Skip to main content

packaddict posted:

The offense finally started to look better when they finally started to use the middle of the field.  Why did it take so god damn long.

Part of it was the defense allowed it. Eats time. It was Grand Central Station inside much of the game. And a lot of what the Packers did well came off of scramble plays and the Vikings DL getting tired from rushing the passer. Bottom line is it wasn't any adjustment the Packer coaches made.

titmfatied posted:

The fire MM talk is a bit much, imo.  He ****ed up with the offseason changes last year.  He gets a chance to fix it next year. 

Yeah, one bad year, you buckle up and come back strong.

If they look this inept next year, then it's time to think about moving on.

The Ref fka Blair Kiel posted:

Maybe you ass-wipes can hope for Tomsula to be our new coach.

It's just not encouraging to see how poor this offense has been all year and MM having literally no solutions for it. The skill players aren't great...they aren't gonna be an explosive offense, I get that, but there really is no reason for them to be this completely inept. Every week this season there has been teams using backup QB's or teams with lesser weapons and they still don't look to struggle as often as this team does at passing the ball. Feels like every yard they gain is a fight

We have continued to see the same stuff, the same personnel. Any defense has such an easy time defending this offense. We aren't seeing any sort of wrinkles with the playcalling or even the personnel....at least not consistently. We've seen some changes in personnel for handful of plays but all in all it's been status quo

MM's shine has really worn off with how this season has played out. He won't be fired but I absolutely think he should treat this offseason as if his job depends on it. Dude needs to overhaul his staff....bring in some actual coordinators to run this offense and inject some new voices in the locker room

When you have Rodgers at QB, you can't accept play like this. It's looking like another wasted year of the Rodgers era

CAPackFan95 posted:
Herschel posted:

The sad thing is this is the best defense in Green Bay in the McCarthy era.

2010 defense absolutely lays you out and waves its finger in your face Dikembo Motumbo style.  

But, but Bishop.

I have to give part of the blame for Janis on the coaching staff.  Guy clearly has attributes and they've done just about nothing to get anything out of him.  If he can run that drag in preseason they have to find a way to coach him up enough to run it in the regular season. 

He doesn't have to run all the routes and adjust on the fly if  you find a way to give him a limited set to run with the plays designed for him. 

Goalline posted:
50k Club posted:

Kudos to Sitton for battling, even though he was out of position.  Linsley did not have a good game.

Everson Griffen is a tough match up. Sitton went to war with him.

Everson Griffith is also a drunken thug that should not be on an NFL roster 

CAPackFan95 posted:
Herschel posted:

2010 defense absolutely lays you out and waves its finger in your face Dikembo Motumbo style.  

I disagree. The 2010 defense played great in the playoffs, but they weren't that good during the season.

The defensive backs were better overall in 2010, but this front seven is playing better overall and the d-backs have played pretty well.

Last edited by Herschel
Va. Packer posted:
packaddict posted:

The offense finally started to look better when they finally started to use the middle of the field.  Why did it take so god damn long.

Part of it was the defense allowed it. Eats time. It was Grand Central Station inside much of the game. And a lot of what the Packers did well came off of scramble plays and the Vikings DL getting tired from rushing the passer. Bottom line is it wasn't any adjustment the Packer coaches made.

Garbage time

CAPackfan posted:

It's just not encouraging to see how poor this offense has been all year and MM having literally no solutions for it. The skill players aren't great...they aren't gonna be an explosive offense, I get that, but there really is no reason for them to be this completely inept. Every week this season there has been teams using backup QB's or teams with lesser weapons and they still don't look to struggle as often as this team does at passing the ball. Feels like every yard they gain is a fight

We have continued to see the same stuff, the same personnel. Any defense has such an easy time defending this offense. We aren't seeing any sort of wrinkles with the playcalling or even the personnel....at least not consistently. We've seen some changes in personnel for handful of plays but all in all it's been status quo

MM's shine has really worn off with how this season has played out. He won't be fired but I absolutely think he should treat this offseason as if his job depends on it. Dude needs to overhaul his staff....bring in some actual coordinators to run this offense and inject some new voices in the locker room

When you have Rodgers at QB, you can't accept play like this. It's looking like another wasted year of the Rodgers era

Yeah, it feels like the year of Ray Rhodes 

CAPackfan posted:

I completely agree but #12 needs to accept the fact that his accuracy was off this year as well and do something with his drills to get it back. He seemed to be putting a lot of air under the ball this year, and as shown tonight in the 4Q - when he throws a rope it is more effective.

Herschel posted:
CAPackFan95 posted:
Herschel posted:

I disagree. The 2010 defense played great in the playoffs, but they weren't that good during the season.

I disagree. Very good pass defense, one of the best in the league, and they got after the QB. That defense was much better than this year's defense but I will say that this year's defense is probably their best since 2010. This offense is the worst GB has had in a long time, though. I can't recall the last time a Packers offense was this horrible

Was the Rodgers "fumble" really a fumble? If so, it fooled everyone on the radio broadcast and me. It looked like he was hit, had his hand on the ball with his arm going forward for an incomplete pass. Oh well! 

Herschel posted:
CAPackFan95 posted:
Herschel posted:

2010 Regular Season
Pts/Game 2nd overall at 15.0

2015 Regular Season
Pts/Game 10th overall at 20.2

What's next?

mrtundra posted:

Was the Rodgers "fumble" really a fumble? If so, it fooled everyone on the radio broadcast and me. It looked like he was hit, had his hand on the ball with his arm going forward for an incomplete pass. Oh well! 

