Skip to main content

The wheels are coming off the Bears. Again. From this morning, Fields blames coaching as to why he sucks.

He sees everybody blaming Joe Barry for the woes of the Packers defense, and figures he can blame coaches too.

@Boris posted:

This is beyond awful.....

But then you see some of the throws he made on the 90yd scoring drive late in the game.  He can make the throws, it's just not often or consistently enough.

I hope he keeps giving them just enough hope to keep himself around for a while longer.

Last edited by DH13

Schefter reposted the tweet I posted from Courtney

@Boris posted:

Schefter reposted the tweet I posted from Courtney

Tyson Bagent, undrafted rookie out of some place called Shepard University is now the backup.

What an absolute dumpster fire.  And people were worried about Clifford being our backup.

Last edited by vitaflo
@Dr._Bob posted:

There goes any humor in this situation.  Get out of football.

You know how the internet is.  Official statement from Williams is "health concerns and family issues", FWIW.

Of course if I was going to federal prison I'd also have some health concerns and family issues, so....

Last edited by vitaflo
@vitaflo posted:

The Bears have had plays where two WRs run the same route right next to each other two weeks in a row now. That’s definitely a coaching problem.

But Fields also waits until a guy is super wide open and looking back at him before he ever attempts to throw the ball.  That shit is on Justin.

Long may it continue.

@DH13 posted:

But then you see some of the throws he made on the 90yd scoring drive late in the game.  He can make the throws, it's just not often or consistently enough.

I hope he keeps giving them just enough hope to keep himself around for a while longer.

He's a perfect example of why you might want to stay in college another year. There's no question he has talent. But he needed more experience before jumping to the next level. And he had to go to the absolute worst place imaginable for a young qb. I'd love to see the kid somewhere else, in a pro style offense that actually coaches their qbs. As it stands, he's being ruined for any realistic opportunity he may get anywhere else. Coaching matters.

@artis posted:

He's a perfect example of why you might want to stay in college another year. There's no question he has talent. But he needed more experience before jumping to the next level. And he had to go to the absolute worst place imaginable for a young qb. I'd love to see the kid somewhere else, in a pro style offense that actually coaches their qbs. As it stands, he's being ruined for any realistic opportunity he may get anywhere else. Coaching matters.

I think there's a reason the best QB's don't always (usually?) come from the best college teams.  Fields was on a Buckeye team that had Chris Olave, Garret Willson, Jameson Williams and JSN on it.  When you have a stacked WR core you get used to just throwing to wide open guys all the time.  You never learn to make the hard throw because every throw is easy.

You see it in Fields play now.  He locks on receivers, and waits until they are wide open and looking at him before he throws it, just like he did in college.  But you can't get away with that in the NFL.

It's the one thing I appreciate about Love's game.  Love throws with anticipation and on rhythm.  Fields does not.  Certainly that's coaching, but I'm not sure an extra year at Ohio State would have helped Fields at all.  If anything it would have just ingrained his bad habits even more.

Week 1.... If we flip QBs - Fields in Green & Gold and Love starting for the Bears.

What's the final score?? Same?? Closer?? Flipped?!?!

Last edited by Boris
@vitaflo posted:

I think there's a reason the best QB's don't always (usually?) come from the best college teams.  Fields was on a Buckeye team that had Chris Olave, Garret Willson, Jameson Williams and JSN on it.  When you have a stacked WR core you get used to just throwing to wide open guys all the time.  You never learn to make the hard throw because every throw is easy.

You see it in Fields play now.  He locks on receivers, and waits until they are wide open and looking at him before he throws it, just like he did in college.  But you can't get away with that in the NFL.

It's the one thing I appreciate about Love's game.  Love throws with anticipation and on rhythm.  Fields does not.  Certainly that's coaching, but I'm not sure an extra year at Ohio State would have helped Fields at all.  If anything it would have just ingrained his bad habits even more.

Agreed. That's absolutely a major factor. I'm a second level Buckeye fan(due to the wife) so I watched nearly every snap Fields took at OSU. The same reasoning applies to every Buckeye qb in the past 20 years. Barrett, Pryor, Braxton Miller, Haskins, Cardale Jones were all faced with the challenge of adapting to a much higher level of defense in the NFL. None of them were able to take that step. Stroud's fate could easily end up the same.

When you're surrounded by the best recruits in the country, it's easy to think it will be just as easy when they turn pro. And like you said, Fields had a trove of great o-linemen, rbs, wrs. The upside to staying an extra year is the maturity level, not necessarily in the way of football knowledge. Both Fields and Stroud started just two years. The case could be made that a kid 20 or 21 lacks the emotional and intellectual maturity to transition smoothly to the big leagues. But I do take your point on that.

As far as JL, It's glaringly obvious that he sat and learned from a hof guy. In a number of ways, you can see Rodgers' influence on him in just two weeks. He's poised, he stands tall, he's following the progression of a play, and thus far seems to have  developed a clock in his head that defines pocket presence. Again to your point, both guys' routes to the NFL were unorthodox. Rodgers had to go the way of juco, Love found his way to a smaller school. Both had no choice but to prove their worth without a ton of fanfare or a dream team surrounding them.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.