one.

You might also be interested to know they drafted Steve Hutchinson when he was with Seattle. If he's not a HOF lineman I don't know who is.
Good points Tschmack with respect to the young linemen and Sitton.

However, the results are on tape. They might look OK against mid-level competition, but that OL as a group cannot compete against top talent (and that's what it is going to take to get another Lombardi moving forward, as no one wants another f*** in the wind). True, AR seemed to revert some to holding the ball too long sometimes. But, more times than not, he is able to make plays in the face of frank mayhem (i.e. breakdowns in protection). In addition, our time of possession and defense as a result suffer from way too many three-and-outs, failed third-and-short, etc...

I don't think there is an easy fix frankly. Does the offensive playcalling need to revert to quicker drops (sacrificing the long ball to an extent), should they devote an extra lineman on running plays, draft someone like Lacy?, draft several OL, or a combination? I actually suspect that WR run blocking is one thing that may benefit from Jennings' exit (Jones and Nelson seem much better).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.