I would say the call was consistent with what is called a fumble these days in that situation. 

Herschel posted:
titmfatied posted:

The fire MM talk is a bit much, imo.  He ****ed up with the offseason changes last year.  He gets a chance to fix it next year. 

Some heat needs to be put on our GM too. I'll give a pass at WR because Nelson and Montgomery got hurt. And all the speed at WR (and yes I know about Janis but I said receiver) went with them. But the backups at OT and ILB (Barrington was no prize himself) were awful. Same thing has happened at S twice. The year Brett torched us in Minny and the year we ended up with MD Jennings and Jeron McMillian playing major minutes with CM3 being the lone pass rush threat.

I still don't understand why you think this is the end of the year.

Seriously.

There's at minimum one more game this season.

Your option to watch. I know I will watch, with aggravated favor for the Green Bay Packers.

mrtundra posted:

Didn't they tinker with that rule some? After all the "tuck rule" outcry.

If there was ever a reason for this team to rise up it was this week and they did not deliver 

The bottom line is losing 4 of your last 6 - and probably should have been 5 of 6 if not for the miracle in Detroit - is a sign of a team that's in a downward spiral 

I think it's a lot to expect to think they can right the ship.  It would be great if they did but not likely 

Cavetoad posted:

Seriously.

Your option to watch. I know I will watch, with aggravated favor for the Green Bay Packers.

You do realize for most adults it's possible to acknowledge and point out deficiencies and poor performance and still be fully engaged with said thing?  And, newsflash - sports is a silly emotional release for some people? 

I hope you don't have a job where your performance is judged yearly and both accomplishments and areas of improvement are discussed, I'd imagine you would react extremely poorly to anyone pointing out things you did not meet expectations on. 

CAPackFan95 posted:
Herschel posted:
CAPackFan95 posted:
Herschel posted:

2010 Regular Season
Pts/Game 2nd overall at 15.0

2015 Regular Season
Pts/Game 10th overall at 20.2

What's next?

And played with a lead and a functional offense that didn't leave them in a hole often.

I loved that defensive backfield, but when Howard Green is your line's savior essentially....

Last edited by Herschel
titmfatied posted:

I have to give part of the blame for Janis on the coaching staff.  Guy clearly has attributes and they've done just about nothing to get anything out of him.  If he can run that drag in preseason they have to find a way to coach him up enough to run it in the regular season. 

He doesn't have to run all the routes and adjust on the fly if  you find a way to give him a limited set to run with the plays designed for him. 

Absolutely agree.

Janis and Abby not even one snap tonight. I guess It is now live or die with Adams in the playoffs. Quarless doesn't seem to have figured into the equatio either, so I guess it is Richard Rogers for the duration.

Last edited by Pistol GB

A loss like this won't motivate them. They came out and laid this egg for the division against a rival in their own building after being shellacked by 30 the week prior. They just aren't a good team. The fast start helped them but they're a 4-6 team their last 10 games and a Hail Mary miracle away from being a 3-7 team

Last edited by CAPackfan
Va. Packer posted:
Herschel posted:
titmfatied posted:

Some heat needs to be put on our GM too. I'll give a pass at WR because Nelson and Montgomery got hurt. And all the speed at WR (and yes I know about Janis but I said receiver) went with them. But the backups at OT and ILB (Barrington was no prize himself) were awful. Same thing has happened at S twice. The year Brett torched us in Minny and the year we ended up with MD Jennings and Jeron McMillian playing major minutes with CM3 being the lone pass rush threat.

Agreed.

CAPackFan95 posted:
Herschel posted:

And played with a lead and a functional offense that didn't leave them in a hole often.

Facts, schmacts!  

Fact is, you glom on to a stat instead of looking at the big picture. It's probably semantics anyway as either are good enough to win a championship with so long as the offense can produce, which this one can't.

For the first 5 1/2 games of this season, this team really did look like a championship contender.   The turning point for the season was losing Montgomery to injury against the Chargers.  That alone didn't cause the downturn for the Pack, but I think that injury was the tipping point.  

After that, the offensive line started getting banged up and Eddie Lacy began to have enough problems that he no longer was a Pro Bowl caliber player like he had been the first 2 years.

The Pack is in the playoffs, but for this season, I think any chance of winning more than 1 playoff game is very slim.  Their ceiling is the divisional round, and I'd say it's pretty likely that this next Sunday is the final game for this season

CAPackFan95 posted:
Cavetoad posted:

Seriously.

You do realize for most adults it's possible to acknowledge and point out deficiencies and poor performance and still be fully engaged with said thing?  And, newsflash - sports is a silly emotional release for some people? 

I hope you don't have a job where your performance is judged yearly and both accomplishments and areas of improvement are discussed, I'd imagine you would react extremely poorly to anyone pointing out things you did not meet expectations on. 

I always exceed expectations.

I think the turning point of the season was when opposing defenses figured out how to basically shut the passing game down and the braintrust at 1265 had no answer. MM desperately needs to bring a fresh set of eyes in to evaluate the offense and retool as necessary.

Just saw the replay of the pick in the end zone. Aggghh. Man, Jones was open. Not used to seeing Rodgers play so poorly. 

Pack defense really played pretty well. Held Peterson down and Teddy couldn't do much. The fake punt and fumble return for touchdown were their big plays. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.