Skip to main content

@ProFootballTalk: Scott Tolzien scheduled for visit with Colts

Luck needs a back-up with Matt Hasselbeck's retirement. If Scotty goes there he'll see PT, Grigson has done a terrible job of getting pass blockers for Luck and in all likelihood the latter will get knocked out with injury again.

Last edited by ilcuqui

Have a q on me, no charge.

Thompson won't sign FAs who don't fit the Packers. Fit the team temperament. Fit in the locker room. Fit the team schemes. Fit the plan for the upcoming season. Or, fit the team salary structure. I'd bet the money/contract is not in the top 3 when Thompson is looking at FAs.

Last edited by H5
Boris posted:

Raiders have spent $57 million guaranteed over the last 3 days.

Signed Sean Smith from K.C. 4-years $40 mill

Hard to argue, they not only got good, young players but they had to spend $41 million to get to the cap floor. 

El-Ka-Bong posted:

It's settled then.  Traviathon wanted to come to Green Bay but Ted was not interested.  

We finally have our hard evidence.  

The reason he wasn't signed is because he is the type of inside LB that the Packers don't want.  When AJ Hawk and Brad Jones were here, the scheme was designed for the defensive lineman to keep the o-line off the the linebackers .  

"Totally selfless, Hawk forever praised Pickett, Raji, Howard Green and the other wide bodies for keeping him clean and thus able to flow unimpeded to the runner.

With Matthews and Palmer (6-2, 250) on the field, the Packers actually have substantial inside linebackers that don't get engulfed and can fend for themselves.

"Clay said something to me last week," Raji said. "He told me, 'B.J., don't worry about the (offensive) linemen. I can get off blocks. Go make a play.'

"We're taught to keep them free. Now you've got a linebacker telling you he doesn't care. I told him I wasn't going to make a living out of it. But he's literally allowing me to take chance."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports...129z1-331904641.html

Trevathan needs to be "kept clean" to make plays:  "There are negatives to Trevathan’s game. He has difficulty disengaging from linemen at the second level and can get washed out of plays."

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/20...ilb-danny-trevathan/

I just think he didn't fit the Packers current style of defense.

Last edited by slowmo
cuqui posted:

They won't miss a beat.

@MikeKlis: Broncos acquire Mark Sanchez from Philly for conditional [2017 7th round] draft pick. Process has begun.

Not a bad move for them. Denver made a playoff run with Tebow and Sanchez was a very effective game manager his first few years in New York for Rex Ryan. With that Denver defense, he's a good fit.

If they improve that running game then Sanchez can be serviceable. He led teams to back-to-back AFCC appearances with a strong run game and elite D. They need to keep CJ Anderson and beef up that OLine.

Great get, YA.

... I understand that the point of the NFL is not to hand out the best contracts, to start the season with the most cap space, or to build the youngest roster. It’s to win the Super Bowl. The thing is, that these players that many of you want Thompson to sign were by definition not important enough to their teams to be re-signed. They are all cast-offs. Every single one of them. Someone else could have been let go to allow these UFAs to stay.

The marginal players for the Packers have to be draft picks. They’re young, they’re (often) talented, and they’re cheap. The Packers need the cap space to try and keep talented players like Perry and Daniels on the team. It’s just the way that Ted does things, and if you put his record over the last decade up against other organizations, I think you’d understand that it’s yeoman’s work.

Agreed, don't think I've seen that site before. Great post.

Regardless of opinion on whether or not Thompson needs to look outside of the org more often, no one can deny his track record of retaining his own talent, typically at well below market rates.

Not a bad gig in the NFL. I'm sure there is a part of him that would really like to start but that's a nice set up he's gotten holding a clipboard for millions sitting behind 2 franchise QBs. Doug Pederson had a nice career doing the same thing.

IL_Pack_Fan posted:

Agreed, don't think I've seen that site before. Great post.

Regardless of opinion on whether or not Thompson needs to look outside of the org more often, no one can deny his track record of retaining his own talent, typically at well below market rates.

I completely agree TT retains his own whenever possible. (He also has a pretty good track record of letting his own players go when they need to go).

However, I vigorously disagree that TT "typically [retains his own talent] at well below market rates." TT is not cheap and he pays players, he just limits his largesse to his own guys (save Peppers & Guion).

AJ Hawk and Brad Jones have to be 2 of the most overpaid inside linebackers of the past decade -- unless you include Clay Matthews who was signed to be an outside, pass rushing linebacker, but has instead been the highest-paid (but hardly the most productive) inside linebacker in the NFL the past 1.5 years.

Morgan Burnett was not re-signed at well below market rate. Many would argue he was overpaid -- at least at the beginning of his contract. Similarly, Sam Shields, Bryan Bulaga, BJ Raji, Andrew Quarless, Mike Neal, Randall Cobb, Mason Crosby, and Nick Perry cannot be said to have been underpaid based on the market and their respective performances.   

Heck, fortunately for TT, Greg Jennings and BJ Raji both spurned (in-season) contract offers that they never would have gotten on the open market from other teams. They too would have been wildly overpaid had they signed the contracts they were reported to have been offered. 

The Mike Daniels and Jordy Nelson contracts certainly look like good deals for the team. Maybe Lang and Sitton as well, though they are hardly playing on bargain contracts.

The reality is that when you pretty much only sign your own players sometimes you pay a hometown premium rather than getting a hometown discount and that has certainly been true for the Packers the past several years.

El-Ka-Bong posted:

Trying to live up to Jim Sorgi's legend

"Jesus I hope we’re still looking at other options"

-Colts fan responding to Indy signing Tolzien as back-up on PFT. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.