Skip to main content

YATittle posted:

Tweet from Ryan Wood: #Packers coach Mike McCarthy says backup QB Brett Hundley's fundamentals have improved since last season. His footwork is better, he said, and he's more comfortable in the classroom.

Hahahahaha

It's not as if Hundley could regress.

YATittle posted:
BrainDed posted:
Hungry5 posted:

Sorry, no way that dream comes true. 

Viks ain't trouncing anyone in the playoffs.

...and we all know MM doesn't go for two when he should.

In the dream it was a regular PAT but a bad snap and Opie picked it up and threw it to the TE in the end zone. Weird play.

And the play-by-play announcer was so stunned all he could manage was:

"OPIE WIZBANGER!, OPIE WIZBANGER!, OPIE WIZBANGER!"

YATittle posted:

No other team has hired Capers, have they?

Wonder why? I heard in a press conference that he was an excellent football coach.

Come on YA don't misquote MM: 

“This is no time for drama. Dom Capers is an outstanding football coach. That doesn’t change.”

https://madison.com/wsj/sports...57-4032ddc3b01b.html 

SteveLuke posted:
YATittle posted:

No other team has hired Capers, have they?

Wonder why? I heard in a press conference that he was an excellent football coach.

Come on YA don't misquote MM: 

“This is no time for drama. Dom Capers is an UNEMPLOYED outstanding football coach. That doesn’t change.”

https://madison.com/wsj/sports...57-4032ddc3b01b.html 

FTFY, SteveL!

Rodgers was diplomatic, but pointed. It sounds like Rodgers is being challenged in TC as well by Pet's D, and that will help keep him interested and fresh. You could hear the "Dom Capers sucks" when he was saying how other teams did a good job pressuring and disguising. 

I posted this in another thread but it makes more sense here.  In response to another poster suggesting Pettine's D has been "bland" so far.

One glaring difference I see with the D so far is how effective their blitzes are.  I believe they're #1 in that category.  Pettine knows how to scheme open free blitzers.  How many times did we see a blitzer in Dom's D get completely stonewalled.

Last edited by DH13
DH13 posted:

I posted this in another thread but it makes more sense here.  In response to another poster suggesting Pettine's D has been "bland" so far.

One glaring difference I see with the D so far is how effective their blitzes are.  I believe they're #1 in that category.  Pettine knows how to scheme open free blitzers.  How many times did we see a blitzer in Dom's D get completely stonewalled.

Bland?  I'll take boring ass defense if it's getting the job done.  Blitzes getting home, without any real LB support?  I'll take bland.

i want to reserve judgement until at least 1/2 way through the season.  offensive teams are one gauge, but pettine could be holding stuff back also until everyone gets onboard and know the assignments.  so it could get better or could get worse...one thing for sure, the cb play is way better than last year and that feeds everything else, esp when pass first is the motto in today's nfl.

The D can be described at inconsistent.  There are times this year where they are definitely improved. My biggest concern is safety play which has been atrocious.  A healthy King would be a huge plus.  It is easier to blitz when you have good cover corners. 

pkr_north posted:

i want to reserve judgement until at least 1/2 way through the season.  offensive teams are one gauge, but pettine could be holding stuff back also until everyone gets onboard and know the assignments.  so it could get better or could get worse...one thing for sure, the cb play is way better than last year and that feeds everything else, esp when pass first is the motto in today's nfl.

Makes sense.  It's encouraging to see the looks the defense is giving.  If they stay healthyish this will be a tight group.  We haven't seen what Breeland can contribute either.

Wolf said CB was the most important position behind QB and OT.  GerrHerrDerr went with what he could get.  I should say he should get a nod for Morrison.  The guy has been pretty good as a run stopper.  Now let's see what Owen Burks brings to the table.

Last edited by Henry
GratefulPack posted:

The D can be described at inconsistent.  There are times this year where they are definitely improved. My biggest concern is safety play which has been atrocious.  A healthy King would be a huge plus.  It is easier to blitz when you have good cover corners. 

Breeland at CB, Tramon at Safety.  Brice and Whitehead aren't great options and you're stuck with Dix for now.

Yeah....easy to blitz Woodson when you had Nick Collins .Sam "4.3" Shields & Tramon all in their prime. 

That was such a fun season. Ups & downs. 10-6 record. #6 seed. Beating the Bears in the NFC Championship game. Super Bowl win. Don't get much better than that.

I hope Pettine can get it together. I long for the days of Fritz Shurmur's defense. They intimidated the offense and attacked the other team by playing aggressively. I know we had different players back then than we do now, but I don't remember the corners being all-pro and they weren't the fastest corners and safeties in the league but they still jammed the wide receivers and tight end at the line of scrimmage. Defense is a large part attitude, and ours stinks. We play tepid and overly cautious. I'd like to see more aggression. Don't even care if the DBs get burned deep once in a while as long as we don't play off 15 yards from the LOS. Look on the bright side; one we can't do much worse, and two we get the ball back quicker for our offense if the other team scores on long TD passes. Don't know if the players are soft or what but let's see some Chuck Cecil and Wayne Simmons type hitting back there.  

DH13 posted:

Then get ready to be buried in flags.  Current rules prohibit almost everything you're asking for.

The CB's on that team were good to very good.  Butler should be in the HOF.

LeRoy Butler and Sterling Sharpe should both be in the HOF.

Iron posted:

I hope Pettine can get it together. I long for the days of Fritz Shurmur's defense. They intimidated the offense and attacked the other team by playing aggressively. I know we had different players back then than we do now, but I don't remember the corners being all-pro and they weren't the fastest corners and safeties in the league but they still jammed the wide receivers and tight end at the line of scrimmage. Defense is a large part attitude, and ours stinks. We play tepid and overly cautious. I'd like to see more aggression. Don't even care if the DBs get burned deep once in a while as long as we don't play off 15 yards from the LOS. Look on the bright side; one we can't do much worse, and two we get the ball back quicker for our offense if the other team scores on long TD passes. Don't know if the players are soft or what but let's see some Chuck Cecil and Wayne Simmons type hitting back there.  

Today's game cannot be compared to the '90's game.

It is a new era, an offensive era. Offensive in every meaning of the word.

I really miss a defense being able (read allowed) to take a game over and dominate. Rather than relying on your opponent to make a mistake..

The NFLFU just isn't so much fun any longer.

Yeah, especially as someone that has watched the NFL for 40+ years, it is kind of sad that the defensive guys are now the ones that are scared.  They're afraid of a big fine from the NFL come Tuesday morning and it definitely affects how the game is played.

Unfortunately for us old timers, the game will never go back to what it once was.  The track meets are going to be pretty much commonplace from this point forward.  Guys like Roger Goodell, Jerry Jones, and the other band of bozos really don't care how the game is played as long as they're making Billions.  It will never be a fair game for the defense ever again.

The league wants every game to be like that Patriots-Chiefs game - 43-40 with a ton of 4th quarter excitement.  And problem is, we all agree!  Yes we want out own team to have a shut down defense but if you're at home watching a Sunday night game without your team participating, you want 43-40 with 4th quarter excitement.  Well maybe not every fan, but the large majority do and the league has acquiesced. 

Not to defend the owners but higher scoring equals higher ratings.  And obviously higher ratings equals more money.  Until a 9-6 game has higher ratings than 43-40, football will keep trending towards the offense.  

Daniels has been fine. Clark has been very good. Lowry has been passable.

The problem is how many snaps can Daniels and Clark play and continue to play well?

With Wilkerson down, the obvious next guy up candidate is Montravious Adams.

Why he has hardly seen the field is a big mystery. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.