Skip to main content

Fandame posted:
packerboi posted:

What's maddening to me is that TT spent a 1st round pick and a 2nd in drafting Randall and Rollins, then playing them out of position. It's one thing to take a flier on a 4th or 5th rounder and hope to convert him from safety to corner. An entirely different story when your whiffing on high draft picks when the experiment blows up in your face. 

I wonder if TT made the picks and then told the coaches where to play them? Or did the the coaches tell TT they could make those players into what they needed and then TT drafted them from the D coaches' input?

My guess it is neither. Which is why we now have Muprhy's Communication Plan.

Thompson never appeared to interfere or interject his opinion on the coaches and how they determined the fate of the players - depth chart, playing time, etc... And, he is the one who made the statement "This is not a democracy, at some point I make the call", or something like that, with regard to player acquisition.

Last edited by H5

From JSonline:

This is the kind of **** that drives me crazy.  Seriously, how can GOC be considered a viable HC when he couldn't see how ****ed up the defense was under Capers?  It's pretty clear how defensive talent was completely squandered to the point of flat out wrecking the player.  They were already starting the process with Jones.  What a ****ing waste of time.  This is the kind of stuff that makes it abundantly clear GOC needs to hit the bricks after being completely outed last year.

Rather than training Jones at both safety and inside linebacker, the Packers plan to use him only at safety in the coming months.

“I think he’s another one of those guys that has the ability to be an impact player,” McCarthy said. “We probably tried to do a little bit too much with him last year, you know? 

I seriously can't get past this.  How much better would TT's drafts stand up to scrutiny if there was a ****ing coach who could actually coach and utilize all the defensive picks over the years?

Don't worry!  Winston Moss still has a god damn job. 

Last edited by Henry
YATittle posted:
FLPACKER posted:

I never got over the whole Kaepernick debacle. How MM could ever trust Capers' ability after seeing him so utterly unprepared for that game is beyond me. 

This

Absolutely true. Capers' defense that day was totally and completely unprepared in every way.  There was no sense of urgency, they looked totally lost, and looked like they were running in cement.  I get it that MM probably was thinking that it was a bad game by the defense.  But, what baffles me is that Capers still had a job for what 5 or 6 more years after that game?

From a coaching standpoint you want to make sure that your players are prepared for anything the opponent does. That is why you practice, to prepare for the game. MM had to know that the defense was totally unprepared for the option game as the game unfolded....the players pretty much confirmed this afterwards saying that they barely practiced vs. the option. Many  argued that Capers should get a pass, since the option was a college offense at the time. However, with the coach's job is to anticipate every scenario and have his players prepared for it. In addition, he had Eric Walden "spying" Kap on pass plays, a total mismatch in the open field. 

That CK game...it wasn't that SF hadn't shown the look before on O.  They showed some of it with success earlier in the regular season when CK came in for Smith.  If they had never shown it before, I would almost give DC a pass because pretty much every team who saw it for the first time had problems defending it until they had time to study the new tape and design a plan to stop it.  And everybody eventually did which is why you only see it sporadically these days.

If you want to claim a good DC needs to adjust better in-game to any surprises, then yeah.  They usually didn't do that very well.

As Bob Knight always preached "anticipate , don't react" . You anticipate what they may do & develop a plan to stop it. If that plan does not work, you make adjustments & go to plan "B". You have no chance if you never anticipated what they actually do, and thus never had a plan to stop it.....especially if your players have never seen it. If it is something they saw earlier in the season, then, although not optimal, you can say "remember when we saw this vs. ______ & we did this"? When the team has never seen it, you must prepare for it to have a chance. 

Interesting they singled out Dix in the article. Dix also has that big blow up with the normally reserved Julius Peppers in his rookie year. We keep hearing about what a great communicator Burnett was on the D, but it was the secondary that seemingly had the most communication issues. To be fair to him he was out for a period of time though. It will be telling who the problem is based on who continues to make mental mistakes despite the coaching change.

Blake Martinez taking a leadership role as a signal caller is going to help, I think. Seems like the right guy for the job. 

I get the angst for McCarthy... it would seem he has received a similar message from his bosses in that he’s stripping everything down and rebuilding. Having Philbin helps as well. It would appear he knows his job is on the line. When the Packers make Rodgers the richest player in NFL history, they’re certainly not going to put up with lost seasons. Win now, or this thing is a train wreck. 

Randall should have looked in the mirror when talking about accountability. The article makes me wonder if Burnett was the problem in not making good in-play adjustments or if some guys just didn’t listen/care. Either way, it should have stopped at COmpers’ desk. I’m ok with Martinez getting a shot at communicator. At least he seemed to know how to attack a play or see what was coming since he tied for most tackles in the league. And I like his approach—learning all 11 positions.

Randall did have a legit gripe about accountability though. He seemingly got benched a couple times while Dix was missing easy tackles and blowing coverages, same for Jones and others. If he was pissed that he was being held accountable while others weren’t, he has a point. Publicly airing his grievances is not the way to handle that though and ultimately it’s likely why he was shipped off at a discount. Pettine probably didn’t want to deal with that crap.

Grave Digger posted:

Randall ......it’s likely why he was shipped off at a discount. 

You call getting the #1 overall pick in the 4th & 5th rounds plus a 22 year old QB, "a discount"??

Don't know how much more you were expecting.

Grave Digger posted:

Randall did have a legit gripe about accountability though. 

1 more thing....**** him!!

His job is to play football not worry about who the coaches are holding accountable.

Just like MM said, "He needs to keep his own house clean."

F**K him!

Last edited by Boris

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.