Skip to main content

What’s he supposed to say, β€œI don’t need back-up, I want to be in on every play”?

(Come to think of it, that is exactly what I’d like him to say.  Even if he doesn’t mean it.)

Patrick’s right, not a lot of forethought into that answer. More like Clay just repeating what the pundits have been saying all through free agency and the draft.

Not a good sound bite, but not a big deal either. It’s absolutely true.

Henry posted:

Clay repeating what pundits say when he has first hand knowledge of the situation. 

Okay. 

My point was, he’s not thinking who he’s dissing. It’s one thing for reporters to say it. He’s not realizing he can’t really do it too.

And coming from the guy who took himself out of the NFCC disaster at Seattle? Yeah maybe leave that one alone Clay.

Last edited by Pistol GB
Pistol GB posted:
Henry posted:

Clay repeating what pundits say when he has first hand knowledge of the situation. 

Okay. 

My point was, he’s not thinking who he’s dissing. It’s one thing for reporters to say it. He’s not realizing he can’t really do it too.

And coming from the guy who took himself out of the NFCC disaster at Seattle? Yeah maybe leave that one alone Clay.

I don't disagree but ****, he may be committing some kind of Mea Culpa here.  That rotation sucks and there is no way Matthews and Perry will hold up on a heavy snap count.  Maybe Biegel and Gilbert show something but how many times have we been down this path?  

Gootypoot could still grab guys on waivers, so there's that.  As it stands, I don't think Clay said anything wrong in the least. 

Henry posted:

I don't disagree but ****, he may be committing some kind of Mea Culpa here.  That rotation sucks and there is no way Matthews and Perry will hold up on a heavy snap count.  Maybe Biegel and Gilbert show something but how many times have we been down this path?  

Gootypoot could still grab guys on waivers, so there's that.  As it stands, I don't think Clay said anything wrong in the least. 

Maybe it's best to actually see what the team looks like going in to week 1 before sounding off on it not being good enough. Gute has more than 3 months to finish off the final roster, a lot can happen in that time...veterans will be cut or put on the trade black during TC after they see what they have in their rookies, there will likely be some opportunities to improve. Clay was right, but wrong to say it. 

"veterans will be cut or put on the trade black during TC after they see what they have in their rookies, "

I can't think of a team that is so stacked at any position that their TC cuts are likely to make a difference for another team. Sure, they may get signed and even start but only because the bar is set so low.

The waiver wire is not a path to the playoffs.

Grave Digger posted:
Henry posted:

Maybe it's best to actually see what the team looks like going in to week 1 before sounding off on it not being good enough. Gute has more than 3 months to finish off the final roster, a lot can happen in that time...veterans will be cut or put on the trade black during TC after they see what they have in their rookies, there will likely be some opportunities to improve. Clay was right, but wrong to say it. 

Especially with Opie Whizburger onboard! 

grignon posted:

"veterans will be cut or put on the trade black during TC after they see what they have in their rookies, "

I can't think of a team that is so stacked at any position that their TC cuts are likely to make a difference for another team. Sure, they may get signed and even start but only because the bar is set so low.

The waiver wire is not a path to the playoffs.

Not so sure about that.  See Desmond Howard and Andre Rison.

I was responding to a suggestion that waivers would improve what is, right now, an average (at best)  pass rush. Good ones are almost exclusively drafted in the first round.  Fackrell's are always available.

The Packers have decided that improving the receiver/D-back matchup is easier than the edge/tackle contest. I agree. Forcing the QB away from his 1st look makes for a better pass rush.

If you go through history you'll find  play makers acquired via every route. You'll find hundreds if you count the guys who basically only made one play.

Last year at this time, the outside linebackers were Matthews, Perry, Fackrell, Elliott, and possibly Gilbert. Biegel was injured. Then, after Fackrell looked so feeble in camp, TT did the unthinkable for him and signed Brooks and Elliott was gone.

At this point, the outside linebackers appear to be Matthews, Perry, Gilbert, Biegel, and Fackrell in that order.

If Gut can bring in a vet of Brooks' caliber or better, the position should be an improvement heading into the season if for no other reason than Biegel is healthy and Fackrell will not get playing time in order to try and justify his selection in the 3rd round. 

I didn’t say Brooks was a difference maker, but he was an improvement on Fackrell and Elliot. He set the edge well and had a few pressures, he was adequate. We may get more than we expected from Biegel and Reggie Gilbert seemed to make a jump from TC to when he was activated last year, he had some juice as a speed rusher. Not saying we’re fine, but I don’t think this is the final group that we see in September.

Grave Digger posted:

No we’re not going to find a difference maker, but we can find an improvement on Fackrell. Ahmad Brooks was a late edition last year, he improved the pass rush and the position group overall.

If by improve you mean 1.5 sacks and 13 tackles, I agree.  Gotta believe we can get that production just about anywhere though.

I mean... Fackrell had 3 sacks last year.  

Last edited by Pakrz

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.