Skip to main content

I'm with you. Welker is more about the first ten yards, Greg is more working the seam.

Greg also would have caught those two huge drops by Welker in the playoffs. Wes can't put the team on his back like Greg can.

It could be deadly with those TEs of New England and GJ working the middle of the field, if Jennings signs there. They just need better receivers on the edge to open up the field and Brady would be happy again. Come to think of it, I think Brady would be very happy if the Pats could land Jennings.
Andy Reid setting up Alex Smith to be the next Kolb and Chase Daniels as the next Vick:

Via Rotoworld from Matt Maiocco on Twitter (all text Rotoworld's):

Chiefs coach Andy Reid confirmed Wednesday Alex Smith won't have to compete with new signee Chase Daniel in training camp.

"Alex Smith is the starting quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs," Reid said unambiguously. Daniel drew hype as a potential starter in free agency before signing a three-year, $10 million contract that includes $5 million guaranteed. That's a lot for a No. 2, but Smith won't lose his job barring a season-ending injury.

Meanwhile, former Titans OG Duece Lutui pretty much ruined any hopes of a decent payday by being suspended the first 4 games of 2013 per Howard Balzer.
If NE wasn't willing to spend $12 million on Welker for 2 years, how do they hand Jennings $10 million per? I agree that Jennings is a more complete receiver than Welker, but still. Welker was a perfect fit with Hernandez and Gronk with Brady. Why pay that much more to screw with what's working?
quote:
Originally posted by ChilliJon:
Why pay that much more to screw with what's working?

Testosterone and egos = pissing match that somebody loses

Its also a major FU from Peyton Manning to the Pats
quote:
Originally posted by ChilliJon:
If NE wasn't willing to spend $12 million on Welker for 2 years, how do they hand Jennings $10 million per? I agree that Jennings is a more complete receiver than Welker, but still. Welker was a perfect fit with Hernandez and Gronk with Brady. Why pay that much more to screw with what's working?

This!
quote:
Originally posted by Finleyfor6:
Even Pete Carroll will have a hard time messing Seattle up.

Despite what you think of him, he has made the playoffs twice in his three years in Seattle.

Yes, I know they were 7-9 in one of those seasons but they were coming off of 4 and 5-win seasons...
quote:
I bet the Patriots will end up being the team that overpays for Jennings if Brady decides to raise a big enough stink over this thing with Welker.

Since when did the Pats start overpaying for FAs?
quote:
Originally posted by chickenboy:
Kevin Seifert ‏@espn_nfcnblog Cliff Avril's deal with #Seahawks is for 2 years, per @AdamSchefter.

Only two years? Avril is only 26...

I liked the Jason Jones signing. But when two teams basically trade players via FA you have to wonder why both sides simply let their guy walk.
quote:
Originally posted by justanotherpackerfan:
Seriously, the "you'll learn" was just stating that I don't get worked up over free agency anymore because of past experience. I was going for the joke...I tend to do that.
You need more liberal use of the smiley faces!! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Fandame:
Amondala signing means that Jennings may fall back into TT's lap -- at a discount! Smiler

He got a 5 year deal, avg 6 mil per year, with just 10 mil guarenteed. Again, Jennings can't be happy with those numbers.

While this kid is younger then Jennings, he's also had just 1 season where he's been able to play a full season, his missed 20 games in 2 years I believe, and he's built like a high schooler. Durability a definite issue in an AFC conference with big time defenses.

Tommy prolly still isn't all that thrilled. I'd have taken Jennings over him.
quote:
Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter
Broncos reached agreement on a one-year deal with former Eagles CB Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie

This really is reality fantasy football. Seriously. Let's be honest. Every year there are 10 teams that have a realistic chance of the SB (the smart GM's). So 22 teams sign/trade/swap/cut/ players that were/are overpaid/underpaid/stars/busts to keep the seats filled with incoming dream teams that are nothing more than offsetting guaranteed contracts destined to be shed in time for the next batch of overpaid/underpaid/stars/busts.

It doesn't matter if you win. It matter's that you're giving the impression you're trying to win. FILL THOSE SEATS. Revenue matters!

Pitt, GB, Giants, NE, Indy, NO, and Baltimore have won the past 10 SB's. NO is the outlier. Kraft, Pioli, Thompson, Mara, Rooney, and Newsome. Repeating pattern in FA. Follow the plan. If a FA is available for the right price for the right need for the right contract length, wonder why.... then check... then inquire.

The football / fan world is fixated on Jennings/Jackson and waiting for Ted to move. Imagine how fast he could move on both and be a hero. I love that he hasn't becasue he has a plan.
Can I quote that Chilli? Eloquently said.

The world waits, but Ted has a plan.

In TT I trust. It is so nice to not fret and worry. These days we wait and reload, while the rest react.

I hope everyone realizes how lucky we are to just... pontificate and not worry.
Agree, Chili. I also think some GMs hit the big red panic button instead of staying calm. It's that auction mentality: "I better bid on something, anything, before they're all gone!" In some cases, yes, they are appeasing the fans.

I'll take poker-face Ted any day rather than some of those knee-jerk reactors.
The AZ cardinals are considering Brian Urlacher and given all the Chicago snowbirds in AZ, it got me to wondering...

If the Cards bring him in, will they sell enough Urlacher jerseys, merchandise and tickets to cover his $4 million salary ? If so, then it doesn't even matter if he can play or not, so long as the numbers work out
quote:
Originally posted by Satori:
The AZ cardinals are considering Brian Urlacher and given all the Chicago snowbirds in AZ, it got me to wondering...

If the Cards bring him in, will they sell enough Urlacher jerseys, merchandise and tickets to cover his $4 million salary ? If so, then it doesn't even matter if he can play or not, so long as the numbers work out

Flashback to Bert going to the Queens... Even at Bert's inflated contract I'm sure Ziggy made money off the Queens' fans.
To play the devil's advocate here one of the centerpieces to last year's plan was Jeff Saturday. It nearly imploded the offense and subjected Rodgers to a boatload of hits. I understand not every move is going to work out for the best but that may well have been TT's single worst signing (especially considering Birk was still available at the time).

MM emphasizes how the closer you are to the ball at the snap the more responsibility you have to the team. How they fill the center position is the single most important question of the off season. As much as I want Jennings back and an improvement at RB, a weak center effort drags the offense and the team down with it. One thing you can't scheme around in football is the guy who snaps the ball.

All that said I respect the hell out of TT for sticking to his guns and his instinct to know his offer was more in tune with the market than what Jennings was negotiating for.

I think TT looks at Jennings as a nice addition to the offense if he can get him at the right price. Jones is the guy they like best in the long term in my opinion. He's turned himself into a younger version of Boldin and has the body type to last in the league. He'll always be able to block well and use his frame to create enough space for Rodgers to get him the ball. If Greg comes back it's the cherry on top and time for every dime back the Packers face to have trouble getting sleep at night.
One reason Thompson may not feel that pressure is the fact that he does not have an egomaniacal billionaire standing over his shoulder impatiently waiting for when he gets to hear about the moves his team made. Thompson demands his way- no compromise. No desire to make headlines to appease the boss...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.