Skip to main content

michiganjoe posted:

From Demovsky's Camp Report:

"4) If Mike McCarthy was criticized for running a soft training camp, then what will be said about LaFleur’s first two padded practices, which went 1:40 and 1:51? To be sure, LaFleur holds 45-minute evening walk-throughs that the media and public are not privy to, but last year’s first full-pads practice under McCarthy went 2:41. It was one of five practices that lasted more than two-and-a-half hours. β€œThe places I’ve been, I think we can get the work that needs to be done in a shorter period of time,” LaFleur said."

Demovsky doesn't seem to know his football history. Lombardi ran shorter practices than practically anyone in the league. Bud Wilkinson was 149-25 at OU and always said "more is not always better" when asked why he didn't run practices as long as some competitors. 

FLPACKER posted:
michiganjoe posted:

From Demovsky's Camp Report:

"4) If Mike McCarthy was criticized for running a soft training camp, then what will be said about LaFleur’s first two padded practices, which went 1:40 and 1:51? To be sure, LaFleur holds 45-minute evening walk-throughs that the media and public are not privy to, but last year’s first full-pads practice under McCarthy went 2:41. It was one of five practices that lasted more than two-and-a-half hours. β€œThe places I’ve been, I think we can get the work that needs to be done in a shorter period of time,” LaFleur said."

Demovsky doesn't seem to know his football history. Lombardi ran shorter practices than practically anyone in the league. Bud Wilkinson was 149-25 at OU and always said "more is not always better" when asked why he didn't run practices as long as some competitors. 

John Gagliardi, winningest college coach.....

Gagliardi was known for his unique coaching approach, which he called "Winning with No's." He instructed his players not to call him "coach", did not use a whistle or blocking sleds, prohibited tackling in practices, did not require his players to lift weights, and limited his team practices to 90 minutes.

Less is more?

Last edited by Pikes Peak
FinnLander posted:
YATittle posted:

Trevor Davis supposedly having a strong camp so far, coming out early every day to field punts. Looks like he’s realizing this is his last shot

Who exactly decided that this was his last shot?  And where was it announced?

Well he’s on the last year of his deal, so I think it’s fair to say if he doesn’t make something out of this year then he’s going to have a hard time showing some kind of body of work to get another contract. His speed and return ability is the reason he may get invited to camps, but he really needs to show something this year to save his career from falling off a cliff...and by show something I mean he needs to earn PT as a receiver and show he has enough to justify a roster spot.

Last edited by michiganjoe

Man, funny how impressive Hollman has been thus far. Few if any knew of this kid prior to Gutekunst taking him in the 6th Round. Sounds like he has been lighting it up. As Ron Wolf used to say, you can never have to many good DBs.

On that note, good to see Josh Jones is getting some run in the secondary after he and management apparently made up after his hold out through OTAs. This is possibly the best outcome we could have hoped for, especially if he really buys in and contributes. He's got the athleticism, size, speed, and really just needed the commitment to be flexible with how Pettine wants to use him.

Z Smith sounds impressive as hell. Good day for our Defense.

packerboi posted:

Liking the 'tude:

I freaking love the quote by MLF.  It really is impressive to me that we now have a head coach that actually pays attention to the defense.  

Yeah, Pettine is or was definitely a press coverage guy.   Not sure why Gork would take a guy that looks like a strictly zone guy.  Pettine has been pretty innovative so I guess we'll see what happens.

Isn't Hollman pretty scrawny?  Tramon was a good press guy in his day but I'm waiting to see if Hollman holds up when the bullets start flying.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.