Skip to main content

The NFLFU has got lost in the forest and can no longer see the trees.
Remember the good ol' mud games in the rain? Well, we can't have these superstars playing on a field like that, by golly, so stadiums went to artificial turf.
So what do we have nowadays? Shitty play from these superstars on a field that looks like carpet in the rain.

So it was decided that the NFLFU is a "QB-driven league", and here came the "tuck rule", then a defender can't hit a QB low, then can't hit 'em high, and now, they can't hit 'em at all.
What's the net result? A handful of QBs who are dominant, a lot more that are considered average, and another handful that are just awful.
Kinda like the old days, no?

I agree with most of the complaints about what the game has become and why but let's not forget they're also trying to fix the CTE problem.  While they also have their own $elf intere$t$ in mind, they are addressing a very serious problem that I don't think most fans enjoy seeing or hear about the effects of.  Limiting shots to the head has to be an emphasis whether it benefits the offense or not.

SteveLuke posted:

With Wilkerson down, the obvious next guy up candidate is Montravious Adams.

Why he has hardly seen the field is a big mystery. 

Of course, we don't get to see practices, and don't know if he is dumb as a bag of rocks, but I can't see the sense in not having Adams rotated in. Especially when facing rush-heavy teams like the Rams.
I don't care about Daniels as much as I do Clark, but I'd prefer neither of them get worn down before the season is half over.

From today's paper: 

Aside from some miscommunication inside the red zone, Packers defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said nothing has frustrated him through the season’s first six games like the explosive plays his defense has allowed.

The Packers' defense has strung together stretches of solid play. When they’ve struggled, it’s usually been because of big pass plays – especially down the middle of the field. The Packers have allowed four touchdown passes of at least 30 yards in four games, including 67- and 30-yard touchdown passes to 49ers receiver Marquise Goodwin in their last outing.

“That’s certainly a source of frustration,” Pettine said, “because they’re – some of them are technical issues, some of them are schematic. But those are plays, I mean, it’s the NFL. We’ve got to make them. That’s the difference between good defenses and great ones.

“If you can force teams to drive the length of the field on you – and I’ve never been a proponent of bend but don’t break, I don’t believe in that – but you’ve got to force teams, if they’re going to score, to drive the length of the field. You can’t give them easy, chunk plays, and unfortunately we’ve given up too many.”

Brice. It's Brice. Haha, too.

Adams apparently isn’t showing much.  Yes, he may be another “TT slipped a gear” picks but it’s not like he was a flyer pick either.  Missing that rookie season obviously is harder for some to make up than others.  

I do get NT/DT can be a difficult position to learn but he’s not even seeing the field.  They’re basically playing with a 3 man “rotation” at this point. 

No pass rush, gaping safety play to go along with expected rookie mistakes and 3 guys playing a bajillion snaps.  I think Pettine already deserves a nod of approval. 

Last edited by Henry
YATittle posted:

From today's paper: 

Aside from some miscommunication inside the red zone, Packers defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said nothing has frustrated him through the season’s first six games like the explosive plays his defense has allowed.

The Packers' defense has strung together stretches of solid play. When they’ve struggled, it’s usually been because of big pass plays – especially down the middle of the field. The Packers have allowed four touchdown passes of at least 30 yards in four games, including 67- and 30-yard touchdown passes to 49ers receiver Marquise Goodwin in their last outing.

“That’s certainly a source of frustration,” Pettine said, “because they’re – some of them are technical issues, some of them are schematic. But those are plays, I mean, it’s the NFL. We’ve got to make them. That’s the difference between good defenses and great ones.

“If you can force teams to drive the length of the field on you – and I’ve never been a proponent of bend but don’t break, I don’t believe in that – but you’ve got to force teams, if they’re going to score, to drive the length of the field. You can’t give them easy, chunk plays, and unfortunately we’ve given up too many.”

Brice. It's Brice. Haha, too.

I love that bald, angry man. 

This is what I like about Pettine. It seemed like Dom was a proponent of the "bend-but-don't-break style" but instead it was always "bend, bend, beeennnd, SNAP." Yes, so far it's been huge chunks given up, but if that can be fixed with a new safety and/or smarter play then those plays go away and the D is one of the best.

I know the D gave up 29, but I thought they played pretty well today.

Funny thing is I was sitting at a bar watching. Didn't expect to respond here but I did see the game. NFL did what they do to keep the game close but Pack had their chance. Too bad.

FYI....Bucks are 6-0!

They were gassed by the end, especially the DL who played out of their mind early. They set the tone for sure. Fackrell continues to be our best OLB, and I’m only half joking with that statement. He and Perry are the only ones who consistently set the edge in the running game and that sack he had was a nice move against a good LT. I did actually see Clay set an edge today though, I also saw Perry give up an edge trying to knife inside and Gilbert give it up trying to rush upfield. Say what you will about Fack’s lack of talent, but he’s not playing bad football this year...I guess even Jarrett Bush made a play every once in a while though.

Last edited by Grave Digger
Brainwashed Boris posted:

I know the D gave up 29, but I thought they played pretty well today.

Funny thing is I was sitting at a bar watching. Didn't expect to respond here but I did see the game. NFL did what they do to keep the game close but Pack had their chance. Too bad.

FYI....Bucks are 6-0!

27, and thanks to our punter they only needed 10 yards to get another 3.  

Henry posted:

I just like the fact he admits there's a problem and talks about what they are trying to do.  The country club is gone.

I freaking love his mentality and yes the easy days of Ernest Capers are long gone.  I think we are starting to see what his defenses could be capable of given all the right pieces AND he will hold everyone accountable and doesn't give two $h+s if he hurts someone's feelings.

Grave Digger posted:

They were gassed by the end, especially the DL who played out of their mind early. They set the tone for sure. Fackrell continues to be our best OLB, and I’m only half joking with that statement. He and Perry are the only ones who consistently set the edge in the running game and that sack he had was a nice move against a good LT. I did actually see Clay set an edge today though, I also saw Perry give up an edge trying to knife inside and Gilbert give it up trying to rush upfield. Say what you will about Fack’s lack of talent, but he’s not playing bad football this year...I guess even Jarrett Bush made a play every once in a while though.

I think the confusing reads and different blitzes are helping everyone up their game some.  Maybe it finally clicks for Fackrell and Moss gets fired with McVince.

Probably so, but that sack Fackrell had was a thing of beauty and wasn't on a stunt or twist. Whitworth is a good LT and Goff needs to step up in the pocket, but yeah it may actually be clicking. 

Last edited by Grave Digger
Henry posted:

Adams apparently isn’t showing much.  Yes, he may be another “TT slipped a gear” picks but it’s not like he was a flyer pick either.  Missing that rookie season obviously is harder for some to make up than others.  

I do get NT/DT can be a difficult position to learn but he’s not even seeing the field.  They’re basically playing with a 3 man “rotation” at this point. 

No pass rush, gaping safety play to go along with expected rookie mistakes and 3 guys playing a bajillion snaps.  I think Pettine already deserves a nod of approval. 

I concur, Dr. 

His chicken salad is as palatable as can be with the ingredients he inherited. 

How about the performance from Alexander yesterday.    I watched at the bar with friends so maybe I missed some things, but at first watch it looked like one of the best CB performances we have seen from a Packer in a long time.  No turnovers, but it felt like he had about 8 pass breakups. 

Passer rating of 96.7 allowed though. They need 2 starting Safeties if they want to sniff a top 10 defense. They need CM3, Gilbert, and Perry to set an edge and be more disciplined against the run. Martinez and our SSs need to improve their vision and decision making as well, I see them all overrun far too often. Teams have been chewing up yards on those cutbacks. 

Pettine is doing a great job. Pretty impressive when you are able to field solid defensive results when you have garbage at Safety, OLB, and one decent ILB(Hopefully Burks can become a solid player). 

Packdog posted:

Pettine is doing a great job. Pretty impressive when you are able to field solid defensive results when you have garbage at Safety, OLB, and one decent ILB(Hopefully Burks can become a solid player). 

You are absolutely right.  Pettine is squeezing every last drop of effort out of these guys even though they lack talent/depth at certain positions.  They give up some big plays and some big yards but it sure is nice to watch them and see how improved that D really is.  They have a way to go but I sure do like the direction they are headed.

I think Pettine is doing a good job and may be getting a better effort from the group, but I think also Gute has gotten rid of the low effort guys and brought in better attitudes. Switching out Randall/Rollins for Alexander/Jackson and HaHa for Tramon has made a world of difference in terms of effort in the secondary. Wish they still had Hyde, he would be perfect in this scheme. 

DH13 posted:

This D is about 2LB's and a S short of being really good.

Pardons for stepping out of the Vikings Suck thread, but I'm still thinking the Pack should play a 4-3 D.

Better players on the d-line than LB, get 'em on the field.  My 2 cents.

We are 20th in "average yards gained per pass attempt", which IMHO is the number one pass defense stat. We just played 2 offenses that are in the top 10 in that stat so hopefully it will come down

Last edited by FLPACKER
Brown Paper Sack AGAIN posted:
DH13 posted:

Pardons for stepping out of the Vikings Suck thread, but I'm still thinking the Pack should play a 4-3 D.

How'd you get out???? Who's minding the store around here now?? 1281077762avatar

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 1281077762avatar
Last edited by Packiderm
Brown Paper Sack AGAIN posted:
DH13 posted:

Come on, man.  Nobody really exclusively plays either 43 or 34 anymore.  Most 3-4's, Pettine's included, have 4-3 looks.  Not to mention the sub packages.  It's also easier to find 240lb edge rushers (34) than it is to find 295lb edge rushers (43) in the draft.  Both are critical to their respective defense's pass rush and overall success.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.